Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Beer-lord

Diablo and Winter Dark Ale

I'm not sure these new refills have been out long enough for reviews but if anyone has tried any of these 2, straight up, I'm interested in what you think.
Mine are on the way and I'm simply curious as to whether I should do the normal 3-2-2 or maybe try 2-2-2. I'm thinking the Winter Dark my need to condition longer. I'm planning on bottling these and not kegging them as I want to experience what the majority of those buying these would.

I have both, but waiting til I return from vacation to brew them. Hope they are as good as they sound!

These 2 are in the on-deck circle & in the hole, ready for brewing once I free up one of my LBK's...looking forward to both of them and hope we get some reports soon.

I'd like to see some recipes for all the new ones using some of the new DME/LME extras that will be available soon.
For me, I'm thinking the Diablo IPA won't be hoppy enough but that's why I'm starting with 'as is' so that I have an idea of what I might need to add.

I'm still finding it hard to spend $19 (on sale) for 2 gallons but we've been here before. I spent almost 5 hours Saturday night making 5 gallons AG for $22 plus the liquid yeast (I'll be harvesting that soon) so $19 for 2 gallons is something I would like to do to help the pipeline in a much shorter time period. I can do 2 of these kits in less than an hour and get 4 gallons of beer for $38. While my time is worth much more, I do enjoy even the 5 hour batches but sometimes the cleanup can be a chore.

I would imagine these will all be good to drink 2-2-2, straight up, with maybe the winter dark improving the most with some age just due to the roasty malts blending together. But I could be totally off base, as I've not brewed them yet.

@Beer Lord, I'm gonna brew the Diablo straight up and then figure out what to do with it if I buy more (I likely will, I like to use ADIPA as a base for an IPA, I just do a short hop burst boil to add "ooomph" to it). Do it to save time, 1 hour vs. 5 like you say...

(yeah I post on here a lot, seems like I could find 5 hours more often - but when I'm posting here it's because my brain shut off looking at some code and I need a break... my brain is actually "problem solving" in the background as I type here... totally different way to "waste time" then brewing... I think I solved my current problem now actually, so I'm off again for a bit...)

These two should be waiting on my porch tonight, along with the other craft brews. I plan to do them all straight up as a baseline and I think I will do the IPA first. From past experience with the ADIPA, I likely will add more hops later on. However CEO/Mike posted a few weeks ago on the development of the El Diablo and said the hop heads at Mr Beer really liked it, so I will reserve judgement.

Winter Dark Ale was my choice tonight. Ooo the malt smells so good - a strong roasted toasty malty smell with a hint of... well my mind picked out a biscuit smell but the wife didn't. (Maybe she farted in the kitchen)

I'm trying to dig out the estimated IBU / SRM for my notes.

"Orange" post=284812 said:

Winter Dark Ale was my choice tonight. Ooo the malt smells so good - a strong roasted toasty malty smell with a hint of... well my mind picked out a biscuit smell but the wife didn't. (Maybe she farted in the kitchen)

It's funny how our wives noses pick up things that we don't. When I bottled my IIPA over the weekend, I smelled the usual melon, pine, and citrus, and my wife smelled apple. I remember bottling an Irish Stout last year and while I picked up raisins, she smelled....beef? :sick: No wonder she doesn't care for beer.

"Brewsus Yeast" post=284836 said:

"Orange" post=284812 said:

It's funny how our wives noses pick up things that we don't. When I bottled my IIPA over the weekend, I smelled the usual melon, pine, and citrus, and my wife smelled apple. I remember bottling an Irish Stout last year and while I picked up raisins, she smelled....beef? :sick: No wonder she doesn't care for beer.

Maybe she at a lot of Irish stew as a kid...

Brewed the Diablo IPA today. The wort tasted very good, and fairly hoppy. Likely will add DME and possibly some hops when I next brew it to add body and hop bite, but will wait to see how it turns out straight up.

Hate to bump an old thread, but wondering what people thought of the Winter Dark Ale? That is my next brew and I am just wondering what everyone thought of it and how well it went using the 2-2-2 method?

I had another one 2 days ago, brewed straight up. It's not more than 5 weeks in the bottle. It's just ok. Thin and weak but ok.
I don't know what I would add to it to make it better but I would add something if I did this again.

So straight out of the can the beer is not amazing - I should add some sort of LME or something to my wort to give it that something else?

Yes, in my opinion, it's weak. Others can chime in and some have agreed with me. The taste isn't bad but the body is just not there. It hasn't changed since week three at all. It's certainly drinkable but not something I prefer.
I think the bitterness is almost there but I would like more of that as well however, for the style, it's just the body that needs the most work.
I would think a pound or two of LME would help but as to what hops to add to this, I'm not sure.....maybe some Goldings or Williamette?????

"Beer-lord" post=304671 said:

Yes, in my opinion, it's weak. Others can chime in and some have agreed with me. The taste isn't bad but the body is just not there. It hasn't changed since week three at all. It's certainly drinkable but not something I prefer.
I think the bitterness is almost there but I would like more of that as well however, for the style, it's just the body that needs the most work.
I would think a pound or two of LME would help but as to what hops to add to this, I'm not sure.....maybe some Goldings or Williamette?????

Thanks for your suggestions and input. I will chime back in here when I have brewed & bottled this (as per Mr. Beer's directions) with no modifications and post my results.

I am brand new to this so taking in all the information I can to get an idea of what ingredients to do what and what goes well with what style.

There is SO much information out there.

I bought all 4 when the first came out. The only one I haven't tried yet is the Diablo, since it's sill conditioning.

I wasn't that fond of the NWPA but it was ok. It tasted of pine, citrus and cardboard.
I thought the Bewitched was very nice, if a bit thin, but gets much better with time.
I really do like the Winter Dark, which is also getting better with age.

Looking forwrd to the Diablo... maybe this weekend while I'm bottling up a Caribou SLobber. :)

"chrisjoffe" post=304677 said:

I bought all 4 when the first came out. The only one I haven't tried yet is the Diablo, since it's sill conditioning.

I wasn't that fond of the NWPA but it was ok. It tasted of pine, citrus and cardboard.
I thought the Bewitched was very nice, if a bit thin, but gets much better with time.

Looking forwrd to the Diablo... maybe this weekend while I'm bottling up a Caribou SLobber. :)

The Winter Dark you did exactly as is with no extras? Also did you feel the Winter Dark Ale needed some more time than the others or was it the same (about 2/3-2-2)?

I did them all straight up to begin with. I like the WInter Dark a lot and would make it again, as-is. The Bewitched was good but I'd add an LME.

I've been doing lighter/simpler beers as 2-2-2 and heavier or darker beers as 3-2-2. I think I'm just going to start doing them all 3-2-2 (3-4) minimum.

Brewferm Abdij gets 3-8. :)

I have not done it yet (winter dark), been thunking about how to do it. I have a pound each dark, pilsen and light DME. Probably do the dark DME, but been thinking of what hops to throw in. Those that have done it, why hops do you think would go good with it and a lb of dark DME? Is this supposed to be an easy drinker, like an easy IPA, or is it spicy? I'm thinking of adding a earthy/spicy hop, which one would ya'll go with? I'm used to using the *C* hops family, have not done much with the spicy'r ones. Suggestions please?

[attachment=9918]icon_couch_2012-12-12.gif[/attachment]

Based on what I brewed and how it tastes (I added 1 pack of robust and orange flavored mulling spices).

Citrusy hops are probably good for flavor/aroma. I would not use any bittering hops at all, it doesn't need more bitter. I would use a dark chocolaty malt and/or an amber/caramel malt and/or steep some medium and dark crystal malts.

Although I really like how my batch came out, I personally think I would use a full pound of extra malt instead of the 8oz that I used next time. Because not everyone likes bitter beer as much as I do, and it is pretty bitter.

All of that said, I think as another option, if you used bunch of light DME, and a lot of really dark crystal malt to build up a nice treacle (licorish) kind of flavor, and used East Kent Goldings or Fuggles, you could end up with a pretty nice English Strong Ale too. But you need to make it pretty strong to balance out the bitter if you do this.

Sounds like a pound of the dark, with a h/boil of 23 minutes of 1/2 oz fuggles (which I have on hand). Wanting it more balanced than bitter since it will be shared with a few (lite) drinkers.

Man, I gotta get qbrew set up on this new laptop.... LOL

Looking forward to the Diablo. :)

chrisJ : Wow, funny thing how one has difference of opinions of certain brews. I only say this cuz I loved the NW pale ale (at least the way I did it and that was only added add'l .81# of booster.) I am thoroughly enjoying mine and look forward to brewing it again same as first batch.
I will be drinking a Winter dark Ale tonite for my nitecap since I get off work at 9ish. Looking forward to that one as it has conditioned longer now after 1st pour a coupla weeks ago. Hoping this one has improved but then again I never knew what to expect from this type of brew.

As far as Diablo, been lbk for little over 10 days now and will do a dry hop of 1/2 oz of citra as per suggestion by one of our fellow brewers. I will be looking forward to that one with the added citrus aroma hops.

salud

"T8r Salad" post=304807 said:

Looking forward to the Diablo. :)

chrisJ : Wow, funny thing how one has difference of opinions of certain brews. I only say this cuz I loved the NW pale ale (at least the way I did it and that was only added add'l .81# of booster.) I am thoroughly enjoying mine and look forward to brewing it again same as first batch.
I will be drinking a Winter dark Ale tonite for my nitecap since I get off work at 9ish. Looking forward to that one as it has conditioned longer now after 1st pour a coupla weeks ago. Hoping this one has improved but then again I never knew what to expect from this type of brew.

As far as Diablo, been lbk for little over 10 days now and will do a dry hop of 1/2 oz of citra as per suggestion by one of our fellow brewers. I will be looking forward to that one with the added citrus aroma hops.

salud

That's always the quandary when asking people's opinions on beer. I'm not much of a hop-head but most of my friends keep asking me how much you can jam into one batch. I prefer English IPAs to American IPAs due to the lighter touch on the hops (generally).

Coopers Mr Beer: We haven't always seen eye-to-eye but that is what a relationship is all about. Look, I have been married for over 35 years now (same Angel - really!!!) and SWMBO and I have not always seen it the same way either. I may bash you once in a while from my perspective and others may take me to task for it. So be it. Where I am going with this, is the fact that after drinking the Winter Dark Ale tonight for my nitecap, I sipped and pondered, swished and gargled every last drop from my pint glass trying to figure this one out. I must admit, again, that you have hit a home run with this WDA Craft Series recipe/refill.
Now I have only been brewing since last Christmas and am still a little wet behind the ears, still a little newbie in me but also with some experience to speak here openly. It almost comes across as a stout with its rich thick mouthfeel and this after adding 8 oz of booster. I thought I might have weakened it or thinned it but NOOOOOOO, I did not do that. It does have a little extra kick to it because of that but NO thinness whatsoever. I think I must have added another 16-32 oz of water at topping off time as I got 18 half-litre bottles out of this recipe batch.

Coopers Mr Beer: I must thank you for a heavenly dark ale for wintertime drinking...and yes, I will drinking this one for many winter-times to come.

Sincerely yours.

Another Passionate homebrewer sired by Mr Beer!!! WOOHOO :stout: :cheers: :charlie:

I've been drinking my Diablo. It is very good. A very good taste ... but I had added some sugar for a little more ABV.

I did a double batch ...two cans of Diablo, a half pound of cane sugar, into a 5 gal fermenter pale.
I like it alot.

Of particular note, the Diablo has a very good, frothy, lasting head. I wonder what the ingredient in that HME is that contributes to this great head character ... anyone have any ideas???????????

I'd trade the head for more taste if I could. Did you add anything else besides the sugar? I'm not concerned about ABV unless I can get mine to taste better. Nothing but a very bitter, ending feeling but no flavor at all. Just a bite.

I've got WDA conditioning now, I decided to open one at two weeks just to get an idea of where the beer is going. I brewed it straight up. After two weeks conditioning I thought the beer as is was very good. I know it will be even better after 4 weeks or so of conditioning. Knowing that Mr Beer is trying top ut out a beer that will appeal to the masses (so to speak) they have to be a bit generic with their refills. One of the great things about homebrewing is we can take the basic refill and spice it up any way we like to suit our own tastes. Happy brewin', y'all. :gulp:

Cheers Beer Brothers & Sisters.
Tasting my first sample of the Diablo which I jacked up with 1 lb of DME, Belgian candi sugar, southern cross & simcoe hops. All in all it's a good beer. Bottom line is by itself it's a substandard beer. It needs a lot of help. Here's my label "Afghan Goo" Cheers & Peace. :barman:

[attachment=9941]AfghanGooPaleAle.JPG[/attachment]

Now I'm sampling my first taste of the dark ale. Again I've jacked the crap out of it with an exrtra pound of DME & Willamette hops all over it. By golly this is one damn good brew. I called it "Lummox The Walrus"
Here's the label. Cheers. :barman:

[attachment=9942]LummoxTheWalrusBeerLabel.JPG[/attachment]

Brewed the Dark Winter Ale using my own variation of the spiced Christmas ale recipe found on the web site. Brew was done about 5 weeks ago and I opened the first "taster" bottle last night. I found it enjoyable and not overly bitter. It took a while to get that first taste though cause I could not get my nose out of the glass. It smelled like Christmas in a bottle.

Here's a list of my additions to the brew:
1 Tbsp. Jamacan Allspice Berries (whole)
1/2 Tsp. Fresh Saigon Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp. Pure Almond Extract
1 cup light brown sugar

"rjole" post=305629 said:

Brewed the Dark Winter Ale using my own variation of the spiced Christmas ale recipe found on the web site. Brew was done about 5 weeks ago and I opened the first "taster" bottle last night. I found it enjoyable and not overly bitter. It took a while to get that first taste though cause I could not get my nose out of the glass. It smelled like Christmas in a bottle.

Here's a list of my additions to the brew:
1 Tbsp. Jamacan Allspice Berries (whole)
1/2 Tsp. Fresh Saigon Cinnamon
1 cup light brown sugar

This may be a stupid question, but at what point in the brewing process do you add any of these ingredients? I would definitely like to add Cinnamon to a winter beer but not sure when or how to add it? Do I add it directly into the fermenter or during the boil?

Thanks in advance!

First taste of Winter Dark Ale at 2 1/2 weeks in the bottle, and this is very good as is. Nice chocolate and roasted malt backbone, with decent hop balance. I may juice it up next time with some dark DME, but it is not bad at all straight up.

my WDA was put in to a 3gal keg,,,, batch primed w/ light brown suger,,,, it has a carmel / coffee nose,,,,,,,, a dry / bitter good taste,,,, i added in to the wort ,,,,,,,,,,,
1/4 cup molasses / 1/4 cup coconut / 1/4 cup suger in the raw / 1/4 tbsp coffee grinds / 1/4 tbsp cinamon
og 1.054 / fg 1.030 / i think [avb 3.1]??? im happy with it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and i will taste it in 2 months,,,,,,with a sample here and there every 2 weeks,,, :silly:
[attachment=9999]kegwinterdarkale.jpg[/attachment]

"docpd" post=306679 said:

First taste of Winter Dark Ale at 2 1/2 weeks in the bottle, and this is very good as is. Nice chocolate and roasted malt backbone, with decent hop balance. I may juice it up next time with some dark DME, but it is not bad at all straight up.

I'm gonna add about 1/2 lb next time to balance the bitterness.

Wait so for the WDA, can I bottle prime with light brown sugar instead of regular table sugar? Is this something that adds some flavor or is it too late in the beer making process?

using brown sugar as primer won't do what you think it will. It's too little for flavor, and needs a different level for carbination.

I tried my first bottle fo the Winter Dark Ale last night. It was bottled on October 22, so it has been in the bottle for almost 8 weeks. It was brewed straight with no additions. It actually was very tasty with chocolaty overtones. I think it will be a good base for future modified brews, but it is very tasty as is.

"calledthestig" post=306527 said:

This may be a stupid question, but at what point in the brewing process do you add any of these ingredients? I would definitely like to add Cinnamon to a winter beer but not sure when or how to add it? Do I add it directly into the fermenter or during the boil?

Thanks in advance!

I added all my extras during the heating process of the wort. I added the brown sugar at this point as well. I did not use it to prime the bottles.

Here is the recipe from Mr. Beer that I modified.

Spiced Christmas Ale
MAKES APPROX. 2 GALLONS OF BEER IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS.
OG: 1.067 (approx.) -- FG: 1.008 (approx.)
Suggested lager time is 2 to 4 weeks.

Enjoy the holidays with this special brew! The perfect blend of spices really make this beer one of a kind. We recommend you condition this brew for no less than 2 months before enjoying as it only gets better with age. Drink at 55° F in a tulip glass.

RECIPE INCLUDES:
1 Can Winter Dark Ale HME
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HME)
1 BrewMax LME Softpack - Robust
1 1/2 oz. Packet Tettnanger Hop Pellets
1 Muslin Hop Sack
1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

YOU PROVIDE:
1 Tbsp. Mulling Spices

My winter dark came out very good too. Even though the S-O4 yeast was crazy & overflowed.
I added 1lb Breiss Golden Light DME & used 1oz Williamette Hops split into thirds added at 10 min, 5 min & DH'd for the last 10 days & it's a reall nice brew. I'll try spices on the next run. Here's my label "Lummox The Walrus"

[attachment=10079]LummoxTheWalrusBeerLabel.JPG[/attachment]

I asked this before but didn't get an answer. Why do so many of us have overflows when fermenting the Winter Dark? I made it as is.

I had a slight bit of overflow on the first batch. But none on the second. My temps were a little bit lower the 2nd time around.

Rick

Finally got my first taste of my WDA tonite. I brewed this batch straight up out of the can, no mods and followed the mr beer directions to the letter. OG 1.050 FG 1.015 for an ABV of 4.5%. When I first started brewing with mr beer I jumped right into recipes and making mods, but after reading posts from more experienced brewers, I decided instead to go thru the mr beer recipes individually as they come out of the can to get an idea of the base beer. So far I've been thru Classic American Light, patriot Lager, Czech Pilsner, aztec Mexican Cerveza and I have to say all were very good but so far WDA is the best of show!!!! The yeast worked like crazy and to me the taste as is is perfect. I like the souped up beers as much as anybody, but sometimes I just want a beer and the WDA will be a go to beer. Next time around I may add some DME to boost the ABV a bit, but to tell the truth I like this beer a lot just like it is. I will take this beer and my Oktoberfest to my mc club new year's party! :stout:

I finished off my Winter Dark Ale tonight, and I must say that I was very pleased with this brew. I had purchased 2 cans of each of the craft series, so I already have the 2nd WDA going in the fermenter and will be kegging it up tomorrow morning. I decided to keep this one straight-up as well.

Rick

After quickly advancing beyond straight-up MB recipes, I had essentially forgotten how quick and easy it can be to brew up a good beer with an MB refill.

I brewed the Winter Dark with a packet of Booster a couple of months ago, and have been enjoying it for the past couple of weeks.

It was so quick and easy compared to what I'm used to (steeps, partial-mashes, hour-plus boils, major chilling efforts, etc.). Yes, it was pricey, but my time is worth something, too.

I also spiced up half the batch at bottling time using cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and almond extract. That half came out great, too.

I think I'm going to have to work some more straight-up MB batches into my rotation, like Fedora Dave does, in between the more labor-intensive batches. The ease with which you can get good results is a definite plus.

I was thinking about brewing this up for my first foray into not using a straight-up MB refill.

I'm thinking 1 can of the WDA HME, 1 packet Robust LME, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp pure spruce extract (may even go with boiling some eastern white pine instead of the spruce and using one cup of the resulting water in my boil, i actually want a hint of that resin to come out) all in the 3qt. pot for a quick boil beofre adding the HME.

Then 2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp almond extract right into the LBK with the wort.

What do all of you who've tested the WDA think? I'm really going for a winter warmer with a nice warmth in the belly and a clean pine finish, but I'm not sure how to up the ABV for that feel without dumping in too much sugar, and if I add any more malts it may overpower the spices/pine.

Any changes you all would make?

I was just doing a quick scan of this, as it's not one I'd likely be doing, and the "2 tsp" of cinnamon jumped out and gob smacked me.

For a MB sized batch, that may be a bit much. Just say'n.

I'm drinking my first Winter Dark Ale now. it is delicious. I had added a half pound of sugar.

Real good. a bit higher abv than undoctored.

SWMBO thinks my mulling spice infused winter dark ale + robust LME fermented with Wyeast 1056 is really dang good.

Tried another straight up Diablo last night and now it's been sitting at 66 degrees for many, many weeks. It has mellowed a bit. Still absolutely no flavor but at least the bitterness at the end is gone. I guess whatever small amounts of hops they used have dissipated now. It's definitely more drinkable and definitely not a hoppy IPA.
So, you'll be glad to know this is my last post on this batch as my hopped up version is fermenting and I'll be bothering you with info on that in about a month.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming!

I have two cans of the Diablo. My original plan was to do one straight-up and one hopped-up for comparison purposes but now I think I'll just make 'em hopped-up.

"Gary in NJ" post=325017 said:

I have two cans of the Diablo. My original plan was to do one straight-up and one hopped-up for comparison purposes but now I think I'll just make 'em hopped-up.

That's what I suggest but just in case you change your mind and decide to do the two together in one brew.....DON'T!

I would do each a bit different. Maybe adding some more malt or steeping grains to one and use different hop combos in both. Keep notes and see which you like best for a future brew.

Opened a bottle of Winter Dark Ale this weekend - it was been 3 weeks in the bottle and I just really wanted to test it.

I can tell this beer definitely needs some extra conditioning time in the bottles. It was really good, but will definitely be much better with some extra time. I can't wait to try it after 6-8 weeks.

I tried both the Diablo and Winter Dark yesterday. I am extremely impressed with both brews. For each brew, I steeped 1/4 lb. carapils, and I added 1/4 lb. Bavarian Wheat DME for improved head/head retention. I elected to keep the malt additions to a minimum, as not to greatly taint the originality of the recipe - and to avoid the necessity for more hops.

The Diablo is an excellent IPA, IMO. I have read mixed reviews, some describing this as a good pale ale. I respectfully disagree. At first sip this brew says IPA, loud and clear. It may not "scream" IPA, but there was no doubt in my mind, I was drinking an IPA. The floral notes are more prominent than what I'm accustomed to in an IPA, but not overwhelming; the traditional piney/grapefruit flavors provide enough balance. All IPAs are not created equal, but make no mistake - this is an excellent IPA for the masses.

The Winter Dark Ale, to me, is very reminiscent of the Dark Strong Ale, a previous Mr. Beer Seasonal (winter of 2010) - one of my all-time favorites. The dark roasted malty flavors of the Winter Dark firmly support the aggressive bitterness, IMO. I really like this beer, and I will make it again very soon. This dark, bitter belly-warmer may not be for the faint of heart, but I would definitely characterize it as the perfect companion on any cold/cool winter night.

Overall, both brews exceeded my expectations. I am so pleased with the results, I will most likely brew them again with the same (slight) modifications. Once again, I feel compelled to commend Mr. Beer for their commitment to excellence. The new HMEs are exceptional, and the Craft Series HMEs are the crème de la crème.

:cheers:

packerduf, I want so much to agree with you on the Diablo and am hoping my last batch (bottling in 5 days) will please me but without the added hops, there was no way it was an IPA to me but that was straight up. I wonder if the extra malt you added toned down the extreme bite it had. Just bitter with no flavor.

I did have another Winter Dark and it is getting better. Still thin and weak but the flavor is now more balanced. Dang it took a long time. I know that one can be improved with some added malt.

I dry hopped the Diablo yesterday and it DOES have an aroma now. Based on what some have said about Diablo I just figure I either did something wrong (straight up? No way!) or my tastes are just so much different than most from all the extremely hoppy beers I've become accustomed too. But I still say, most will definitely want to add something to the Diablo as it does need it.

"Beer-lord" post=331091 said:

...Based on what some have said about Diablo I just figure I either did something wrong (straight up? No way!) or my tastes are just so much different than most from all the extremely hoppy beers I've become accustomed too...

Based on many of your posts,, I do believe you have developed a taste for extremely hoppy beers - specifically IPAs. I think your Boceebus Hopititus recipe is testimony to this. :lol:

Even so, I'm surprised we have such differing opinions. I will be interested to hear more opinions from others on the Diablo. Don't get me wrong, Beer-lord. The Diablo is no Pliny the Elder, but I do think it is an IPA - stylistically. I suspect the average Mr. Beer brewer would lean my way, yet a true hop-head would most likely lean your way.

Please keep us posted on the results of your most recent batch of Diablo.

I can't comment on the Winter Dark because I just bottled it yesterday. I will let you know in a few weeks. Regarding the Diabolo, I am drinking it now. I did a small hop boil in .5 lbs of light dme. I did .25 of Liberty for 20 minutes and .25 Liberty at 7 minutes. I used Liberty because its what I had on hand. Personally, I like it and would consider it an IPA. I will do it again in the future for a quick easy brew. I give it two thumbs up. :stout:

The Winter Dark does remind me of the old seasonal Dark Strong Ale, although it is a bit "thinner" I think some extra dark DME would help it out.

I agree with BeerLord about the Diablo. It has plenty of bitterness, but I could detect no hop flavor or aroma. In this way it is similar to the old ADIPA, although I did like it better that the ADIPA. To make an true IPA for my tastes will require a significant flavoring hop boil and dry hopping, and some DME for that matter.
I will do all these things with my next batch.