Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Timewarp

Why do we boil water ?

MrBeer's instructions say to "Bring water to a boil, and then remove from heat. Pour the HME into the hot water and stir until thoroughly mixed."

I feel a bit foolish asking, but for some unknown reason this question popped in to my thoughts as I was watching my wort ferment. Is it just to help the HME to liquify?

Boiling water kills off any bacteria, mold, yeast and any other organisms that are considered nonessential to our brewing process. It also helps the extract to liquify too.

exactly what Screwy said, and if it didn't boil I'd feel foolish calling it a brew day! :chug:

"Screwy Brewer" post=285378 said:

Boiling water kills off any bacteria, mold, yeast and any other organisms that are considered nonessential to our brewing process. It also helps the extract to liquify too.

Ok agreed if all the water is boiled, but what about the cold water added to top it off? I've wondered this too, but the system works so I just do it as per directions.

Don't we accomplish all those same goals when we do a hop boil? And how about if we even just pasteurize the wort without a hop boil? Will either of those two things be sufficient alone?

Boiling is needed to extract the bitterness, flavor and/or aroma from hops. As for boiling for the HME - I think it is just to make it easier to dilute and mix with the water. It thins the HNE out. Then it can be added to colder water and easily mixed.

What everyone said. But you can do it no boil if you want. Just need good sanitation. Other HME kit manufactures have provided totally no-boil instructions in the past.

Here is someone doing it no-boil (and no lbk either!).

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]k75iQSiAkho

Well never thought of brewing that way, Has anyone ever tried using the 2.5 gal water jug? Thanks for sharing Mashani

I think Brian is right. We need to boil the hell out of it.

Now, that video does make it look easy, but I think they overlooked one way that's even easier:

Drink the can of HME and a gallon of water, swallow a pack of yeast, jump up and down to aerate it good, then go lay down for a week. You just made beer.

Drink the can of HME and a gallon of water, swallow a pack of yeast, jump up and down to aerate it good, then go lay down for a week. You just made beer.

More likely a stomach bomb!

[attachment=8859]explosion_animation_gif.gif[/attachment]

"Docniel" post=285480 said:

Well never thought of brewing that way, Has anyone ever tried using the 2.5 gal water jug? Thanks for sharing Mashani

Sure did. Don't recommend it. I did it after I went to brew and my free fermenter had a funky smell. Somebody else decided to be nice and wash it for me and used dishsoap with bleach. Even with an airlock and stopper borrowed from a 1 gallon jug that sucker tried to explode. Yeast was also problematic. It stuck in every little crevice and when I tried to bottle all go sucked up.

[attachment=8860]WaterJug_2012-09-14.jpg[/attachment]

Guest System Admin

I find it funny that they recommended reverse osmosis water when MrB instructions clearly say to NOT use RO water.