Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
julypena

Spiced Winter Lager

Hi, I'm thinking about brewing a Spiced Winter Ale for my next Mr Beer batch, I've been reading online about the recipes and so far I got the spices figured out but I need help with the quantities.

I'm going for the regular 2 gallon batch and going for the Patriot American Lager Deluxe Refill

No chat available today, so do I need 2 cans of that? also, I'm gonna use Cloves, Ginger, Nutmeg and Orange Peel, quantities I'm gonna go for 1/2 tsp each previously boiled in water.

All help appreciated. :chug:

I believe the deluxe have additional LME/UME? If that is true, you wouldn't need 2 cans, unless you were going for a larger beer, abv >5.5 or so.

Guest System Admin

Your amounts for ginger and nutmeg sound reasonable. I have never used clove or orange peel and thus can't say for sure what is appropriate. I am thinking the clove might bring a strong presence to the beer, and it might be better to use less, but that's just a guess.

In general, for a 2 gallon batch, with that many spices involved, it might be better to use a little bit less of each. 2 tsp of spices may, in total, make the flavor too "busy," but it depends on what your goal is. 2 tsp is certainly not unreasonable, but it might be the upper limit.

I would think something like the dark winter ale would be a better base, but that's your call. I will say to go *very* easy on the cloves. It does not take much to overpower the whole beer.

Cheers!

The American Lager is not available at the time so, I talked to the brewing support and they recommended canadian blonde with a smooth lme and the saaz hops.

They told me to add the species in the water and boil and leave in the wort. I think im gonna add the cloves in fermentation since Im interested more in the aroma than the flavor.

Anyways, how should i add the hops? boiled or dry hopping? I dont like my beers too bitter...

thanks for all the feedback

Most Mr.B recipies call for hops additions at flame out. It would an aroma addition at that point just short of dry hopping. Then just transfer to the lbk and leave it in for the entire fermentation.

So, I went the Canadian Blonde + Smooth UMH + Saaz Hops, the canadian blonde came with and pale UMH, and I'm wondering, should I add that too for an ABV a little higher?

About the cloves I'm thinking about adding it to the fermenter [in a muslin sack] since I'm going mostly for the aroma, would it work?

are you talking about the hops? or the other stuff?

if its the hops, i believe you are going to be fine adding the hops and sac to the fermentor, however i add that stuff about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks into fermentation. but that is just me :cheers:

Guest System Admin

if its the hops, i believe you are going to be fine adding the hops and sac to the fermentor, however i add that stuff about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks into fermentation

+1 to that, you need to let primary fermentation finish before your throw in your dry hops/spices.

I was talking about the Cloves but I'm going to do the same thing with the hops.

Question, how do I sterilize the cloves before adding to the fermenter? boiling?