Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
unkyjack

Sam Adams bottles

Recommended Posts

A couple of weeks ago at a class at the LHBS one of the owners mentioned that customers have been complaining recently about Sam Adams bottles not sealing properly and leaking air. Has anyone here heard about that or had a problem with Sam Adams bottles?

Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless they have changed their bottles recently, I've never had an issue with Sam Adams bottles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 for no problems with Sammy bottles.
The free beer in em is nice too. (Cept cherry wheat blecccch)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for my beer friends, I just measured a couple SA bottles and they are the same size as the new bottles I bought from Mr Beer (27mm), and the same as Wachusett's bottles too

:cheer: free beer, where do you get it ???

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"unkyjack" post=285249 said:

... at a class at the LHBS one of the owners mentioned that customers have been complaining recently about Sam Adams bottles not sealing properly and leaking air.

He's probably just trying to sell more bottles from his store. :dry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe its his capper,,,,,, the old one i got at yard sale needed some welding,,,,my caps dont leek now,,
[attachment=8845]cappers12.jpg[/attachment]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam Adams are my favorite bottles. I have been using them for 3 years with no leakage. For me they seem to cap more easily than others. The free beer in them is not bad either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm glad to hear the Sam Adams bottles are working as they should when capped. It would be a shame to have to toss my growing collection.

As a newbie, I know some caps go on the bottle a little better/tighter than others due to my inconsistent capping technique. If there was air escaping from bottles after I capped them the cause of the problem would likely be me, not the bottle. ;)

I do notice that I sometimes get a small dimple in the middle of the cap if I'm not careful with my Red Baron capper. It seems like the peg that holds the cap magnet lightly punches the center of the cap when I remove the capper if my technique isn't quite right.

Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"unkyjack" post=285381 said:


I do notice that I sometimes get a small dimple in the middle of the cap if I'm not careful with my Red Baron capper. It seems like the peg that holds the cap magnet lightly punches the center of the cap when I remove the capper if my technique isn't quite right.

I always get that dimple. It never seems to affect the seal on the bottle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"willsr" post=285453 said:

"unkyjack" post=285381 said:


I do notice that I sometimes get a small dimple in the middle of the cap if I'm not careful with my Red Baron capper. It seems like the peg that holds the cap magnet lightly punches the center of the cap when I remove the capper if my technique isn't quite right.

I always get that dimple. It never seems to affect the seal on the bottle.

Me too--and I've never had a bottle that did not seal properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

willsr and Gilligean . . .

Thanks guys. I feel better now that I know it's not my novice capping technique that's to blame for the dimple.


Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I don't always get the dimple, I haven't had a problem with the Sam Bottles I use either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have noticed on my SA bottles that they seem to suddenly get a large hole in the top and all the beer disappears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My black capper always left a dimple, my Red Baron capper never does, and I too have never had any problems with SA bottles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"frogmeat69" post=285482 said:

My black capper always left a dimple, my Red Baron capper never does, and I too have never had any problems with SA bottles.


My antique bench capper is not Prejudice, treats all bottles the same,
SA no excepeption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are too funny! Back to the OP; sounds like the guy at the LHBS was spreading some gossip. No prob with SA bottles in my 'neck of the woods'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally get the 'dimple' using brown bottles, SA included. When I use Moosehead green bottles, I don't.

But I've never had a seal problem with either so I'll keep using both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

I have 5-6 cases of SA bottles, along with 5-6 cases of LHBS bought bottles. They all seal, none have leaked since I went to a bench capper. That LHBS is feeding someone a line of BS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"ymmijbeer" post=287293 said:

I use a lot of SA bottles, tho I prefer the Abita bottles. Easier to delabel and bottle with.

I second that on the Abita labels! B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. Can't stand Sam Adams...but the bottles I've acquired with their stuff have worked perfectly fine over several fills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there was a problem with SA bottles not sealing properly, wouldn't that make the ORIGINAL product go flat?

I have to call BS on that, since I've not heard of any massive recalls from the Boston Brewing Co.

I, too, use mostly Sammy bottles, and since I've moved to a bench capper, I've experienced next to no problems. The very rare flat bottle I have to attribute to User Error. And some of my bottles I've been using since I first started brewing, about three years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"FedoraDave" post=290371 said:

I, too, use mostly Sammy bottles, and since I've moved to a bench capper, I've experienced next to no problems. The very rare flat bottle I have to attribute to User Error. And some of my bottles I've been using since I first started brewing, about three years ago.

I know bench cappers are considered the top-of-the-line, but I'm using a Red Baron wing capper. I've done some dry runs on Sam Adams and generic long-neck bottles just to get the feel for using the Red Baron. Like Dave said, the times I've screwed up were due to Operator Error, not a problem with the capper. But, I'd like to reduce OE to a minimum. Are there any tips/techniques to use to get the best results with a wing capper? I'm bottling my first MB batch tomorrow.


Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unkyjack, my advice would be to take your time and make sure the cap is seated properly on the bottle, and to be firm but not overly aggressive or forceful when crimping. You'll get a little resistance when the crimping tongs meet the edges of the cap, but with a smooth, firm motion, you can override it and get a good seal.

It's not a race, and you don't want haste to result in waste. Nice and easy does it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FedoraDave . . .

Thanks for the tips. I followed your suggestions and my first bottling session went smoothly, especially the capping. I used a combination of generic long-necks and Sam Adams bottles, plus some Mr. Beer 1/2-liter PETs.

One thing I learned is that it helps to come up with a workflow system for bottling. The one I devised before I got started actually got me on the right track. A couple of mid-course corrections were needed, but nothing drastic. I was able to accomplish two major goals: using an auto siphon to go from the LBK to a Slim Line for batch priming and using a bottling wand to fill the bottles. Those two things really made the process a lot easier. Absolutely no trub was transferred to the Slim Line and no beer was lost to drips or spills with the bottling wand. Woohoo!

:banana:

The next bottling session should be a lot easier now that I have a better idea of how to do it.


Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Auto-siphon = great!

Batch priming = great!

Bottling wand = great!

I'm a big advocate of all three of these processes. Other guys still bottle prime, or whatever, and if it works for them, well, that's great, too. But I've seen how streamlined my bottling process has become by doing this, and it would take a lot to make me change to something else.

Once you get into a rhythm and have things down, your bottling will go very smoothly. A lot of guys don't like bottling day, but I don't feel that way. By developing a process that allows multi-tasking, it goes very smoothly. For instance, I've learned that in the time it takes for my priming sugar solution to cool to the proper temperature, I can get my bottles sanitized and half the fermenter drained into the priming bucket. Perfect timing to add the sugar, IMO, and let the rest of it drain and automatically mix the primer in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"FedoraDave" post=291218 said:

Once you get into a rhythm and have things down, your bottling will go very smoothly. A lot of guys don't like bottling day, but I don't feel that way. By developing a process that allows multi-tasking, it goes very smoothly. For instance, I've learned that in the time it takes for my priming sugar solution to cool to the proper temperature, I can get my bottles sanitized and half the fermenter drained into the priming bucket. Perfect timing to add the sugar, IMO, and let the rest of it drain and automatically mix the primer in.

Although it was unintentional, that's sort of how I ended up doing my bottling. While the primer mix was cooling, I got as much of the other stuff organized as possible, including sanitizing the bottles and positioning the LBK, Slim Line, bottles, bottle caps and capper where I thought they should go to make a "mini" production line. I was probably just lucky that things worked out as well as they did since much of what I ended up doing was the result of going with my best "guesstimate."

Hey, every once in a while even a blind squirrel finds an acorn. :laugh:


Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...