Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
chalkjhawk79

Where do you get your ingredients?

I was curious to know if there was an online distributor that a lot of people used (other than MB obviously) for their ingredients? By ingredients I'm really talking about extract and hops. Or, do you get the bulk of that at your LBHS? I'm looking at getting some ingredients online but want to get them from a well established, credible website. Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks!

I've been getting my malt at LHBS, but I understand DME Mart has good product and prices. I' started getting my hops at Willamette Valley. The variety is a bit limited, but the prices are terrific and the quality seems fine.

DME Mart (minimum order is 12 lbs)

Willamette Valley Hops

I'm sure there are many other good places, too.

[uPDATE] Austin Homebrew, my LHBS, has decent prices on malts and happens to have free shipping this Saturday and Sunday.

Austin Homebrew

Currently I get all mine from my LHBS only, though I do have a little bit left from my MB brew club orders

Ive been getting alot from AIH. They have decent prices for grain and hops.
Plus they have amazing customer service and a rewards club.
I get some from Northern Brewer, I used to use Midwest,but their shipping is outrageous.

Adventures in homebrewing

as for online I have had pretty good service from

Austin Homebrew supply
morebeer.com
Northernbrewer
rebalbrewer

I usually go to Bells Brewery and shop at there general store, but have had good service with them over the net and over the phone as well.

The only 3 I'd really get behind are:

Austin Homebrew (austinhomebrew.com) -- The big caution here would be to watch the temps in TX if you're thinking about buying yeast. It might be 75 or 80 in DC where I live, but it could be 98 in Austin, TX. The yeast may very easily die in shipping before it ever leave the state.

The big advantage of Austin is that you can get grains in individual bags (for example, I wanted to add CaraPils to my beer to improve head and body). I was able to order 5 bags of 8 oz of CaraPils. 5 batches covered right there. Also you can create your BIAB. You can put a mix of grains all in one bag and be ready to roll.

------------

Rebel Brewer (rebelbrewer.com) is has a unique selection of grains. Hard to find Briess Bonlander (an amped up Munich) anywhere else.

------------

NorthernBrewer (northernbrewer.com) Now that Northern has Marris Otter as an LME...I'm all over that.

The suggestions for online suppliers already given are excellent ones. I usually use Northern Brewer if I buy online, but Rebel Brewer and Midwest Supplies are good ones, too. I haven't used any of the others mentioned, but believe me, you can trust The Borg. If they make a recommendation, it's a solid one.

Of course, the best choice for buying ingredients would be an LHBS. Saves shipping costs and you'll likely get fresher ingredients. Some stores will even grind the grain, provide exact measurements (if they stock grains in bulk, you can buy 1/4 pound, for instance), or have bulk LME, which is crazy economical.

Even though my LHBS doesn't do any of those things, I still prefer going there over ordering online. No wait for shipping, and I can brew with grains I bought that day, and crushed in my basement mere minutes before mashing.

Morebeer.com
No shipping on orders over $69

Also Midwestsupplies and northernbrewer

Brewmasters WH in Atl Ga has a good selection. Flat ship $6.99. and no sales tax. Rebel Brewers is in TN so I get hit with shipping AND 10% sales tax.

I have bought from Morebeer, Northern B, Midwest (shipping costs), Homebrewstuff, and of course MRB ( just posted another big order for the craft recipes and more..)

"KZ" post=282836 said:

I dont have a LHBS to speak of, so I mostly use Midwest, and have also tried out Northern Brewer.

These are my go to online for supplies, with an occasional order to Rebel brewers. Ordered from Austin brewers since they have free shipping... got carried away with that one... and have not started drinking yet... LOL