Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
fsuinnc

How long does batch priming take (sit)?

So I have been reading about batch priming and it sounds like it would be worth a try (cause I hate measuring the sugar into the bottles). I have been reading lots of posts about it and how much/what kind of sugar etc.

My only remaining question is, How long does it sit in the priming container? if I understand correctly gently move the beer to the priming container mixing the water/sugar primer and then bottle immediately? is that correct?

You are correct sir! I pour water/sugar mixture into the priming container first, then siphon the beer from the LBK on top of that. Then I give it a gentle stirring to make sure everything is mixed well. Just be careful not to aerate it. Then I bottle immediately.

Be sure to cool your priming mixture before adding the beer to it. Also, once the beer is transferred, I like to give it a gentle stir to ensure it is mixed evenly.

Guest System Admin

Once you made the priming mixture (and cooled) from time you move to bottling bucket (LBK, Bucket, or Slime Line) I can bottle in about 30 min with my bench capper.

Granted this is if the bottles are sanitzed.

Batch priming made bottling about 20 min faster when doing 12oz bottles

Not much to add here. Just that you don't need to rush the process. As long as your careful, and there isn't a tornado in your kitchen, your beer will probably turn out fine. Also, if you can, it helps to have a good height difference between the LBK and bottling bucket. As well as between the bottling bucket and bottle filler. I missed that little detail the first time.

Looks like everythings been covered.
+1 with the height thing. I set my bottling LBK OR bucket on a milk crate on the counter, less bending to fill the bottles.
I also open the dishwasher door and bottle over it. Any drips land on the door. Easy clean up.

Good advice all around. You'll find what procedures work best for you. All my beer is in the basement, and I've got a bottling bench down there, built to my specifications. I can transfer beer (on the bench) to the bucket (on the floor), then lift the bucket to the higher shelf unit and bottle while I sit in front of it. The bottling wand is just about at eye level as I sit there, and the bench capper is directly to the right of the shelf unit. Works a treat, I tell you whut.

The only recommendation I'd make is to empty about half of your beer into the bucket and THEN add the priming sugar solution. This will help you avoid the possibility of a glob of priming sugar lying unmixed at the bottom. To be sure, I also stir three or four times very gently, too, but I just feel adding the primer in with the beer, rather than before or after, helps it mix more thoroughly.

Again, you'll find what works best for you. I do believe it cuts down bottling time, especially once you get into a routine and a rhythm.