Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
dbark

New Craft refills and overflow

I don't know if anyone has or will have the issue with the LBK over flowing but the 2 I just brewed did. I had them in coolers luckily. Just an FYI for those brewing them in the near future. I brewed the Amber Ale and Diablo IPA, used US05 yeast in both and steeped 4 oz of carapils.

Not sure the subject line on this post does Mr. Beer justice, this is not an issue with the "New Craft refill", and perhaps a post under advanced brewing titled "My Experiment with US05 Yeast, and 1/4 lb of additional carapils and 2.86 lbs. of New Craft HME Overflowed my 2.5 gal keg" would have been fairer.

We do extensive testing to make sure things like this will not be an issue, if anyone has had a problem with overflow when following our instructions and using only the ingredients we supply, please let us know.

I’m not trying to be a jerk, it is just that a lot of new brewers read this forum and we work really hard to have our products perform. We internally go through hundreds of experiments with all kinds of epic failures, but we get it down to ingredients, recipes and instructions that work, and we stand behind.

Can our recipes be improved upon, can brewers tune for their own tastes, absolutely! That is the fun of this hobby. But, with experiments, comes the potential for both failure and greatness. Brew on!
Cheers!
MikeB

My apologies, I'm not knocking the new product one bit. The intention of the post was to make sure brewers use something to contain the over flow. I don't think the overflow is a problem/issue but containing it is. Basically it was a heads up to anyone who might use the same ingredients but maybe go less. I know this is going to be a rockin' beer!
I filled the LBK to the 8.5 line and used 11.5 grams of US05 yeast. They both were an intense fermentation. I brewed the amber ale on the 5th and the IPA on the 6th.
Truth be told, I'm excited it did overflow and I'm really anticipating tasting it after I bottle.
Cheers.

"dbark" post=284422 said:

My apologies, I'm not knocking the new product one bit. The intention of the post was to make sure brewers use something to contain the over flow. I don't think the overflow is a problem/issue but containing it is. Basically it was a heads up to anyone who might use the same ingredients but maybe go less. I know this is going to be a rockin' beer!
I filled the LBK to the 8.5 line and used 11.5 grams of US05 yeast. They both were an intense fermentation. I brewed the amber ale on the 5th and the IPA on the 6th.
Truth be told, I'm excited it did overflow and I'm really anticipating tasting it after I bottle.
Cheers.

Totally agree with DBark here, Easy Mr Mike CEO, I didn't take this as a criticism at all...I love overflows, that means all is working well with good yeast fermentation and brewing going on. I love a lot of krausen build up when I have brewed all my batches and kinda disappointed when I don't get it. And the anticipation of tasting it even when I am bottling it and once carbed and ready to drink..love it.

Cheers.

I was thankful for the heads up! I was planning on using the same yeast and now I know not to go with the whole pack of yeast :chug:

Cheers

Cheers.

No Worries dbark, I was just trying to keep an eye out for our new brewers as well... I should probably learn to wait 'till after my second cup of coffee to respond to posts :blush:
Cheers,
MikeB

"MrBeerCEO" post=284447 said:

Cheers.

No Worries dbark, I was just trying to keep an eye out for our new brewers as well... I should probably learn to wait 'till after my second cup of coffee to respond to posts :blush:
Cheers,
MikeB

+1 to both...I love huge krausen because that generally correlates with a furious fermentation which is what I want, but to a new brewer this could be disconcerting if not expected. Personally, I'm very glad to hear the new craft series is fermenting like that as I have six of them waiting to go in various forms.

EDIT: MikeB, why coffee when you could have a nice java stout?? In your neck of the woods you can probably get Santa Fe Java Imperial Stout...a better start to the day than boring coffee! :stout:

Guest System Admin

"KZ" post=284451 said:

"MrBeerCEO" post=284447 said:

Cheers.

Cheers,
MikeB

+1 to both...I love huge krausen because that generally correlates with a furious fermentation which is what I want, but to a new brewer this could be disconcerting if not expected. Personally, I'm very glad to hear the new craft series is fermenting like that as I have six of them waiting to go in various forms.

EDIT: MikeB, why coffee when you could have a nice java stout?? In your neck of the woods you can probably get Santa Fe Java Imperial Stout...a better start to the day than boring coffee! :stout:

That actually sounds pretty good right now, but I have been slogging my way through the new instruction manual for my new chainsaw that got delivered yesterday and I was having a hard enough time with the microfiche sized print (Yes we do have trees in Arizona ;), but I think that post assembly (and Test of course :evil: ) a nice dark rich cold one will be in order.
Cheers,
MikeB

Guest System Admin

On a side note (actually, when have I ever stayed on topic?): I thinks it's cool as Hell that the Mr Beer CEO is keeping up on the forum.

Now - kinda - back to the subject:

Mike,

I know Arizona has trees but I don't think they have so many that you need a chainsaw. :P

But if you must, make sure you do the chainsawin' first THEN enjoy a cold one.

Or two.

Or Three.

No problem Mr Beer. In hindsight, I shoulda posted that in the Advanced area. I still view myself as a new brewer but now I'm using advanced techniques. Next time I will choose more appropriately.

On that chainsaw: don't be eyeing those saguaro cactus now, isn't that a crime in AZ? :lumberjack:

"dbark" post=284460 said:

No problem Mr Beer. In hindsight, I shoulda posted that in the Advanced area. I still view myself as a new brewer but now I'm using advanced techniques. Next time I will choose more appropriately.

On that chainsaw: don't be eyeing those saguaro cactus now, isn't that a crime in AZ? :lumberjack:

No Saguaro, they are all around my house, I promise just some fallen pine near our our cabin, the Saguaros dont like it at 8,400 feet, however I have been thinking about a Spicy Prickly Pear IPA....
Cheers,
MikeB

"MrBeerCEO" post=284413 said:

We internally go through hundreds of experiments with all kinds of epic failures...

I think we need to see some examples of epic failures.

"MrBeerCEO" post=284461 said:

No Saguaro, they are all around my house, I promise just some fallen pine near our our cabin, the Saguaros dont like it at 8,400 feet, however I have been thinking about a Spicy Prickly Pear IPA....
Cheers,
MikeB

I live in AZ Mike, how about a cactus/jalepeno ale? Or a smoked cactus, prickly pear ale? Just ideas here. You can come out with a new line, SouthWestern recipies lol. Your cabin must be up in Pinetop, Strawberry area maybe. Both my uncles have theirs there.

"Betolis" post=284463 said:

"MrBeerCEO" post=284413 said:

We internally go through hundreds of experiments with all kinds of epic failures...

I think we need to see some examples of epic failures.

We need videos. Tasters going :sick:, kegs going :think: , people dancing in the halls with glee :banana:

"Nash1444" post=284503 said:

"MrBeerCEO" post=284461 said:

Cheers,
MikeB

I live in AZ Mike, how about a cactus/jalepeno ale? Or a smoked cactus, prickly pear ale? Just ideas here. You can come out with a new line, SouthWestern recipies lol. Your cabin must be up in Pinetop, Strawberry area maybe. Both my uncles have theirs there.

He's probably up at Summerhaven since that is close to Tucson...Mike must have survived the fire a coupla years ago...nice area nonetheless.