Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
TNT

12 oz. Bottling Question

I'll be filling 12 ounce glass bottles and using a wing capper for the first time this weekend and I'd like to benefit from the more experienced/expert opinions.

Common sense tells me to sanitize them all and add the priming sugar to each bottle in advance, to save time and avoid confusion or mistakes.

My question is: should I cap each bottle individually as it is filled or should I bottle the whole batch and then cap all the bottles at once in an assembly line manner?

The first option helps avoid spills and contamination, but involves a lot of starting and stopping the flow of beer. The second option saves time and effort, but leaves the bottles open to the air for a little while.

Which method does the borg recommend? I appreciate your input! :)

I batch prime, but I bottle them all first, then go back and cap. Had done it one at a time but seemed like I was working harder not smarter.

"TNT" post=283903 said:

...Common sense tells me to sanitize them all and add the priming sugar to each bottle in advance, to save time and avoid confusion or mistakes...

This is the way I do it, and it has worked well for me.

"TNT" post=283903 said:

...My question is: should I cap each bottle individually as it is filled or should I bottle the whole batch and then cap all the bottles at once in an assembly line manner?

I prefer to fill the bottle with beer, then set a cap on top. Once all bottles are filled, I go back and hit them with the wing-caper. I think the cap sitting on top keeps the goobers out until I crimp them.

You'll probably get a lot of different answers on this one and they all will work. I like to prime and fill 2 bottles then set the caps on, when I get the whole batch done I start crimping with the first one. Personal preference and whatever routine works best for you. I've tried a few different ways but this is what works good for a easily disstracted mind like me. Good Luck

"packerduf" post=283909 said:

I prefer to fill the bottle with beer, then set a cap on top. Once all bottles are filled, I go back and hit them with the wing-caper. I think the cap sitting on top keeps the goobers out until I crimp them.

+1. Although I tend to bottle in 750ML Coopers PETs, I do something very similar. I have a sanatized cap on top always except for when I'm bottling, and the cap I pop off gets tossed back into a little bowl of sanatizer while I bottle, then pulled out and put back on top once bottled.

I have too many dog and cat hairs flying around to leave anything open for a long amounts of time.

If I do bottle something in glass and use my wing capper (ugh) I do exactly the same thing.

"Gizmo" post=283906 said:

I batch prime, but I bottle them all first, then go back and cap. Had done it one at a time but seemed like I was working harder not smarter.

I agree with Gizmo, I did the same thing. Batch prime, bottle, then cap. A lot easier that way. As another stated, if you have a lot of pets and hair flying around, then better to bottle and place the cap on top. Only hair flying around here is from my tongue!

I usually fill 6 bottles at a time, placing the cap on after filling it and then crimping them in the order they were filled. Nothing will get in the beer with the cap sitting on it and plus I've heard that the delay time will give a chance for some CO2 to be released and push the oxygen out of the head space.

When I don't batch prime, I add the sugar into all the bottles first. Adding sugar after filling with nectar can give unpleasant results. I fill about a 12'r, then press caps on, then back to bottling another, etc. I place all caps in a bowl of one-step, let sit for a few minutes to sanitize, a few out at a time to drain on paper towel while bottling. As I set each bottle on the counter, I place a cap on top each one to avoid nasties from flying in whilst bottling another bottle. It's a routine that works for me.

Everyone finds what works best for them.
I batch prime, use a locking spigot and bottling wand. I set the LBK on a milk crate on the kitchen counter in front of the dishwasher. The extra height makes for less bending and opening the dishwasher door catches spills.
I have a center island so I put 6 bottles on the counter, fill, pivot and set on center island, place a cap on top. When those 6 are filled, crimp and place in garbage bag lined box. Repeat until done.

I batch prime, fill 50 bottles, then cap 50 bottles. So far none of Ralph's hair has made it into a bottle yet. Knock on wood.