Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ridefast91

2nd Batch

Hello all;

I am just getting into this new hobby and my second batch is almost ready for bottling. I had a couple of questions.

1. My first batch after fermenting 2 weeks and sitting in the bottle for a little over 1 week tasted like apple cider. I am inclined to think this is due to the amount of table sugar added to the bottle during bottling?

2. My second batch will have fermented for 2 weeks in the LBK before I bottle this time. I am thinking of using 1.5 TSP of sugar this time for bottling, what are your suggestions on this? I am using the standard 1 liter PET bottles if this help.

Anyways thank you in advance :)

Cheers,

Ridefast

Welcome! :chug:

A little more info on what you brewed, please. Were these HME+booster recipes? The little bit of sugar added for priming should not impact flavor. That being said, cutting back on the priming amount is fine...the MB guidelines for priming are on the high side.

Anyway, without having anything to go by I'd guess the cidery flavor is a combination of adjuncts (non-malt ingredients...i.e. sugar or booster) and too little time. Wait a few weeks before the next sample and the flavor should be much improved.

EDIT: If you haven't already, I'd recommend reading this and this.

First, its helpful if you can tell us what recipe you've made.
But, 1 week in the bottle is not enough time to really get your beer ready. Cider taste can be a sign of infection but it's likely just way too young. Let it carb another 2 weeks and try again. Some beers need even more time.

Also, if you can substitute a pound of dry malt extract for booster, you'll get a better beer.....more body.

I've found that Mr. Beer's suggestion for carbing to be too much. You might find Screwy's information on bottle priming helpful.

First thank you for the welcome :) I hope I can get the hang of this hobby and enjoy it.

The first batch I made was the WC Pale Ale that came with the kit. I added 1 bag of booster per the recipe and when bottling I added 2.5 TSP of sugar per the chart. All of my supplies were sanitized prior to use.

The second batch is the Winter Dark Ale ( currently fermenting ) with LME.

Thank you,

Ridefast

All is well. Patience will be your friend. I would wait a minimum of 3 weeks in the bottle at room temp before sampling. After 3 weeks at room temp, pop one in the fridge for a few days, then sample. If it still tastes cidery, wait longer. I know it isn't fun to wait that long, but your tastebuds will thank you. My first batch (Cowboy Golden Lager) was best after about 8-10 weeks in the bottle if I recall correctly (YMMV).

Welcome to the Borg and good luck!!

:chug:

My 1st batch was WCPA. I too, got a apple cider taste when I 1st tasted mine. I did the 2-2-2 method and tasted my 1st "done" beer Saturday night. To me, it was overcarbonated and thin. The booster kills the body. The apple cider taste has conditioned out all except for a hint of it at the end. It will get better with age.

As far as priming sugar, I would go with less on your 2nd batch. My problem is I brewed my 9th and 10th batches Saturday. So I followed Mr. Beer's recommended amount of sugar for priming batches 1 through 8. I am scared they will all be overcarbonated.

Thank you everyone for the sound advice. I was beginning to think I did something wrong. For my 2nd batch I will likely end up going with 1.5 TSP of sugar for bottling.

Guest System Admin

My first batch (Cowboy Golden Lager) was best after about 8-10 weeks in the bottle if I recall correctly.

Mine too. Same brew - had to wait it out.

"Awesome Ale Brewery" post=288152 said:

The booster kills the body.

Not really it was actually made to help with body.
Over carbonation will give your beer a thin cidery taste.

I learned something new today.....Thanks!

I kinda hate I went crazy and was brewing 4 batches at a time without waiting out my 1st batch. I am afraid I am going to have 3 batches of overcarbonated beer.

When i had a problem with primiming alot of the people on here helpmed me out, however i think its all on you and the way you want to do it. What i did and my bottles came out perfect, was add 1 ounce of priming sugar (dextrose) to every one gallon of liquid, hence two galloons, 2 ounces, once again its all in the way you prefer but thats my two cents. If you go my route add the dextrose to the beer while in the keg, or secondary abot 2 minutes before you bottle, that way it takes the pain out of pouring sugar in all your bottles. :cheers: