Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
KokomoSam

Oak Chips Packaged for Wine?

I was at my LHBS (also a wine making shop, which will become important later) and saw a bag of oak chips for a couple of bucks. I have an IPA in the LBK and I had tried some oaked IPA recently and loved it... so without looking to carefully I decided to grab them as I was checking out.

Once I got them home I realized that they were packaged for wine and had some instructions about soaking in a half sulfate solution. :ohmy:

See picture below....
2012-09-2911-26-36955-L.jpg

Is this safe to use for Beer? Do I need to soak in a half sulfate solution? Should I not be allowed to make impulse buys at my LHBS? Should I go back and look for a different kind of oak chips?

As a bonus question, for wine making why do they need to be soaked in a half sulfate solution?

Thanks

Sam

I would soak in some of your favorite bourbon for a couple weeks, remove, dry, and use. Impulse buying... men don't do that, do we?

For an IPA, I would boil about half the chips for 10 minutes, then add after primary fermentation for a week or two as a start and see if you like the results. If you plan to secondary you can use less chips/more time.

Definitely agree with FIT - I love bourbon barrel beers and have made a number of them, though I don't think it goes with an IPA. Save that for a stout, dark Belgian, porter, strong ale, etc. FWIW, I have a container of oak cubes soaking in bourbon at all times so I always have some on hand. They've usually soaked for several months between uses.

I believe the sulfite solution is being used as a sanitizer.

Cheers!

"FrozenInTime" post=287912 said:

Impulse buying... men don't do that, do we?

Nope. Never. :whistle:

Guest System Admin

BeerSoaked and I are doing a Scotch Wee Heavy with Oak chips, just need to get making it soon.

Bummer is BeerSoaked has dropped off radar and not returning emails now

"KokomoSam" post=287894 said:

As a bonus question, for wine making why do they need to be soaked in a half sulfate solution?Sam

Not exactly sure on this. I've made a couple of batches of red wine, all that have been oaked. I've never soaked in sulfate (potassium metabisulfite). I just dropped them into the carboy and let 'em sit for 3 months!.

I've got 4oz of Heavy Toasted French Oak... Pretty heavily toasted by the looks of it...

I usualy use light or medium toasted oak...

Anyway, half is destined for 5 gallons of Cabernet and the other half for my next IPA.

In the past, I have boiled water, then at flame out, tossed them in for 15 minutes to steralize.

Will do that again for the Cab, but I think I want to whisky soak the half that the IPA will get.

:)

Sulfite is used to stop fermentation. Since wine is still, it ensures fermentation won't start back up once bottled.