Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
T-Money

hopville

Have any of you guys checked out hopville.com? Its a brewing calculator website, and its pretty neat. All your recipes are shared and you can paste links in the forum to go to your recipe. The (old) Mr. Beer HME's are in the data base as well. Anyways, its pretty cool check it out.

P.S.- I am not affiliated with this site, just thinks its cool.

Guest System Admin

Not liking the new format they did about 3 weeks ago, not as user friendly for me

Yes, I've used it for quite some time, and I know others here use it as well. Like Trollby said they recently overhauled it, and now that I've gotten used to the new format I like it and like the additional functionality they've added.

"Trollby" post=288125 said:

Not liking the new format they did about 3 weeks ago, not as user friendly for me

I agree...you can't just search through the types of malt, hops, etc. You have to know exactly what your going to use since you have to type in the first couple of characters for it to bring up the items. A drop down menu would be nice. Makes it hard to just change a recipe with something to see what it does to the numbers.

"Beer-lord" post=288140 said:

I was sent a link this morning to a new online recipe builder that I've not even taken the time to look at much.
If interested, check it out here.

I created an account and entered a recipe that I had already done to compare the numbers. First off, it's pretty user friendly and has a lot of option it seems like.

A couple of things I noticed first off:
1. Not sure if it lets you use steeping as an option for the grains. When you add a grain, the drop down menu is for mash or boil...maybe the boil is the same thing as a steep???
2. The gravity numbers seem way off. The recipe that I entered has an OG of 1.065 and and FG of 1.017 according to Hopville, this software came in at an OG of 1.051 and FG of 1.006. That final gravity seems impossible to me. Not sure why the numbers are so different.
3. The brew day screen is pretty cool. Tells you exactly what and when to do things with a timer.

This seems like a great program if you have a tablet or smart phone (I have neither), so you can access it as you are brewing.

I think I'll have to play with it some more!

Guest System Admin

I've not ben using Hopville BrewCalc since they revamped it.

I like QBrew better now.