Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nash1444

Apple Ale/Hard Cider

Hi Brewers,
Need some advice here. I want to make an apple ale. Most of the recipies i see online from the major stores, they just add apple extract at bottling time. One says to add actual apple juice or cider. I think adding real juice would help the flavor, and also add ABV. And you can still add extract at bottling too if you want. But i also want to make a hard cider, but MRB does not have that right now. I made a 5 gallon batch before, and it was sour, not a MRB batch. I like a dry cider compared to sweet, and prefer an amber cider too.

I can do both i guess. I am thinking, i can go to my LHBS and get a 3.5-4.0 can of Coopers regular ale, hopped of course. Which will be for a 5 gallon batch, i have 3 empty LBK's but also have a complete 5 gallon set up as well. 6.5 gallon primary, 5 gallon secondary and bottling bucket. So do not have to split the batch. With one can of Coopers, and DME, would 2 pounds of DME be better than one pound? Let's say one can of Coopers and 2 pounds of DME, 2.5 gallons of water, 2.5 gallons of apple juice or cider, would these work out to be a good apple ale?

In my LBK, can i add 2 gallons of apple juice/cider, then add 1 pound of light DME, along with some hops for hard cider with flavor? Maybe a cup of brown sugar? So, i want to do a 5 gallon batch of apple ale and a LBK of hard cider basically. Your thoughts? Advice? Thanks all.

Nash,

I saw this post a couple days ago, but since I never made an apple ale, I didn't respond. Now that I see nobody else said anything, I guess whatever I throw out there is better than nothing. Hope I'm not too late. Sorry.

Here's a link to an old MR Beer recipe that might help you gel your idea:
Dutch Apple Ale
Hit the 'Instruction' tab for the list of ingredients.

I've been working on a hard apple cider recipe for my wife, who hates the taste of alcohol, so that's quite a challenge right there. But your apple ale thing sounds pretty interesting. If I happen to stumble across anything good in the future, I'll certainly post it.

Good luck with yours!

I would start out with a smaller batch. If you are trying to make the Woodchuck/AngryOrchard/Hornsby's type of cider - it's gonna be pretty hard.

I have been trying to get the perfect apple drink for a couple of years. Most turn out with a high ABV, but no apple taste.

I had NO luck with the MB recipes with the Archers and even tried a couple twice.

My best batch, and it was 50%, if that - was a light ale with apple extract added at bottling time.

:chug:

"Joechianti" post=286597 said:

Nash,

I saw this post a couple days ago, but since I never made an apple ale, I didn't respond. Now that I see nobody else said anything, I guess whatever I throw out there is better than nothing. Hope I'm not too late. Sorry.

Here's a link to an old MR Beer recipe that might help you gel your idea:
Dutch Apple Ale
Hit the 'Instruction' tab for the list of ingredients.

I've been working on a hard apple cider recipe for my wife, who hates the taste of alcohol, so that's quite a challenge right there. But your apple ale thing sounds pretty interesting. If I happen to stumble across anything good in the future, I'll certainly post it.

Good luck with yours!

Thanks Joe! I came back today to see if i had a replies yet. I am thinking i will just do a light ale and add apple juice to it. Instead of 2 quarts like the dutch apple ale recipe, i will try one gallon instead. And some amber DME, that's all i have laying around right now. Doing the 2.5 gallon cider tomorrow, will also use the other half of my DME in there and hops in a hop sack. Also doing another cider without adding anything to it, besides 2 cups of brown sugar. Thanks.

"SmokeDiver3zero" post=286614 said:

I would start out with a smaller batch. If you are trying to make the Woodchuck/AngryOrchard/Hornsby's type of cider - it's gonna be pretty hard.

I have been trying to get the perfect apple drink for a couple of years. Most turn out with a high ABV, but no apple taste.

I had NO luck with the MB recipes with the Archers and even tried a couple twice.

My best batch, and it was 50%, if that - was a light ale with apple extract added at bottling time.

:chug:

Thanks. I like the Hornsby's but know i can not make it. Like their amber cider better than the geen apple. I also tried archers but there was no ABV in it. I am going to try what Taz advised me on. He bottles using one gallon of apple juice and one can of apple juice concentrate, it helps add the apple flavor. No sugar added to bottles. Thanks.

"russki" post=286617 said:

You may also want to take a look at Graff - lightly hopped malted cider. Mine is still carbing up, but the taste at bottling was excellent. It's semi-sweet, appley and caramely, with just a tiny touch of hops.

It sounds great! Please let us know how it comes out. As i stated in my other reply, doing 2 batches of cider tomorrow, one plain and one with DME and hops. I may have to make yours too in the future. Thank You.

I just recently made a very similar beer to the Dutch apple ale.

1 can Light Premier Malt Extact (available at my local Piggly Wiggly)
1 64 oz bottle apple juice

3 weeks in lbk
3 weeks in bottles at room temp

after 3 days in fridge I tried the first, it was drinkable but not good
after a week better
now after 2 weeks it is still improving
I am trying to be patient but it is my first beer in a while so it is all I have in the fridge.

Slight apple taste. I've had several commercial ciders/apple ales and is nothing like those.

Premier malt is a 1kg can so just less than 2 Mr Beer cans. The hop flavor is very light, which is good for me as I prefer more malt than hops.