Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
esheppy

Sour Mash vs Acidulated Malt

Last weekend, I preformed a sour mash. For details on the brew day, you can go to My #SourBeerDay.

I think maybe I let the souring of the mash go too long or exposed it to too much oxygen, because I detected a little vinegar flavor in the final wort. The taste 12 hours before was a much cleaner lactic flavor.

I decided to ferment and see how it turns out. Time will tell on that.

A thought hit me since then, though. Wyermann makes a product called Acidulated Malt. I've tasted it raw, but never used it in a beer. The raw malt has a nice lactic sour.

I'm wondering if I can't just use a high percentage of acidulated malt to get the sourness of the sour mash without the danger of the bad vinegary sour.

Do any of you have experience with sour mash techniques? Is there a reason using acidulated malt wouldn't work?

:party:

No one?

I just took a sample of my sour beer after being in the fermentor almost a week. Gravity is down to 1.010, and I am really liking the flavor. Don't get that vinegar taste at all.

Pleasantly surprised.

263921_4273319724348_1768005592_n.jpg

You can use Acidulated malt to make pseudo-sours. I only call these pseudo-sours because your killing the bugs up front instead of doing a full long wild beer souring type of process. They are still sours, but perhaps less complex.

The advantage would be that you can more carefully control the level of sourness, IE if you make it say 6% of your grain bill and brew the same beer twice you should get an equivelant level of sourness in the finished product. My understanding is that during the malt production process they allow the bacteria on the grain to do their thing while the malt is wet until the PH to reach a specific level and then they stop it by completing the malting. A sour malt vs. sour mash, but same basic premise.

FWIW, you could do a partial sour mash and then blend that with a regular mash pre-boil to achieve the same effect, using PH testing to tell you when you hit your sweet spot (sour spot?) whatever that may be.

I use acidulated malt quite a bit for pH control but never for a sour mash...I'll have to follow the link to read about your sour mash process.

Cheers!