Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rookiebrew

Spilled some of the yeast??

While pitching the yeast into my brew last night i accidentally droped the yeast packet and about 1/4 to 1/3 spilled out. I tried to scrape it up with my hands and put into the keg but i still didn't get it all in. Will my brew be ok? I was brewing the Horses ass ale and didn't have an extra yeast packet. Hope it turns out ok.

It'll work fine; I'm pretty sure everyone has had that happen once with no consequence.
:cheers:

I probably wouldn't have put the spilled yeasties into the brew. You took a chance on adding some contamination from whatever the yeast was spilled upon (I'm presuming a counter or a floor). I would have tried it with just the yeast that was left or used another packet of yeast if I had one available.

It will probably be ok. It might take off, or start fermenting a little later than it would have with a few less yeasties. Like said though, depending on what it spilled on, I would think infection is possible, may/may not happen, time will tell. Chalk it up to experience. I hope it comes out good for you.

"FrozenInTime" post=284403 said:

It will probably be ok. It might take off, or start fermenting a little later than it would have with a few less yeasties. Like said though, depending on what it spilled on, I would think infection is possible, may/may not happen, time will tell. Chalk it up to experience. I hope it comes out good for you.

It should be fine. I always keep extra dry yeast on hand from my LHBS. I actually use Coopers or Nottingham yeast in all my brews. Even though it is more than enough. They are made for 5 gallon batches. MB yeast is ok, no problem there, but i like to add more to be safe. But then i also add DME to all my batches too lol.

Thanks for the responses, yea it did spill on the countertop and i put it back in, oh well, hope it's not a total loss.

Hopefully, you keep a clean countertop!. When you brushed up the spilled yeast you should have thought about what else might have been swepted up. Extra dust, food etc., could, and I only stress could, have contaminated the brew. However if the countertop was reasonably clean, it probably won't affect the brew. I'd continue and bottle it at the appropriate interval. It'll likely turn out fine.

I've actually dropped the entire yeast packet into the keg before... Yikes! Anyways, a lot of the yeast got stuck in the packet, but the brew still turned out great, no contamination or anything. I think you'll be good.