Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
edk12687

i think i screwed up anyway to fix it ???? please

so i followed the instructions and the youtube video. well since its getting to be october i figured id tried making the octoberfest vienna lager. but the thing is neither the youtube video or the instruction booklet. Told me to add the booster to the hme. so i well didnt lol i just used purified water the hme and yest no booster. so did i screw up the whole thing or am i in the clear? i dont have alot of experience with brewing this will be my first batch lol. but i did look around the fourm and internet i saw it both ways with and without the booster. also instead of using plain white suger has anyone tried dark brown suger ?

That will be a very thin and watery beer, if you put one 19 oz can of HME alone in a full LBK batch. How long has it been since you put it in there and pitched the yeast? If it was me, I would consider dissolving the booster(and/or more malt) in a small amount of warm water, taking it close to a boil, then cooling it to the temp of the wort in LBK and gently stirring it in. Then relax and wait.

That's one possibility. I'm sure there's others.

You're good!

The booster is used to increase "body" and add about 1.4% to the ABV.
Assuming you used 1 can of the 1.87lb "Oktoberfest Lager", you will get approx 3.7% ABV.

The older (smaller) cans of HME would produce ~2.3% ABV, so the older basic kits would typically have 1 can HME + 1 pouch booster.

You mention sugar, but for what?
If you're talking about priming (for carbonating), you can use either. However, note that the yeast eats the yummy sugar and leaves the molasses style remains which I've read can taste "irony".

Edit: As Joe pointed out, you may find it watery.... a lack of body. My understanding is that the booster is basically corn sugar solids. The yeast eats what it can of the sugars, and does not eat some of the corn based remains. These remain as really small pieces in the solution, giving a feel of a less watery beer.

its been about 1 day not even since i brewed it at midnightish yesterday so it would be safe to take the cap off then and stir some of the booster in as long as its the same temp as the worth in the lbk

and yes for the priming but thanks for the info

"edk12687" post=286148 said:

its been about 1 day not even since i brewed it at midnightish yesterday so it would be safe to take the cap off then and stir some of the booster in as long as its the same temp as the worth in the lbk

It should be safe as long as you boil, or at least pasteurize the booster/water before cooling and adding to LBK, as well as sanitize any utensils you use in the process.

I've never made a batch with only one can of HME alone, but since booster only adds alcohol and not much else, it may not be a dramatic difference in body and flavor. There is a little bit of maltodextrin in the booster, for what that's worth. Would really be great if you also had a half pound of malt to add either instead of or in addition to that booster.

Anyway, dissolve it, heat it up real good, then cool down and add to LBK. Keep it simple. You'll be fine. Just sanitize everything in the process.

A lot of us older people, as in using the old MRB products, do not use Booster. I add DME instead of booster. Dme adds more flavor, malt and taste than booster. The more dme you use, the higher the abv too. As well as sugar, but dme is a lot better. Too much plain sugar will add a more cidery, thinner beer. You need more malt than sugar. Hope this makes sense.

Nash makes a good point. Howsomever... if you don't have any DME/LME laying about, just boil up the booster in about 2 cups water, cool, just pour into the LBK. No need to stir it up. The yeast will find it.

I agree with yankeedag you could add the booster but make sure you boil it first. It will sanitize it as well as get it mixed into a solution. Booster is pretty difficult to mix itself.

Of course this is all assuming that you are using one of the older Octoberfest Vienna Lager kits because it will be really thin without the booster.

Are you referring to priming sugar when you mention the white sugar? I have never primed with brown sugar but have used it to add flavor to other recipes.

Good point by Duff. If this is the new OVL, the booster technically isn't necessary, but could be added nonetheless.

To sum up some thoughts from above... WIthout the booster, the ABV would be around 2-2.4% if this is an old can or 3.4-3.7% if this is a new, bigger can. The booster will add 1.4%ish, if memory serves, and also some body from the maltodextrine...

To add the booster, boil a small amount of water with booster, make sure booster dissolves and liquefies, let it cool to 70 degrees, uncap, pour in, cap, done.

i bought the kit last year but at anyrate i added some booster into the brew. so now i guess i sit back and wait. wish me luck guys lol. i dont hold high hopes for this batch but i plan on doing alot more reading and searching the web so my second batch so be worlds better. thanks for all the info

edit: also does anyone have a pdf link to the book that comes with the kits i checked the website but apprently theres a diffrent book it comes with other then that. the book on the website doesnt really give deatiled info about anything.

You will have beer and will have a good lesson on brewing to boot. Your first brew is always a learning experience. It also will be one of your most memorable, if not the most memorable, brews regardless of how it turns out.

The one advantage of the new Mr. B brews, is you won't have to worry about the booster. You will have a beer no matter if you add anything or not. You will get the Mr. B HME and if you want to add ABV you will add more malt to it and forget about booster.

Welcome to the obsession! You will be assimilated.