Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kealia

THE Craft Series Bewitched Amber thread

Guest System Admin

Dayum! I've got some of that due to arrive tomorrow!

I may just have to screw up my brew order and throw that one on Sunday.

"Awesome Ale Brewery" post=293380 said:

I got friends that want to try it, but I want it all for myself....hehehe. Gonna take a 6er of BAA and DIPA to my buddy for a "professional" opinion soon.

Every time I think of taking 6er or case somewhere, I realize just how much of my pipeline that represents...... :ohmy:

And that idea quickly goes away. Almost ten weeks to replace every bottle. Kinda puts a dent on the giveaways.

Almost ten weeks to replace every bottle. Kinda puts a dent on the giveaways.

No kidding. I think twice about offering anyone a brew because it's so good then they want two. In the words of "The Jackel" in the movie "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"......."Is that wrong?"

I brewed up this refill tonight. Obtained a reading of 1.048 before pitching the yeast. The small sample taste I had was really good. Looking forward to trying it. So now I've got two of the new craft refills fermenting and two conditioning. Should be an interesting December and January.

Rick

"piscator" post=293516 said:

Every time I think of taking 6er or case somewhere, I realize just how much of my pipeline that represents...... :ohmy:

And that idea quickly goes away. Almost ten weeks to replace every bottle. Kinda puts a dent on the giveaways.

This is my drinking buddy that helped supply me with bottles and who helped open my eyes to craft beers and what GOOD beer is. Gotta pay him back somehow! I brewed the DIPA just for him. If he likes it, he get all of it.
:stout:

"Dsouth1111" post=293492 said:

I really think this beer is good and I will order it again. I had a bottle 3 days ago and it didn't have any head! What a difference in just 3 days. :chug: :gulp: [attachment=9257]10-30-12BAA.jpg[/attachment]

DSouth keep up the great science reports. Beautiful glass of homebrew...I love good head and lace is added beauty even with a homebrew!!! :banana:

It's true. I took 4 22s to a friend's house last weekend. It didn't really occur to me, but afterward I thought, "oh damn, I just took out 1/3 of a batch." No worries though, my friends have shared more than enough homebrew with me to make up for it.

I finally put one in the fridge this morning. It's been 4 weeks almost to the day of being in the bottle so I'm hoping to try one this weekend after 2-3 days in the fridge. I've been down with the stomach flu since Sunday and the last thing I had before going to bed Saturday night was a beer. Right now the thought of one makes me :sick:

Let's hope that goes away quickly.

I hope you feel better Kealia. Perhaps the excitement of trying the BAA will give you the strength to kill off the little buggers.

Mine's coming out of LBK on Sunday. Won't be ready until 15 DEC, though, :(

Conditioning is 59-60F.

Just brewed this one last weekend. The wort tasted good, but in the future I will problably add extra DME and Hops

Just cracked open my first BAA today, after ~3 weeks in the bottle. It was nice and clear, and had a lovely dark red color. It wasn't terrible, but I wasn't overly impressed either. It had some malt flavor, but still tasted rather thin. Even with the added malto-dextrin, I thought I tasted a slight twang characteristic of several MB beers I've brewed, but it was far less pronounced. Who know, maybe it's all in my head. If I brew this HME again, I'm definitely adding a pound of DME, and I may even do a short hop boil to up the complexity a bit. But all-in-all, I could see this being a fairly decent session beer for me.

I bottled mine yesterday and this brew was the clearest I've ever seen coming out of the fermenter. Absolutely clear. And a bit carbonated too. Just a bit.

Yeah, mine was very clear too. That did impress me. Cold crash or not, I think this new yeast clean up much nicer.

Last night I wanted a redhead. No, I NEEDED a redhead. I LONGED for her. My wife didn't object so I had her.

I'd been thinking about her all day, letting the anticipation build up. I couldn't the thoughts of her out of my head as I thought about how I would have her.

I approached her slowly, gently picking her up and carrying her to where the action would take place. I set her down and took a step back to just take her in. I traced every inch of her with my eyes, paying special attention to how her shape curved right around her neck. The anticipation was building up and I could see sweat beads of sweat starting to form around her neck. I watched as it slowly found its way all the down her smooth body.

I couldn't keep my hands off of her any longer, now was the time. I wrapped my hands around her as gently as I could while I was fighting off the urge to just take all of her at once. I put her in her place and admired the ruby red glow she was exuding. Just beautiful. I felt like I could stare at her all night - but I knew I couldn't hold out much longer so I moved in to slowly take in her aroma. Soft and smooth on the nose and just a tickle of sweetness that made its way into my nose telling me that she had a lot to offer...

I tasted her. Just a bit at first to let that first sensation really hit home. She passed my lips slowly and danced her way onto my tongue, letting me really taste all of her. Aaahhh, the sweetness up front was followed by just a hint of bitterness to keep me guessing. I knew she'd be even better warmed up a bit so I held myself back and just let her temperature rise a bit before approaching her again. She was even better with my second taste. Still sweet, but so balanced and slightly complex that I wanted more and more as fast as I could take her in so that I could figure out exactly what she was giving me. It turned into an all out rampage and I had trouble controlling myself and losing my gentlemanly qualities. But, I didn't care either. I threw caution and manners to wind and I took her exactly as I wanted to - unapologetically. In the end, she gave me just what I wanted and felt satisfied and sated.

Ok, the facts:
- Beautiful ruby read color, zero head (which doesn't really matter to me)
- Crystal clear pour even with the bottle 100% vertical. SOLID trub cake that didn't move at all
- Aroma, slightly sweet with a hint of caramel and maybe toffee? No hop presence in the nose which is what I expected
- Taste: First taste is sweet with a follow up that takes that away but is far from bitter. It's nice because it doesn't leave you feeling like you drank a soda or something else sweet

My mini fridge was actually really cold when I pulled this out so the hops were a bit muted on the first few sips so I did let it sit for 15 minutes to warm a bit before drinking more. That made a big difference as the hops were more forward to provide a very good balance for a nice session amber ale, just as expected.

Those expecting or wanting a hoppy red aren't going to get it with this as it's definitely on the balanced-to-malty end of the spectrum which IMO is typical of the style. It's very good. Period. I could easily drink a number of these in a night without complaint so I'm giving this a solid A-/B+ rating. I'm just getting my tastes back after the fly so I reserving room to improve that score in a few days when I try another one. I do need to adjust my fridge and see why it's SO cold right now. It's BMC-cold which I don't like.

Those looking to use this as a base to add hops to will be very happy, I think. It doesn't need any more malt IMO, though - unless you need to add a bit for a hop-boil but it certainly doesn't need a bum of malt unless you really want to push it to a 'thicker' amber like some Christmas Ales.

If what you are looking for is a solid, session-amber ale that gives you a touch of sweetness upfront that gets washed away with just a hint of hop finish to take the sweetness off your palate in the end you will be very happy with this beer.

Well done CMrB. Well done.

Guest System Admin

I had to go take a cold shower after reading this...

I brewed this HME a couple of nights ago along with a softpack of smooth LME. I'm doing a small experiment with the yeast on this one. I used two packs of the 5g downunda yeast, just to be sure I pitched enough. I am fermenting in a room with an ambient temp around 62*, though, so I am interested in how this new yeast reacts to that temp.

I've gotten a good krausen as of last night and into today, and the LBK temp is up to about 66* as of this morning, so it seems to be chugging along nicely.

I just thought it would be interesting to see how it does at lower temps with this yeast. I have typically brewed with US-05 or S-04 depending on the beer and kept the temps in the low 60s. The two batches I have done previously with the new yeast, I have kept the temps between 68-70* as suggested by MRB.

I'll come back here to post the results.

Has anyone else fermented with this yeast at lower temps?

"Kealia" post=295088 said:

Last night I wanted a redhead. No, I NEEDED a redhead. I LONGED for her. My wife didn't object so I had her.

I'd been thinking about her all day, letting the anticipation build up. I couldn't the thoughts of her out of my head as I thought about how I would have her.

I approached her slowly, gently picking her up and carrying her to where the action would take place. I set her down and took a step back to just take her in. I traced every inch of her with my eyes, paying special attention to how her shape curved right around her neck. The anticipation was building up and I could see sweat beads of sweat starting to form around her neck. I watched as it slowly found its way all the down her smooth body.

I couldn't keep my hands off of her any longer, now was the time. I wrapped my hands around her as gently as I could while I was fighting off the urge to just take all of her at once. I put her in her place and admired the ruby red glow she was exuding. Just beautiful. I felt like I could stare at her all night - but I knew I couldn't hold out much longer so I moved in to slowly take in her aroma. Soft and smooth on the nose and just a tickle of sweetness that made its way into my nose telling me that she had a lot to offer...

I tasted her. Just a bit at first to let that first sensation really hit home. She passed my lips slowly and danced her way onto my tongue, letting me really taste all of her. Aaahhh, the sweetness up front was followed by just a hint of bitterness to keep me guessing. I knew she'd be even better warmed up a bit so I held myself back and just let her temperature rise a bit before approaching her again. She was even better with my second taste. Still sweet, but so balanced and slightly complex that I wanted more and more as fast as I could take her in so that I could figure out exactly what she was giving me. It turned into an all out rampage and I had trouble controlling myself and losing my gentlemanly qualities. But, I didn't care either. I threw caution and manners to wind and I took her exactly as I wanted to - unapologetically. In the end, she gave me just what I wanted and felt satisfied and sated.

Ok, the facts:
- Crystal clear pour even with the bottle 100% vertical. SOLID trub cake that didn't move at all
- Aroma, slightly sweet with a hint of caramel and maybe toffee? No hop presence in the nose which is what I expected
- Taste: First taste is sweet with a follow up that takes that away but is far from bitter. It's nice because it doesn't leave you feeling like you drank a soda or something else sweet

My mini fridge was actually really cold when I pulled this out so the hops were a bit muted on the first few sips so I did let it sit for 15 minutes to warm a bit before drinking more. That made a big difference as the hops were more forward to provide a very good balance for a nice session amber ale, just as expected.

Those expecting or wanting a hoppy red aren't going to get it with this as it's definitely on the balanced-to-malty end of the spectrum which IMO is typical of the style. It's very good. Period. I could easily drink a number of these in a night without complaint so I'm giving this a solid A-/B+ rating. I'm just getting my tastes back after the fly so I reserving room to improve that score in a few days when I try another one. I do need to adjust my fridge and see why it's SO cold right now. It's BMC-cold which I don't like.

Those looking to use this as a base to add hops to will be very happy, I think. It doesn't need any more malt IMO, though - unless you need to add a bit for a hop-boil but it certainly doesn't need a bum of malt unless you really want to push it to a 'thicker' amber like some Christmas Ales.

If what you are looking for is a solid, session-amber ale that gives you a touch of sweetness upfront that gets washed away with just a hint of hop finish to take the sweetness off your palate in the end you will be very happy with this beer.

Good review! I really like this beer and just received another can yesterday. :drinking:

I realize that I forgot to take a first pour pic. I'll do that on my next bottle.

I took OG it was 1.062 took SG it is 1.0 does that sound right both of these reading's were taken at 66 deg.Opps misread it's 1.011ish how's that.I'm clueless as to what ABV might be don't understand that part yet.Tastes sweet guess I will let go full 3 weeks.

1.011 might be as good as it gets ABV-wise. The sweetish cidery taste is green beer taste. Goes away in conditioning.

No harm in giving it three weeks though. I don't even bother taking FG until then.

"Kealia" post=295564 said:

That gives you ~6.7% ABV. How long has it been fermenting?

Two weeks yesterday.One can of the HME and one booster.

"Kealia" post=295088 said:

Ok, the facts:

Nice write up K

Very nice review Kealia, you pulled off that story quite well. Still, I'll take an actual (good-looking) redhead over the BAA any day. Nothing personal C/MB.

Guest System Admin

That must be what they mean by "Beer PrOn"

Glad you all enjoyed the review - I couldn't resist having a little fun with it.

I'm anxious to get other's input as well. Given my pipeline and need for room for fermenting and chilling my 5G batch of Levitation, I don't have any more chilling so the next bottle will get another 2+ weeks at cellar temps before even making it into the fridge.

I just opened a Lt PET after 3 weeks.

Nice big head and great lacing. It has a mild malt flavor with a little hop bitterness. I guess I would say it's a bit thin, but think the flavor is comparable to any other Amber I've had. I also accidentally filled nearly to the top of the Q so I expected it to be a little thin.

The 1/4oz of Cascade I put in at flameout comes through as well at the beginning, then the mild malty bitterness takes over at the finish.

Nice brew overall. I'd give it a B.

I brewed my Bewitched Amber Ale today with the following ingredients & OG results:

Craft Series BAA = 1300 Grams
1/2 bag booster = Why? WTFC?
added gypsum powder & campden tablet to water
Pitched 5 gram sachet of Coopers Yeast (fromunda new lid)

OG = 1.046 @ 60* FG = 1.009 ABV = 4.9%

Bottled on 10-8-2012 & First pour today...not as good as I expected but a fair drink nonetheless, I would call it decent session beer with a little bigger kick. Extremely mild amber malt flavor, SWMBO & M-i-L even mentioned they thought it would be more malty & I agree. I sure hope this one gets better, as it should with even longer conditioning. Had a good carb sound when opening the bottle but not much head and a little lacing. Good color and aroma. I guess I expected the flavor to be like the Old MB Bewitched Red Ale with a rich malty mouth-feel to it. 3 out of 5 in my book. It didn't seem to have the thinness due to the added half bag of booster. Gonna have to add some amber LME next brew-date with BAA.
[attachment=9353]1stpourBewitchedAmberAleCMB.jpg[/attachment]

Couldn't wait and drank my trub bottle after three days in fridge. It was a pretty good beer and will work out to be a good base. Next time I'll make sure I don't get so f'd up when I'm brewing and overfill my keg. I'm sure this would have even better if I hadn't watered it down. I'll probably give it another go straight up with a little added DME for more umph.

"stevecon" post=296783 said:

Couldn't wait and drank my trub bottle after three days in fridge. It was a pretty good beer and will work out to be a good base. Next time I'll make sure I don't get so f'd up when I'm brewing and overfill my keg. I'm sure this would have even better if I hadn't watered it down. I'll probably give it another go straight up with a little added DME for more umph.

My new brewery name: F'd Up Brewery & the motto is "Once you're F'd Up, you won't care anymore"

I have actually brewed some of my best homebrews f'd up...so I can't complain when they don't turn out just right either.
Agree with you on a good base and hope we can find them on big-time sale after the New Year.

Guest System Admin

Hells ya T8r will be looking fwd to the fire sale deals after the holidays.

Edit

Sorry off topic, forgive please :pound:

[attachment=9380]SlowRideBrew.JPG[/attachment]

"Dsouth1111" post=287356 said:

"Beerlabelman" post=287163 said:

Brewed BAA tonight. 1/2 pack Booster - Steeped 8oz of Cara Crystal Wheat - 1 pound Breiss Golden Light DME - German Opal Hops 1/3 oz/each at 15 min, 5 min & DH last 1/3oz for 10 Days. 1/4 Tsp of Irish Moss for 5 Min. Used 1 Pack of the new Coopers yeast & 3 packs of the Old Mr Beer Yeast - Pitched right into the LBK at 72 degrees.
Looks & smells good. Extract from the can tasted good too.
I hope my additions work out. :side: Going to call it "Slow Ride" :cheers:

What was your OG on the "slow ride"? It sounds great!

I never took a reading, est was 1.073 It looks real good in my clear test bottle the rest is in a corny keg. Here's the label.

Started the BAA on Saturday (my 3rd brew). Straight up, no mods of any kind so I can get a flavor for the base and then make adjustments to my taste preferences. OG = 1.057
Yeast is going nuts! It's happy, happy, happy! (Pic is after 36 hours)
[attachment=9422]IMG_20121118_122415.jpg[/attachment]

From reading about every ones taste reviews, I am really looking forward to getting this one under my belt.

Had my first bottle of Bewitched today with dinner. It was delightful. Nice creamy long lasting head, beautiful color, smooth and tasty. A winner in my book.

Oh yeah, the little adder of Saaz hops was a nice touch at the end. If I make this again I might go 1/2 oz.

Cheers! :chug:

"bcltoys" post=298504 said:

Deleted messed up.

I bottled this a week ago yesterday used 1.5tsp of sugar per liter and 1/2tsp in a 12oz bottle,don't know if I used the right amount of priming sugar but I tried the 12oz bottle yesterday plenty of carb in it and tasted very good.Very impressed with the taste. I pose it will only get better with age.

Well this has been in the bottle's for three week tried another one tastes like pine tar has been added to it not sure what has happened.

"bcltoys" post=298649 said:

"bcltoys" post=298504 said:

Deleted messed up.

I bottled this a week ago yesterday used 1.5tsp of sugar per liter and 1/2tsp in a 12oz bottle,don't know if I used the right amount of priming sugar but I tried the 12oz bottle yesterday plenty of carb in it and tasted very good.Very impressed with the taste. I pose it will only get better with age.

Per Mr. Beer instructions, this is the amount of sugar for those sizes:

1 Liter Bottle - 2.5 TSP
12 Ounce Bottle - .75 TSP

Which bottle tasted like pine tar was in it? The liter or 12 oz. bottle? Per Mr. Beer, you are 1 TSP short of what they call for, going in the 1 liter bottles. Also, give it 4 weeks in the bottles before you try them. usually gives the conditioning process enough time for any clean up to happen in the beer. Give it another week, then put a few bottles in the fridge for 3 days. Try again.

The 12oz tasted fine.Tried 1liter bottle today carb not bad but a real piney taste drank it but had to force my self.

"bcltoys" post=303559 said:

The 12oz tasted fine.Tried 1liter bottle today carb not bad but a real piney taste drank it but had to force my self.

The forced drink, been there done that.

First taste of BAA at 3 1/2 weeks in the bottle. Beautiful deep amber color and crystal clear, but not much head. This beer is fairly balanced but slightly more to the malty side of the malty-hoppy spectrum. I did detect some piney hops flavor and decent bitterness. It does taste young at this point. Will have to see how it ages , but overall I like it. I think a bit more malt (DME) for mouthfeel and slightly more hops could make it an awesome brew.

"docpd" post=304822 said:

First taste of BAA at 3 1/2 weeks in the bottle. Beautiful deep amber color and crystal clear, but not much head. This beer is fairly balanced but slightly more to the malty side of the malty-hoppy spectrum. I did detect some piney hops flavor and decent bitterness. It does taste young at this point. Will have to see how it ages , but overall I like it. I think a bit more malt (DME) for mouthfeel and slightly more hops could make it an awesome brew.

I chilled mine down and started drinking the batch a few days ago, and have about 12 left for me and my guests for Christmas today, among other batches. IT IS VERY GOOD. I also assessed a malty profile ... I generally prefer hoppier beers, but this one as you say, is very flavorful. Another MrBeer winner. The only part I got a different result, was that, like my Diablo, I got great, foamy, rocky head on this beer. Much better head character than on my AGs.

I'm starting to think that when the batch attenuates real low, it adversely affects the head character of the beer. This doesn't happen usually with HME's, especially with the yeast supplied. Or, maybe it's an ingredient in the HME. But, I got great, creamy, rocky, foamy head formation and retention on the Bewitched Amber. Mr. Beer gets another A+ from me.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Just bottled my Bewitched after 3 weeks and a day in the LBK! SG came at 1.008 which seems low. Think my hydrometer may be slightly off so might be closer to 1.01

"MattP1981" post=310696 said:

Just bottled my Bewitched after 3 weeks and a day in the LBK! SG came at 1.008 which seems low. Think my hydrometer may be slightly off so might be closer to 1.01

If you did it without an added Brewpack of LME, that's right on. I got 1.043 OG and 1.007 FG.

TATER!!!!
Wow, GreatHead!!!
Is that straight MrB recipe?
What did you use for bottle carbing???

Toaszt!

Tater,
What carbing sugar did you use? and did you add to the base recipe,
:party:
GR8tr Hed!

I know this is an old thread but did Dr. Yeast ever post that information on the Mr Beer Yeast (via Mr Beer CEO Post). I can't seem to find it.

I cracked another one last night and it's a fine, smooth malty beer. It's on the opposite side of the spectrum from my Levitation Ale because it's so much more malty. Not in a bad way, just different. It still lacks a little flavor overall IMO (some vienna or biscuit or even hop flavor) to be really interesting to me, though.

Again, not a bad beer just an "ok" beer IMO.

"ZiggyZag" post=316949 said:

Tater,
What carbing sugar did you use? and did you add to the base recipe,
:party:
GR8tr Hed![/quote
Only add in was booster for a kick in abv...table sugar is all i ever use and i think was 1.25 tsp per. 5 litre bottle. A good base/ basic brew recipe and will do again with booster and a lb of amber lme. I am really enjoying the new MB refills as well as my stash of old refills. Bring on the sales please.

Cracked open one at three weeks for science! Had decent head and great amber color. Had a good taste to it and got compliments from family that took a sip. Can't wait to try this weekend when it hits four weeks!

Hi all,

Newbie here, been lurking for a few weeks learning from the posts. I brewed this one tonight with 8oz Breiss Golden Light DME & .5oz Kent Goldings hops for for an hour, and another .5oz Kent Goldings for the last 15 minutes. OG was 1.059 and the sample was very good! Malty, but could still taste some of the hops. We shall see, this is my first attempt doing something that isn't a straight Mr.B kit (all of which I've had bad results from - all cidery after 2 weeks in the keg)

Hey, Danno... sounds like a fine brew. Any additional info on the prior batches so we can get a grasp on what might be causing you issues? Recipes? Pitching temps? Fermenting temps? Time in bottle? Temp bottles stored at?

All three were Mr. Beer kits without any additions. One Classic American Light, one Aztec Cerveza and one Czech Pilsner. They were my first attempts at doing this, so I'm sure it was something I did. However, they all came out the same, very cidery and not really much beer taste to them. All were fermented in the LBK for 2 weeks each. As it stands now, they've been in the bottle for 2, 3, and 4 weeks so some of that might condition out with time but I'm sure it was something I did to start with. I didn't even make note of the pitching temp at the time, honestly, but I know they all fermented at a good 69-72 degrees steadily.