Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
skyler.erp

need help with a new brew

Im lookin to brew a dark chocalte oatmeal stout, not sure if its possible but i would like to try, right now im also thinkin of doin a german weizinbock and like to plan for the next one so i can get the stuff i need. any help?????

If it's all grain I can give you a oatmeal stout recipe I did recently! Sipping on it now and it's a little more coffee than chocolate, but it could be a jumping off point!

Ummm yea, like Teutonic said, if you can let us know if you want to do extract, partial mash or All Grain I'm sure I could help you out, but without knowing what it's hard to help.

First things first - what type of batch are you looking to make? All Mr. Beer products? Extract + steep? All grain?

i have never done an all grain, i was kinda thinkin doin an extract with the extra grains i would need. ive never done mash as well. i think a coffe one would be tatsy, and im lookin at 5 gallons, and prob get the stuff from my LHBS and he dont carry Mr. Beer

"skyler.erp" post=287789 said:

i have never done an all grain, i was kinda thinkin doin an extract with the extra grains i would need. ive never done mash as well. i think a coffe one would be tatsy, and im lookin at 5 gallons, and prob get the stuff from my LHBS and he dont carry Mr. Beer

So it sounds like you want to use plain LME or DME from LHBS instead of a HME refill, and then add your own specialty grains and hops. Is that right? Or did you want to start with a HME Stout and just chocolate and oatmeal it up?

joe if its ok to call ya that? im on the fence on that and thats why i havent bought anythn yet. i would prob have to see if my LHBS carrys stout extract, if not plain would work i suppose lol

"skyler.erp" post=287827 said:

joe if its ok to call ya that? im on the fence on that and thats why i havent bought anythn yet. i would prob have to see if my LHBS carrys stout extract, if not plain would work i suppose lol

Yep, Joe works for me. Well, sounds like the first thing we need to do is help you figure out what approach you want to take so then we can hook you up with a recipe. I'll have to get back with you after I leave work, or sometime this weekend, but I'm sure others will offer help even before then. We'll all get you on track together.

I have a chocolate oatmeal stout fermenting right now, from the collaboration project, and I'm super excited to see how it tastes. It's my first ever all grain.

hopefully it turns out great, if so wanna send a glass my way? but if it does turn out great let me know and we'll go from there.

"skyler.erp" post=287836 said:

hopefully it turns out great, if so wanna send a glass my way? but if it does turn out great let me know and we'll go from there.

Mine's got another week to go in LBK and at least a few more weeks in bottles before I can sample it. But I'm sure I'll be talking about it once I taste it. It's an all grain. Are you thinking of trying an all grain? Whatever method you decide works best for you, from all extract, to all grain, or anywhere in between, there's plenty of folks here to help you. I wouldn't be where I am today in my brewing if it was't for this Borg.

+1 to what Pete Rose said.
It's probably the easiest way to get your feet wet with partial mash and steeping. The instructions are pretty thorough too.
It'll also give you an idea of what you might be looking to accomplish as far as flavor and texture go too!
Good luck with whatever you decide and don't be afraid to ask!
Cheers!

thanks for the input guys, i think ill go with a partial mash and steep my grains, now i know someone put a site up for a recipe, but i like choices, anyone have a recipe they could share with me???

Skyler,

I think your idea to go with a partial mash is a good choice right now. You mention partial mash and steep, but I think you'll want to simply combine those into one instead. Just mash all of your grains at once, no need for a separate steep. I did partial mash and partial extract for awhile, and really liked it a lot. Just did my first all grain, and I think that's the way to go in the end. But the partial mash is really a good way to get more comfortable with the process while still having a little safety net and not needing such a large brew pot right away. It's really not so bad that you couldn't go straight to it without doing partials first, but I liked the gradual movement away from my comfort zone. Everyone's different. It sure can't hurt to do a partial first.

BTW, I have to agree, that first recipe from FrozenInTime looks really good.

i agree, the first one did sound pretty good, thanks a tons guys, now ive never done a mash or anything so when i get the ingredints i will be back on to kinda figure this out.

Sklyer~

Go to hopville.com

Go to the search bar (usually in the top right)

Type in whatever you want -- either ingredient, keyword, style or whatever

For example, you want a Dark Chocolate Stout

You can type in Dark Chocolate and it comes up with...I comes up with 170 pages of recipes.

You can type in Stout and get 344 pages of stouts.

You can even Type in Dark Chocolate and then click the button for Extract + Specialty Grain and come up with 53 pages

==============

Have a field day