Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nash1444

New Newcastle

Today at my grocery store i saw a 6 pack of a different kind of Newcastle. It is a limited edition called Newcastle Werewolf. Instead of saying imported from England on the top, it says escaped from Britain, 4.5% vol. It is a blood red ale. I did not like it. After reading, it is brewed with rye malt. I learned i did not like rye beers at all in the past. So should have read it at the store instead of at home. Just my 2 cents worth.

"Gymrat" post=284526 said:

What didnt you like about it? Was it skunky?

NO, not skunky. It comes in brown bottles. I just don't like the rye taste.

It's funny you mention it. Actually, last year or maybe the spring of this year, I put out a Borg-wide beg for someone to get me a case. I love Newcastle Werewolf. There was a guy in Colorado who was looking, but unable to get it for me. I've been searching for it ever since.

I think you're judging the "rye" too much. With all due respect, according to the Newcastle representative, there's very little (maybe 15-17.5%) rye in there. IThe rest is Pale malt and some caramels. It ends up around 14-15 SRM. It's a whole different beer than something like Ruthless Rye or one of those beers where it's the predominant thing.

Newcastle Werewolf isn't new, it's a Fall seasonal...but new I guess in the sense that last year was the 1st year. So, this is the second.

It's definitely astringent. Listed in some places at 4.5%, but for some reason I thought I had also seen (or heard) of 5.2%.

Definitely has a bitterness bite and some very very slight berry (hops) tone flavoring.

Lots of Caramel malts

=========================

I love this beer. Beyond my homebrew, this would be a first pick off the shelf for me.

My local store had it in stock, gotta try it, the Founders was very good, the Summer Ale was meh, and NC Brown is, well, NC Brown (not a bad thing :) ).

"Christ872" post=284777 said:

It's funny you mention it. Actually, last year or maybe the spring of this year, I put out a Borg-wide beg for someone to get me a case. I love Newcastle Werewolf. There was a guy in Colorado who was looking, but unable to get it for me. I've been searching for it ever since.

I think you're judging the "rye" too much. With all due respect, according to the Newcastle representative, there's very little (maybe 15-17.5%) rye in there. IThe rest is Pale malt and some caramels. It ends up around 14-15 SRM. It's a whole different beer than something like Ruthless Rye or one of those beers where it's the predominant thing.

Newcastle Werewolf isn't new, it's a Fall seasonal...but new I guess in the sense that last year was the 1st year. So, this is the second.

It's definitely astringent. Listed in some places at 4.5%, but for some reason I thought I had also seen (or heard) of 5.2%.

Definitely has a bitterness bite and some very very slight berry (hops) tone flavoring.

Lots of Caramel malts

=========================

I love this beer. Beyond my homebrew, this would be a first pick off the shelf for me.

I don't know what it is, but the aftertaste just gags me for some reason. The taste is like the hair of a werewolf lol. Well, whatever the major part of the flavor is, i dislike, but i love regular newcastle though. I am drinking the last 2 right now, mixed with a stout and can still taste it. Hey, i can't waste beer!

It finally showed up in the somewhat local store (the store that has the biggest selection of microbrews). I'm pretty near drunk being Halloween weekend and I can barely get this stuff down. I still have 5 left out of a sixer. Not sure if I'll ever manage to get the rest of it down, but being in amber pry-off bottles helps.

I remember seeing this somewhere; I can't remember if it was at a convenience store, or at Cable Beverage, where I can get craft beers and micros I can't find elsewhere.

If it was at Cable, I can put a bottle of it in a mixer-sixer and take the risk that I won't like it. I'm not sure I'd buy a full six-pack on an iffy beer.

I have a bud at work talks up and down about the greatness of Tyranena brewery outside of Madison in Lake Mills, WI.

I have had nothing but bad luck with their beers, but his gushing convinced me to try their beer, "Scurvy" - and IPA with orange rind. Hands down one of the worst beers, let alone fluids I have ever drank in my life. It tastes like a bag of oranges went rotten in a batch of mediocre IPA. It is so bad I am wondering how anyone could drink it. In fact, as a test, I will serve it to random folks that visit and it always gets the sip followed by the holding the glass back and looking at it with that "Was I just poisoned?" look on their face.

Well, I'm certainly glad you all have reviewed these....thanks to all of you for saving me some money as I was eyeing the NC Werewolf stuff in the store the other day. I was seriously contemplating going back and getting some but I'm glad you all have steered me away. thanks folks :)