Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
dcowboys107

American Porter

I have the American Porter with the Robust UME. I'm looking for some advice on how to make this better. First of all, is it good on its own? I've heard conflicting stories so I was thinking about adding chocolate and/or dark brown sugar.

I have qbrew but chocolate doesn't show up. I would like the chocolate taste in the beer but I'm unsure if the beer will end up being too sweet for the style.

Any advice on how to make this good would be appreciated.

You could do something like this, but personally, I would just do the porter with the robust LME. I haven't made it, but I would imagine it would be pretty decent and would give you a baseline. I made an American porter with the old creamy brown UME and the aroma and hydro sample were encouraging (I made it as a barrel aged lager and it'll be a few more weeks before I take a taste test).

You could steep 6 to 8 ounces of Chocolate 350L specialty grain for 30 minutes in 155-160 degree water. This will add head retention, mouthfeel and impart color and some flavor.

Midwest Supplies says "Chocolate malt will give your beer a warm, nutty, chocolate-like flavor. Just a few ounces in a batch will impart a slight brown color. Use up to a pound in porters and stouts and dark lagers."

They are of course talking about 5 gallon batches when they say to use a pound so that's why you dail it back to 6 to 8 ounces.

:borg:

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=287111 said:

You could steep 6 to 8 ounces of Chocolate 350L specialty grain for 30 minutes in 155-160 degree water. This will add head retention, mouthfeel and impart color and some flavor.

Midwest Supplies says "Chocolate malt will give your beer a warm, nutty, chocolate-like flavor. Just a few ounces in a batch will impart a slight brown color. Use up to a pound in porters and stouts and dark lagers."

They are of course talking about 5 gallon batches when they say to use a pound so that's why you dail it back to 6 to 8 ounces.

:borg:

That is an option, but remember the porter by itself is low gravity and already has black patent, chocolate, or some unknown combination of roasted malts in it. So go easy, those dark roasted malts can get overpowering. I'd do no more than a couple of ounces the first time around to make sure it's not overdone.

Good point, KZ.

:laugh: :P :ohmy: :lol:

I recall someone in here saying they added chocolate (like a hershey bar) and it resulted in a layer of gunk created by the fat in the chocolate. Sounds like a cleaning nightmare to me!!

"KZ" post=287110 said:

You could do something like this, but personally, I would just do the porter with the robust LME. I haven't made it, but I would imagine it would be pretty decent and would give you a baseline. I made an American porter with the old creamy brown UME and the aroma and hydro sample were encouraging (I made it as a barrel aged lager and it'll be a few more weeks before I take a taste test).

I've seen that recipe but it doesn't include the Robust UME which I'd like to include. Do you think it'be ok to follow that recipe and throw in the UME?

I've got that chocolate porter in the LBK right now. I did add 1/2lb of dark DME, 1/4lb of Carapils, 1/4lb of Roasted Barley and about 1.5oz of Chocolate malt to the recipe. Going into the keg it tasted great, I'll bottle and taste it this weekend, hoping it's just as good with the alcohol!

The added UME shouldn't hurt it, from what I remember reading was the HME was pretty thin, that's why I embellished mine.

I made the standard AP. In fact, I just finished drinking one. It isn't a bad beer at all. But I said in my initial review (this was one of the beta testers Mr. Beer sent me) that it would be a darn good beer with the addition of a lb of DME.

So I'd just make it as is with the LME and I'd be willing to bet you come out with an outstanding beer.

Let us know. This may be one that I want to purchase.

+1 to just adding a little more malt to the American Porter. I planned to brew mine straight up, but after hearing a few people say it was a bit too thin and weak, I decided to just add a little extra malt, and I think I threw in a little booster. Partly to stretch the volume a little, and partly to "soup it up" a little.

I'm not a huge Porter fan, I guess, but it was pretty decent. I found it a little bitter for my taste, but that little extra malt did give it a little body. All in all, I'm enjoying it okay.

I'm actually more excited about the Craft series, which is what I'm brewing up now. Can hardly wait to see how they turn out. Did them pretty much straight up, too. Just added a half bag of booster to stretch the volume, but no extra malt. I'm expecting them to be okay as is.

"Chuck N" post=287152 said:

I made the standard AP. In fact, I just finished drinking one. It isn't a bad beer at all. But I said in my initial review (this was one of the beta testers Mr. Beer sent me) that it would be a darn good beer with the addition of a lb of DME.

So I'd just make it as is with the LME and I'd be willing to bet you come out with an outstanding beer.

what kind of DME would you use?

Hey DCowboys, I agree with KZ. I made the MrBeer Chocolate Porter. I don't think it needs any more chocolate, 1/2 my guests really liked it, the other half said it was too much chocolate. It was about 5% ABV. You could tweak it by adding some malt like LME/DME, but then you would probably want to reduce the sugar.
So I guess you have to decide what you want. I would not want it to be higher in ABV. I would make it just a little more malty with some LME, (and therefore only half as much brown sugar) and keep the choc. as per the recipe.

:cheers: :drinking:

"Brian1179" post=287180 said:

"Chuck N" post=287152 said:

what kind of DME would you use?

I'd use Munton's Extra Dark DME.

"Chuck N" post=287226 said:

I'd use Munton's Extra Dark DME.

thanks i am going to do this next time i brewed this as is so i can have a base line of what it tastes like so... :cheers:

I made a chocolate porter thread a while ago and got some really good ideas. SamuelD suggested using 2 oz of cocoa nibs and a vanilla bean for the LBK. That's what I am currently making. Brewed the american porter straight up with smooth lme. After one week of primary I added the vanilla bean and cocoa nibs (sanitized in vodka--also helped bring out the flavor). I've read that cocoa nibs are great to use for brewing, although this is my first go with them.

Well, I made a beer that amounted to a Robust Porter, but was enetered in the Specialty Beer category due to the over hop. The Robust Porter category calls for:

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.048 – 1.065
IBUs: 25 – 50 FG: 1.012 – 1.016
SRM: 22 – 35 ABV: 4.8 – 6.5%

My simple recipe called for:
2 cans Mr. Beer American Porter
10 oz. Carabohemian
8 oz. Victory Malt

Final stats:
OG - 1.060 (measured)
IBU - 82
FG - 1.011 (measured)
SRM - 22 estimate
ABV - 6.5%

The one big issue I saw on the scorecards is that both judges indicates that it finished with a "burnt" note. I am wildly curious if anyone is detecting any "Burnt" notes in their taste with this HME.

Also, despite the 82 IBUs (and therefore it's entry into the Specialty catergory versus the Robust Porter category) both judges felt that this beer just didn't have enough of a hop backbone. Suggestions left for bittering hop addition.

Just had my first chocolate porter last night. I crash cooled it so to speak so there were some chocolate floaty things in it still but it was amazing. The next ones I'll be sure to keep in the fridge for several days to clear it up better. Definitely has a roasty taste to it and a hint of chocolate so I'm overall very happy and is probably one of the best beers I've made.

leaving at room temp longer should help clear it up, and then leave it in the frige a few days to help settle it more.

Good. I've got Chocolate Porter in the LBK now. Can't waut to give it a try in about two months.

American Porter is good, my advice is to do the "deluxe" version (i.e. one can HME and the robust LME) and see if you like it.

"Bull" post=304983 said:

Good. I've got Chocolate Porter in the LBK now. Can't waut to give it a try in about two months.

I'm brewing this one next, and I'm really excited about it!

"evily" post=305039 said:

"Bull" post=304983 said:

I'm brewing this one next, and I'm really excited about it!

Emily~

Please update us as to how this turns out for you.

Thanks.