Mr.Beer Community
Kealia

Stone Levitation Ale Clone recipe

Guys,

After having a Stone Levitation on my visit last week I decided that I needed to find a clone recipe for it. As luck would have it, Jamil did a CYBI (Can You Brew It) episode on this beer a while back so I gave it a listen and wrote down the recipe. I figured I'd share this with all y'all (Dave, did I get that right?) 'cuz this is a kick-ass amber.

Jamil actually chatted with Mitch from Stone about the recipe and he shared a lot of detail that helped them craft this one.

By their standards this is a 6-gallon batch assuming 70% efficiency.
90-minute boil.
Mash at 157.

The beer is 'only' 4.4% but I DARE anybody to try the real thing and say that it's lacking anything at all.

I hope to get to this in the coming weeks, but in the meantime, for your brewing pleasure:

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs 5.9 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.6 %
1 lbs 1.6 oz Crystal 75 (75.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.9 %
8.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
1.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4 0.5 %
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.40 %] - Boil 90. Hop 5 28.3 IBUs
1.02 oz Amarillo Gold [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 18.9 IBUs
1.16 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 8.5 IBUs
0.30 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 8.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35 Yeast 9 -
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

The original recipe they came up with called for C150 but Jamil and team used C120 because they couldn't get C150. They still called it "cloned" based on color, taste, etc.

Thanks for sharing, I've thought about trying to clone it...it is indeed an awesome beer that drinks way bigger than the gravity suggests.

Cheers!

I've decided that I *will* be brewing this one in the next two weeks. I have to run by my LHBS to pick up stuff for my collaboration brew so I'm going to grab grains for this while I am there, too.

Send me a finished bottle and I'll take you up on the dare. :lol:
I had two Saturday night and the second one got warm near the end and was much more bitter than I even like. I don't like beer cold but this one stood out.
I had no idea they used Amarillo and Simco in this.

"Beer-lord" post=287993 said:

Send me a finished bottle and I'll take you up on the dare. :lol:
I had two Saturday night and the second one got warm near the end and was much more bitter than I even like. I don't like beer cold but this one stood out.
I had no idea they used Amarillo and Simco in this.

Well played, sir!

That's interesting on the bitterness. Mine was served around 45-55 (totally guessing here) and it warmed up but I can't say it ever got 'warm'.

I now have the hops I need for this. Now I just need the grains and yeast (which is an easy stop at MoreBeer) and the time (which is much harder to come by unfortunately).

Thanks for sharing Kealia! I will be doing this clone in the next month or so. Keep us posted on how it turns out!

This is "a go" for tomorrow morning. I pulled out the turkey fryer and propane and have the deck ready to go first thing in the morning. It's the last warm weather I'll have before it starts raining for a few days and since I do my 5-gallon batches outside I figured I better take advantage.

Made my starter earlier so I have the WLP007 being whipped into a frenzy right now. It will get about 20 hours or so on the starter so I'll be pitching the whole starter - hopefully at high krausen.

Luckily for me my LHBS just got their WhiteLabs shipment in this morning so the yeast was uber-fresh. Like 5 days old fresh! Wow.

If I remember to I'll take some pics along the way tomorrow. Otherwise I'll provide updates along the way on this one.

For some reason Stone beers intimidate me. The one's I've made are good but no where near what Stones taste like.
I have a Levitation last night and have always like it but then again, I love anything Stone.
Keep us updated on this. I have everything to make it except Amarillo Gold, I just have Amarillo which I've never used so I don't know how it's any different than gold.

I love this beer, but I just can justify spending the $ to buy it all the time. It gets spendy when you can't help but drink 2-3 of them because of how sessionalbe they are.

So I want to know how this turns out. Brewing my own... that I can justify!

"Beer-lord" post=291324 said:

For some reason Stone beers intimidate me. The one's I've made are good but no where near what Stones taste like.
I have a Levitation last night and have always like it but then again, I love anything Stone.
Keep us updated on this. I have everything to make it except Amarillo Gold, I just have Amarillo which I've never used so I don't know how it's any different than gold.

Brew it up Man!

Amarillo is sometimes listed as Amarillo Gold, but it's the same hop... designated VGXP01 c.v.

:)

Rather than one VERY long post, I thought I'd break up the brew day into smaller bite-sized chunks to post here.

Starting easy: My 1L WLP007 starter on the stir plate for about 18 hours:
img20121020080648.jpg

Heating the water on the back deck with the turkey fryer set up:
img20121020080918.jpg

I'm currently mid-mash right now so more pics later as I progress (and remember to take pics).

I woke up earlier than planned this morning, so I got an early start.

After my 60 minute mash holding at 156 (1 degree lower than I was aiming for, but who can complain about that, right?), I pulled my grain bag and set up my BIAB 'drain/sparge'. This keeps me from having to hold 11lbs of grain + water weight while it drains and gives me the convenience of being able to sparge for a few extra points.

img20121020093902.jpg

Getting ready for the 90-minute boil with my brew buddy keeping a watchful eye:
img20121020095603.jpg

Columbus hops about to be tossed in for the 90-minute boil!

The last of the additions lined up and ready:
img20121020111036.jpg

A good rolling boil to drive off any DMS pre-cursors:
img20121020111042.jpg

And a good quick chill in the sink with the immersion chiller running:
img20121020114127.jpg

Dropping the temp to 65 so I can rack and pitch next.

Thanks for the play by play. It's nice to watch someone brew when your not (no room in the fridge/ferment chamber). I use the same ladder/dowel set up also, just not the basket, my BAIB bag has handles. Your right it works great.

Glad you enjoyed the vicarious brew day.

I had to leave in a hurry after pitching so here are the final pics:

The siphon to the ale pail:
img20121020130843.jpg

And the hydro sample:
img20121020131233.jpg

The color was the beautiful, dark ruby red that I recall Levitation having so I think it's spot on.

I ended up with better than 70% efficiency which is what the recipe was based on so I dilluted it just a tad to stay at the targeted 1.047. I ended up with 5 1/2 - 5 3/4 gallons when all was said and done which will likely net me about 5 spot on after the hops settle out in this one.

And, I had a little in the pot left over as a nod to the homies.

All is good. It's set to ferment around 68 only because I don't have room in my fridge to knock it down to 65 where I'd like it to be. I don't think it will make much difference so I'm now going to RDWHAHB.

Cheers!

That hydro sample looks nice; looks like you had a great brew day, thanks for posting the pics.

Almost 18 hours after pitching and no activity in the airlock yet, but I'm not worried. I hit it with just over a minute of pure O2 when I pitched so I know things will be fine. At this point I'm guessing that I have some krausen building up just not enough yet to push anything out of the airlock. Damn these pails for not being see through!!

One thing I realized (again) yesterday is that I need a new immersion chiller. Mine is a homemade job that works good for 3 gallons or under, but it struggles with 5 gallons. The diameter of the copper tubing just isn't enough to push enough cold water through to chill 5 gallons as quickly as I'd like.

Once I get a new one I'll see if anybody here is interested in my current one for cheap. I'll start a thread for that when the time comes.

The other thing I learned during the brewday is that I LOVE the smell of Simcoe hops. It's my first time using them and I really like them. I have some left over so I'll likely add them to some DME and the two cans of closeout BRA that I picked up when it's time to make another amber.

In any case, a great brew day and I'll update this thread in 2 weeks when I check gravity. It should finish around 1.014 to leave some residual sweetness to offset the hops. Time will tell.

So something interesting happened on this one. I put it in my Ale Pail to ferment and after 48 hours I still wasn't seeing any airlock activity. I'm the first to say that airlock activity does not equal fermentation (especially after the first 10 days or so) but I was curious as to why I didn't see ANYTHING at all.

This morning before work I started thinking that maybe I didn't get a good seal on the lid so maybe CO2 was leaking that way. Nope. I finally decided to crack the lid to check for krausen/activity and when I did there was a definite release of pressure. Odd. Somehow the fermentation had created some type of vacuum or reverse pressure because once I did that and resealed it the airlock started blowing pretty quickly.

Now, a few hours later my wife is texting me telling me that she can hear it hissing.....nice.

Not sure what happened, but thought it was very odd.

Don't you just love the smell of it as it's blowing thru the airlock?
My cat stares near the fermenter trying to figure out what that noise is.

I do....almost as much as I like watching the activity through the carboy but since this one is in a pail I'll have to settle for smells and sounds without the sights. :chug:

This appears to have been working very quickly. After the 'issue' with the lid was fixed it bubbled very well for 24 hours and then died down quickly. It's going slowly today and I can already see through the bucket that the krausen has fallen.

Not a big deal, just another beer that doesn't play by the rules I suppose ;)

I won't touch it again until Saturday when I dry hop 1.5oz of Amarillo for 7 days as per the recipe. I'll check gravity at that point and I fully expect it to be done by then - or not. :P

So...I came down with the flu this past weekend and am just now getting back on my feet (literally). I won't check the gravity until this weekend when I will (now) dry hop so this will spend a total of 3 weeks in the pail.

That should give it plenty of time to finish out, settle a bit and let the complex flavors get a jump start on blending. I'll update on my gravity reading this weekend when I dry hop.

Glad you made it out of 'toilet hell'. Hope that doesn't come my way.
I usually ferment 3 weeks with a dry hop the last week but never check my gravity until it's time to keg/bottle. Always works out fine.

Tossed in 1.5oz of Amarillo this morning and did a gravity check: 1.018.

Not as low as I was hoping for but I'm not familiar with WLP007 so maybe it's just a slow worker. I tried swirling the pail to try and get the yeast roused a bit so we'll see what happens in another week with the dry hop going.

It's supposed to finish at 1.014 so I'd like to see a few more points drop out in the next 7 days. As it stands, I think *ever* amber I've ever done has under-attenuated.

Time will tell.

Kegged today and I will let it sit for 2 weeks at room temp to really meld the flavors together. It's not a big beer, but it has a lot of flavor so I think it will do it some good.

The Christmas party that I brewed this for won't be until mid-December so I have plenty of time to condition it (both warm and cold).

Updating to reflect the correct FG: 1.012. My hydrometer went bad at some point between the brew day and when I checked for my FG. Used a new one and 1.012 is where I landed. It's been on CO2 for a few days now so I'm getting closer to actually drinking this.

Thanks for the update. Let us know how it tastes. I'll be making this one soon.

My buddy bought a sixer of Levitation and saved my a bottle so we can do a side-by-side. That should be fun!

I found a Stone IPA kit I hope to brew this weekend. If it is anywhere near the real Stone IPA, I will be stoked.

I would not mind trying this recipe either. I liked the Stone Levitation when I tried it. I am finishing up my Autumn Amber Ale now.

"Awesome Ale Brewery" post=302231 said:

I found a Stone IPA kit I hope to brew this weekend. If it is anywhere near the real Stone IPA, I will be stoked.

I would not mind trying this recipe either. I liked the Stone Levitation when I tried it. I am finishing up my Autumn Amber Ale now.

Let me know how it works out. I've brewed 2 clones that were very good beers, but in no way were they near Stone. If it works, I'd love it if you share the recipe.

Been crazy busy lately but here's the short update: It's a damn good recipe!

I have a bottle of Levitation at home right now and tonight I hope to do a side-by-side and post results.

Please see my post above.
Going to try this one shortly. I have some 007 in the fridge now.

The long anticipated review (by at least 1 hairless cat anyway):

I was lucky enough to get a bottle of Levitation from a friend so I could do a side-by-side test. I poured mine carefully first, then the Levitation. I poured slowly not worrying about generating a head. What I saw was that my clone is spot on in terms of color.

levitationl.jpg

The Levitation is a bit clearer, but this was one of my first pints from the keg and I expect it get to even clearer than it already is. If I really want the clarity to be there next time I'll use gelatin.

On the nose, the Levitation has a bigger presence. I'd say that they are extremely close or identical in terms of HOW they smell but mine isn't as strong. Weird, because the recipe uses a fair amount of dry hops but that is easy to bump up next time around.

Taste - great malt backbone and the hop flavor definitely comes through on both. Nice little hop taste on the tongue when it finishes. Not bitter like an IPA, but definitely there. The original is a tad crisper but I know I slightly under-attenuated on this beer and I'd bet that a better attenuation would make it spot on. As-is, I'm calling it 90% the same. Mine has a HINT of sweetness that the original doesn't due to the attenuation coming up a few points short.

Bottom line: Side by side this is 90% cloned if not more. I was really particular in picking out the differences but I'd be willing to bet that without a side by side comparison most of us wouldn't know it wasn't the real thing.

Next time I'll add more dry hops and hope for better attenuation but if it came out exactly the same as it did this time I would be very happy. AND, it's a 4.4% beer so I can drink plenty of it. That's good because I brewed it for an office party that never happened so I have 5 gallons of it now. Woot!

If anybody is *thinking* about brewing this. I say emphatically: DO IT.

P.S. Mine had better lacing! :P

emptyv.jpg

Nice Job Kealia, I brewed this clone and just started cold crashing it today. Going to pig it in a few days. I couldn't fined any Crystal hops so I had to use palisade hops.

Did you use the recipe that I posted or a different one?

I opted to keep the pig out of my version. I just couldn't decide if I wanted to toss it in the boil, dry hop with it, etc. ;)

Great job Kealia! Thanks for all the updates. I have have the recipe in the OP loaded in BeerSmith ready to go. I think it will be next.

"Kealia" post=307592 said:

Did you use the recipe that I posted or a different one?

I opted to keep the pig out of my version. I just couldn't decide if I wanted to toss it in the boil, dry hop with it, etc. ;)

It's a little different....same grain bill, but the hop additions were a little different. I'm at work so I don't have access to my BS software. I also used Wyeast 1098, going to keg/pig it tomorrow so I'll get a taste of it then.

Couldn't wait, pigged it :laugh: :laugh: when I got home from work, looked and smelled great, taste was plenty of hop flavor, malt taste and mouth feel was a little thin, but then again it's a 4.3% brew and it's been a little while since I had one of those. This one should only take about 2-3 weeks carb.

Brewed my Stone IPA clone today....recipe said a SG of 1.061....I got 1.040 :unsure: Smells good and I love the hop smell it puts off. If this is 75% close to the real Stone IPA and be like 4% I will be happy. Now to wait a week to dry hop the last oz of hops.

"Awesome Ale Brewery" post=311894 said:

Brewed my Stone IPA clone today....recipe said a SG of 1.061....I got 1.040 :unsure: Smells good and I love the hop smell it puts off. If this is 75% close to the real Stone IPA and be like 4% I will be happy. Now to wait a week to dry hop the last oz of hops.

what kind of "process" did you use and why did you only get 40/61?

Mashani - did you (or anybody else) make this yet? The more I drink, the more I like it. And at ~4.4% it's easy to drink quite a few to be sure ;)

I'm going to bottle off a six-pack or two this weekend from the fiver to give to friends and co-workers.

It's really a GREAT beer. And I say that not bragging since it's not MY recipe.

Thanks for starting this thread and keeping it updated Kealia. I've been wanting to brew a nice session beer for some time. This one looks like a real winner. :charlie:

I have 2 Oktoberfest batches that I have to brew to be ready for my stepdaughters wedding. I have the first one going and the next will go on to it's yeast cake.
So I'm hoping in about 5-6 weeks to brew the Levitation.
I have a recipe for Stones Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale and will probably brew it after and pitch it on the Levitation yeast cake.

I'd love to see what you have for the Self-Righteous Ale. I've seen a few and they are not as close as I would have expected to each other.
Most are close to this:
90% Pale Ale Malt
5% Crystal 60L
5% Carafa Special III

(2-3 oz) Chinook at 60 min to target 100 IBU (calculated)
2 oz Amarillo at whirlpool*
2 oz Simcoe at whirlpool*
2 oz Amarillo dry hop 5 days
2 oz Simcoe dry hop 5 days

WLP007

I got the recipe from Mitch Steeles IPA book. I'll look at it when I get home.

"yankeedag" post=311904 said:

"Awesome Ale Brewery" post=311894 said:

what kind of "process" did you use and why did you only get 40/61?

It was an extract with speciality grains receipe I found from HomeBrewStuff. it used 6 lbs of Light LME along with the grains.

I tied off the muslin sac kinda tight on the grains.....I am wondering now if I need to tie it off loosely so the grains can move around. I also tied my hops for the hop boils off tight.

Not sure if that made a difference or not. The airlock has been bubbling for over 2 days now, so the yeast is hard at work.

I'r dry hopping the last ounce of hops on Monday.

No worries, my friend just got the book and I'm next to read it when he's done. I believe one of the recipes I have is from him anyway.
I guess Stone doesn't mind him sharing it anyway.

My first pour of my clone of Stone Levitation ale

- Boil 90. Hop 7 33.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 6.2 IBUs

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.25 oz Palisade [7.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

---FERM PROCESS-----------------------------
Primary Start: 12/1/2012 - 21.00 Days at 65.0 F
Bottling Date: 12/22/2012 with 2.3 Volumes CO2:
---NOTES------------------------------------
Water vols......
OG 1.047, FG 1.014
pre-boil gravity 1.033, OG - 1.047
Hit mash in temp of 157, was 154 after 60min, Mash out temp was 164.
Hit start boil vol, but ended with a little over vol into fermentor, 2.65 est. This may be why I was a few pionts off on my OG.
Still good though, Stone Levitation is 1.044, and I came in at 1.047.

Dry hopped on 12/16 with 1/2 oz of amarillo hops.

Pigged on 12/22/12, FG 1.014

Nice color. I Love the ruby color of this brew.

Mine has lost a bit of it's aroma but it's been 2 months so that's understandable. Next time I will be increasing the dry hop for sure.

I'm going to get a few independent reviews of this beer...

Bringing this back to page one to say I've got a 2L starter of 007 going. Brewing it this coming weekend and plan on decanting as I used 3 different DMEs to make the starter, finished off some open bags.
I can't wait to get this one brewed.

Every time I pull a pint I think that I am going to blow the keg but it hasn't happened yet.

I also think that the beer is going to be 'less good' than the previous pint but that hasn't happened yet either!

:stout:

Last pour, and wish I'd brewed more.

[attachment=10861]IMG_20130202_2011091.jpg[/attachment]
Only issue I had was with the over carbonation, I used than same amount of priming sugar as usual, only thing I can think is the hi mash temp (157) and maybe leaving more unfermentable sugars? Definitely will brew this again.

Drinking this right now. That's some simcoe goodness right there. Well done, Kealia...

"bucknut" post=330731 said:

Last pour, and wish I'd brewed more.

[attachment=10861]IMG_20130202_2011091.jpg[/attachment]

Nice glass bucknut, I have the same one. I'll let you know when mine is ready and you are more than welcome to come by and fill it up.
You're less than an hour away(well depending on traffic). :laugh:

Damn, that is a nice glass :woohoo:

I also want this one from Heretic:

heretica.jpg

Yeah, I know it's a Pliny bottle and a Heretic glass, but it's a pretty glass!

Damn you and your Pliny :angry: . The ONLY way I'm going to get one here in Georgia is to brew it. It's on deck, I wonder if I could pitch it on the Levitation yeast cake.......Hummmmmm

I got my glass from here http://www.kegworks.com/stone-brewing-company-imperial-pint-glass-1002-p173546

It looks like this when filled

[attachment=10895]P10106902.JPG[/attachment]

Nice lighting job on your picture, by the way.

I should have been clear - that's not my pic. It was from a friend on FB. I stole it because I covet his glass.

But yeah, it was nice lighting. :chug:

Note to self, recheck everything before starting. If not you will be 45 minutes into the mash before you realize BeerSmith is set for Light Body BIAB and you are mashing at 149 instead of 157.

Oh well, just going to roll with it and make beer. Plus I'm using Warrior instead of Columbus and Hallertauer for Crystal because I had some open packs to finish up.
I'll follow up as the day goes on.

Here it is
[attachment=11034]StoneLevitation.jpg[/attachment]

came in at 1.048 at 5.5 gallons. Added about .30 gallons of water to bring it to an estimated 1.046.
1 minute of O2 and pitched a 1800mL decanted starter of WLP007 at 5pm at 65*
Will update along the way.

"Inkleg" post=333510 said:

Note to self, recheck everything before starting. If not you will be 45 minutes into the mash before you realize BeerSmith is set for Light Body BIAB and you are mashing at 149 instead of 157.

Oh well, just going to roll with it and make beer. Plus I'm using Warrior instead of Columbus and Hallertauer for Crystal because I had some open packs to finish up.
I'll follow up as the day goes on.

Should still end up being a solid beer, keep us posted. Also thanks for the heads up, I'm brewing tomorrow morning and your post reminded me to go over my recipe in BS.

If you ever want to get some Pliny, I can give the info on the place in Cali that I order from, and oh yea it ain't cheap, but I only get a couple times a year.

I can finally say that this keg has kicked. :(

It seemed like a never-ending keg, which is by no means a bad thing. I bottled a lot of this one, shared with people that came over, sent a few away to friends and family and still couldn't believe how long it lasted.

I can honestly say that I loved every pint, though!

Here's to hoping Inkleg is as happy with his! :gulp:

Sorry for your loss, Kealia!

It sounds, though, like it had a good life and filled you with much joy. Remember the good times you had together and one day, may you be reunited (assuming you have this in your brew day schedule sometime soon!). :cheers:

I've not made this (yet) but this is one of the best, sessiony, hoppy and easy to go down beers around. I love almost everything I've ever had from Stone.

"Kealia" post=338612 said:

I can finally say that this keg has kicked. :( I can honestly say that I loved every pint, though!

Here's to hoping Inkleg is as happy with his! :gulp:

I am truly sorry for your loss. Even though we know it is coming, it's never easy.
Swing back through town in a few weeks ;)

I will be moving mine to a secondary and dry hopping this weekend. Normally don't secondary, but I want to use the yeast cake for a Simcoe IIPA. I'll post back with FG and taste later.

Transfered to the secondary today and added 2oz Amarillo for the dry hop. The recipe called for 1.5, but the other .5 seemed sad and lonely so I threw it in also.
OG 1.046, FG at this time 1.010 so pretty good at 4.7%.
What a smooth easy drinking hydro sample that was. I don't see this lasting long once it's ready.

Especially once I get there to help.

And really, what's a little .5/oz of Amarillo between friends, right? ;)

Sorry it's taken so long. Life is what happens when you want to be brewing and posting.

Color, pretty spot on.
Taste and smell, pretty spot on. Mine a little more hop nose and taste from the 2oz dry hop. Stone just maybe just a more caramel on the finish.

Kealia and Bucknut come on over. Ok, and any other Borg member that's passing by.

[attachment=12465]levitation2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12466]levitation3.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12467]levitation.jpg[/attachment]

Mines on the left.

"Inkleg" post=357645 said:

Sorry it's taken so long. Life is what happens when you want to be brewing and posting.

Color, pretty spot on.
Taste and smell, pretty spot on. Mine a little more hop nose and taste from the 2oz dry hop. Stone just maybe just a more caramel on the finish.

Kealia and Bucknut come on over. Ok, and any other Borg member that's passing by.

[attachment=12465]levitation2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12466]levitation3.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12467]levitation.jpg[/attachment]

Mines on the left.

Yours actual looks better, better head, color is spot on, glad it turned out for ya. Mine is just a memory now and not sure if I'll take another shot at it, been thinking about trying a clone of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale.

Dammit. Now I want to brew this again. :angry:

I think I've just been Inkleg'd!!

I just re-read the entire thread and now I gotta brew this. Hopefully, later this month.
Great job guys. Thanks for the detailed info. This almost looks like the uber-secret black ipa! :evil:

*bump*

I'm brewing this one again this weekend so I thought I'd bump this thread for anybody else interested in this recipe (see the OP for the one I'm using).

Its not nice to tease Ron. :P
I was planning on doing this before summer let out but other, also wonderful recipes got in my way so when I get over the speed bumps, I'll definitely do this one.

I have good friends. A few came over last night and helped me 'clean' out my mini fridge of bottles to make room for this one to ferment inside so I can control the temp. The sacrifice they made brings a tear to my eye *sniff*.

With any luck, I'll be brewing this on Sunday. :woohoo:

I often have 'open taps' on Sunday afternoons for friends to help reduce my surplus. Last week was one example. They are eager and follow orders well.
They even tell me which of my beers I should make next.

"Beer-lord" post=389185 said:

I often have 'open taps' on Sunday afternoons for friends to help reduce my surplus. Last week was one example. They are eager and follow orders well.
They even tell me which of my beers I should make next.

Ya know I have friends like that also, but they want me to mail them beers.
I mean, the nerve of some people. :laugh:

Poured this Levitation last night, it was brewed 2-9-13 and is still very good. The hop nose has diminished, but you can still smell Amarillo in the glass. There is about a 6 pack left in the keg and it will be the next to kick to make room for the Pliny.
I plan on brewing this again in two weeks because you just should have this available to drink whenever possible. :chug:

[attachment=14366]levitation5.jpg[/attachment]
Did not plan on this glass, but some times the stars are in alignment

"Inkleg" post=389218 said:

Ya know I have friends like that also, but they want me to mail them beers.
I mean, the nerve of some people. :laugh:

People these days....Unbeleivable!

There is about a 6 pack left in the keg and it will be the next to kick to make room for the Pliny.
I plan on brewing this again in two weeks because you just should have this available to drink whenever possible. :chug:

Did not plan on this glass, but some times the stars are in alignment

1) That's a nice beer to make room for in my opinion.

2) Couldn't agree more on having this always on hand.

3) Clearly, you were MEANT to have a pint of that!

There is about a 6 pack nothing left in the keg and it will be the next to kick kicked to make room for the Pliny.

It kicked tonight and it was a friend to the end. There will be songs sung of its glorious life and the smiles it brought to all.
Wait, I think there is a bottle left in the conditioning room. :banana:

"Kealia" post=389560 said:

I call dibs!!!

Ok, that made me go look and yes there is one left. Ron PM your address and it's yours.
I also have
Belas IPA (I can bottle one of these from the keg)
Conans Porter
Da Yoppers Pale Ale (this is on the gas and haven't had one yet myself, have 6 in bottles)
Simcoe Almost IIPA
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Centennial Blonde
Big Fuzzys Double Chocolate Coffee Stout
and Stone Vertical Epic 09-09-09
Please pick one or two others. Cause if I'm sending one I might as well send others.
PS, this offer also includes some naked cat fridge magnets.

After seeing you in front of your house it's as if I'm right there with you. :laugh:
Glad your brew day is being enjoyed.

I planned ahead for this next weekend and have a WLP007 starter going now. I think I'll transfer my Levitation to a secondary for the dry hop and put a Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale on the yeast cake.

Did you mash at the 157°?

Last time I was right at 156 and this time I was about 155 - so definitely higher than I normally mash. but it worked out well last time so I went with it again. The only change I am making from the last time around is dry-hopping with a bit more Amarillo and adding some Simcoe as well.

When I did a side-by-side the Stone just had more aroma than mine did so I'm kicking it up a notch.

Pitched 2 vials of WLP007 @ 62 degrees and I'll let it free rise to ~66 while I'm gone for the next few days.

I love the color of this beer. I'm anxious to get it on tap again and send a few bottles out!

m64a.jpg

Ron, why 2 vials? It's a low OG and one should be enough.
I'm thinking I'll do extra dry hopping as well. This beer in now way tastes like 4.5% ABV. I give Stone heavy props for this one and am looking forward to getting this done in the next few weeks.

Ah, good question. The vials were a bit older than I would have liked so the viability was low. As it stands, the recommended pitch rate was ~180B cells. Even 1 super-fresh vial is only about 100B so it turns out I still under-pitched a bit.

I'm not worried about it, but I've spent the last year and a half or so really focused on yeast pitch rates, aeration and temp control so I really wanted to be spot on. I didn't have time to do a starter or I would have. Oh well, I bet I end up with beer anyway! :chug:

Gotcha! I've got some old washed yeast I'm going to have to trash soon. I've only spent $15 on yeast the last 9 months so I'm very happy with that.

So, after being gone for the last 4 days and talking to my wife nightly ("what's the temp strip say? " how much activity is there is the blowoff?" I'll be checking the gravity today/tomorrow.

The blowoff tube stopped yesterday and the airlock I put on last night hasn't moved much, if any. I don't doubt there's a bit of cleanup to do but I'll likely start the dry hop so I can add Simcoe now, then some Amarillo on Tuesday or so with the goal of adding gelatin next Friday and kegging next Sunday.

I have my starter in the fridge and hoping to brew mine this weekend.

I kegged the Pliny Wednesday and since I had cold crashed it just put it in the keezer on the gas.

Ron, I'll get a care package out to you in a few weeks when it's carbed along with the Levitation.

Mash has been steady at 154° for the last 15 minutes, pulled and decanted the starter, all systems are go.

Well except for this place. I hope it gets better.