Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

And the winners are.....

Awesome - I made the top SIX.

Thanks MrB CEO!!

I would be remiss if I did not mention that I owe thanks to all of the big hitters on this site - all of the Ninkasi, the Uber Brewers and the One and only NONG.

I started brewing with MrB in May and if it were not for this forum, I would not posses the knowledge I have today regarding small batch extract brewing (and even exploring going to partial mash and maybe even AG eventually).

Mike,

Just wanted to say that the contest was great! Unfortunately I was on vacation and told to stay away from the computer so I didn't see it until it was over. You are sooo generous and good to us all! I don't think anyone was expecting you to award all those prizes!!! Once again the Mr Beer brand has impressed me beyond belief and has solidified the reason why I'm a customer for life!!!

Thanks,
Steve

I'm also happy to have participated. I enjoyed working on my spreadsheet, as have all the other contestants.

If you've got the two minutes, go vote fellow forum users.

Agreed with the others... Thanks to MrBCEO and the other Mr. B staff for hosting this contest. It was a great deal of fun, win or lose. If I happen to be so lucky to win, I will put the supplies to good use. If I don't, then I'm sure the winner will do the same.

And it appears you were generous with all of the contestants (giving recipes and extracts, etc. to all participants), so kudos to you all...

Yes, thanks for the opportunity and the reaching out to the Borg. Good luck to the top 6, very solid answers all around.

I agree!

A big thanks to MR Beer for adding yet another personal touch to what might easily be just another corporate media portal... Well Done!

A fun and informative contest, one that improved my math skills just watching other Borg crunch the numbers!

Awesome!

And kudos to Mike and his team for considering the range of creativity shown by the participants... ( yes, brown nosing it was but I never expected to be in the running for anything... So thanks for the consideration and I will happily chose a recipe that I have not tried before to continue the learning experience! )

And most of all, congrats to ALL who participated and best of luck to the finalists!

I, for one, can't wait to see what the concensus is on the total!

:cheers: :)

I did not know about this contest and want to file a protest since I did not hear about this. If this protest is denied then I will have to go scratch my namesake and drink my namesake!!!

[attachment=9043]harry.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9042]Bawlsbeer.jpg[/attachment]

I'll add my thanks as well! Great contest that really got the creativity flowing. Thanks for the consolation prize!! Congrats to all the finalists!!!

Tis the voting season so head on over to the voting thread. As they say in Chicago, "Vote Early, Vote Often!"

Gee...wow! I'm one of the Final Six™? I'm flattered! It's exceedingly cool to see how generous Mr.Beer is and to have such a geeky, quirky contest. I hadn't seen Swenocha's entry until today, and wow...that needs to win! I'm just here for the beer... :cheer:

This was drfinitely fun and interesting. I really enjoyed reading all the creative ideas. I need to go back and read them all again. I just kinda let them all soak in together the first time through.

some of us have "GREAT" brains and imaginations and that is really great
for me however a half dozen strokes + the ol brain isn't what it used to be

oh well.......go Swenocha :banana:

As an entrant I didn't personally agree with many of the self imposed limitations of most of the other contestants: must use only basic Mr beer techniques, requiring at least one hme, things like that. However, the entrants had a lot of creativity, sound math, were well defended, passionate and respectful, final six are well deserving. Looks like a close race and rightly so.
:chug: :charlie:

Down with powerpoint! LOL.

This was fun regardless. Note that the total Mr. Beer CEO used from my thread is the big one if I counted the new fruit that Mr. Beer added and the new hops that were also added that JoeC dug up. My "standard" total basically should match Swenocha, because he is using the same math I am, it's just that Swenocha decided to put his stuff into "buckets" and somehow that's got his total slightly different, but nobody has seemed to track it down yet (I haven't had time to dig into it). I'm certain my numbers are "correct" for that math, but he has a fancy evil powerpoint that's cool. Except that powerpoint is a tool of the devil. LOL:

:evil:

Yah, if we remove the late fruit/hops addition, my number is in the low 2 million range. My number is so drastically low compared to others because I believed that if I could conceive of one non-viable recipe using my own parameters and the ingredients provided, then I would have to find a way to parse out which recipes were and weren't viable in my calculations. I think my idea of a non-viable recipe was American Light + 2 Booster + Boysenberries + 2 Fuggles + Cider yeast. In fact, I removed a couple of yeasts for this reason.

Anyway...

I think either mashini or swen's number is the mathematical limit. I tried to figure out where the differences were, but I didn't find it. Maybe I'll try again. Mashini's has my vote because, well, it was first. Swen's entry was by far the most polished (stinking powerpoint...).

I voted for Swen's presentation as I said I would in the contest thread. However, all of the finalists deserve a lot of credit for the time and effort they put in their estimates. That said, I think we should make Mr. B produce all the varients to show the numbers are correct!

[attachment=9048]dr-strangelove-be-optimistic_2012-10-04.jpg[/attachment]

"TimeTraveler" post=288519 said:

I voted for Swen's presentation as I said I would in the contest thread. However, all of the finalists deserve a lot of credit for the time and effort they put in their estimates. That said, I think we should make Mr. B produce all the varients to show the numbers are correct!

They should start sending everyone in the Borg a random set of ingredients once per month. We can brew and review.

I feel like both of our calculations are sound, but I'm thinking we'd find that one or the other used a different assumption or something along the way related to how we calculated in one (or more) of the ingredients. I haven't had any time to break it all down (probably moot anyway), but I'd bet that that's what we'd find, since we used similar methods from different angles.

As for Powerpoint... my managerial side sneaks out past my developer side now and again... ;)

Wow, I just went back and read the thread in detail, and realized I got a consolation prize. Pint glasses. That's cool. I always say, if you can't be smart, at least try to be popular. Thanks, Mike. And thanks to everyone for reading my posts.
:banana: :banana: :banana:

"Joechianti" post=288531 said:

Wow, I just went back and read the thread in detail, and realized I got a consolation prize. Pint glasses. That's cool. I always say, if you can't be smart, at least try to be popular. Thanks, Mike. And thanks to everyone for reading my posts.

... and a recipe of your choice... ;)

"swenocha" post=288532 said:

Wow. Even better. I need to start paying attention to details. As soon as I saw the pint glasses, I got so excited I didn't finish the sentence. This is so cool. And I've been combing the thrift stores lately looking for some good beer drinking glasses. Seriously.

Guest System Admin

That's awesome, Joe. I'm glad you are getting something that you can not only use but that you also wanted.

Well deserved, my home brewing friend.

Wonder what Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth prize will be..........

"Joechianti" post=288534 said:

"swenocha" post=288532 said:

Wow. Even better. I need to start paying attention to details. As soon as I saw the pint glasses, I got so excited I didn't finish the sentence. This is so cool. And I've been combing the thrift stores lately looking for some good beer drinking glasses. Seriously.

"swenocha" post=288530 said:

As for Powerpoint... my managerial side sneaks out past my developer side now and again... ;)

I buried my managerial side in a hole some time back. Don't want to go back there. Powerpoint give me nightmares LOL. Happy being a code and network monkey these days.

I'm mostly a manager in name only these days. I do development 90% of the time, with only very limited meeting and powerpoint responsibilities fortunately. Unfortunately that is due to understaffing by not filling positions when people leave, which forces us into a lot of overtime, etc. (and severely cuts into my brewing time, which explains why I am shifting back to extract brewing for the time being, but I digress), and also forces me out of the 50% development/50% management that the role was originally based in. I don't mind the development at all (in fact, I usually enjoy it), but I also enjoy the "working with the customers to develop business need and scope" part of things as well, and I am almost out of doing that out of necessity now... sigh...

Guest System Admin

I only wish I'd thought to do a deck. I can Powerpoint and Chart & Graph the hell outta almost anything.

These days at work, they are trying to get us to stop doing 40 page decks though so I guess I defaulted to that mindset.

Swen's presentation was very good, no question.

A quick look at the new tallies show that Mashani is pulling ahead. I might be looking for hanging chads soon... ;)

hanging_chad.jpg

(kidding... kidding... maybe. Ok, definitely kidding... ) :lol:

Regardless of the outcome, this is the result for all of us: :party:

EDIT: 250 votes? that's gonna be some wicked late voting, CEO! That would certainly blow this thing wide open for any of the six!

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=288576 said:

Swen's presentation was very good, no question.

Yes I will say he did a nice job on that one.

"swenocha" post=288615 said:

A quick look at the new tallies show that Mashani is pulling ahead. I might be looking for hanging chads soon... ;)

hanging_chad.jpg

EDIT: 250 votes? that's gonna be some wicked late voting, CEO! That would certainly blow this thing wide open for any of the six!

So, if the Mr.Beer Community Servers can handle a vote every 25ms. and the polls don't close until tomorrow then how many..... Oops, never mind, this is not the group to start that with ;)
Cheers!
MikeB

"MrBeerCEO" post=288618 said:

"swenocha" post=288615 said:

hanging_chad.jpg

So, if the Mr.Beer Community Servers can handle a vote every 25ms. and the polls don't close until tomorrow then how many..... Oops, never mind, this is not the group to start that with ;)
Cheers!
MikeB

You are such a trouble maker MikeB! I Like that !!!! :P :laugh: :chug:

Cheers!
MikeB

3,974,400 votes, assuming polls close at midnight.

First! Winna, winna... chicken dinna!!!

:banana:

:laugh: ;)

"swenocha" post=288621 said:

Cheers!
MikeB

3,974,400 votes, assuming polls close at midnight.

First! Winna, winna... chicken dinna!!!

:banana:

:laugh: ;)

I used my Mr. Beer decoder ring, and came up with 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42. Extrapolating that with the going market rate of pork bellies, and carrying the median retirement age, I come up with 3,974,401.

Awww.... Only one vote? Do I need to get my wife to create an account so I can get more than one vote? ;) I need to get me a SuperPAC to campaign on my behalf. (Super six-PAC?)

Regardless of the outcome, it was worth it just for the chance to explain factorials to my 10-year-old. :think:

This actually did tie into some of my kids school math, so it was good in that regards here too.

Swenocha, I spent so much time as a manager/developer in a place where we supposedly used Scrum, but the chickens wouldn't shut up and let the pigs talk in a standup, or get their sprint done without interfering. And or they expected me to act as both a chicken and a pig. And/or they violated the entire premise of the standup and turned it into a long drawn out meeting every day which means we got nothing done. It make me insane. Which is why I work from home now independent, and haven't gone back there even though I've been asked a few times.

I probably just confused the heck out of anyone who doesn't know scrum LOL.

We use XP (which is pretty darn similar to scrum), and were actually pretty successful with sticking to the principles for a while, but my team has greatly migrated out of project development and into production support (which really sucks in terms of being a development manager... now there ain't much to manage and XP really doesn't play into a prod support setting).

Guest System Admin

I vote that you two be penalized 10 votes each for that last line of discussion!

Owwwww, my head.

LOL

Guest System Admin

It's a two way race to the finish.

Either of the vote leaders totally deserves it.

"swenocha" post=288669 said:

We use XP (which is pretty darn similar to scrum), and were actually pretty successful with sticking to the principles for a while, but my team has greatly migrated out of project development and into production support (which really sucks in terms of being a development manager... now there ain't much to manage and XP really doesn't play into a prod support setting).

Did you actually do pair coding when you did XP? Just curious. They wouldn't even consider XP due to this where I came from. (how can that be productive say people who don't know any better).

Yes, our management was very adamant about pair programming. Works pretty well... virtually eliminates code review. Now, as my team of 15 was broken into three smaller units and my team has gone to small developments and prod support, we're not quite as strict about it, but the web teams in particular work that way almost exclusively. In fact, we've eliminated personal cubicles and/or desks in favor of laptops and tables. That's been a bit controversial, but we had been moving that way for a while. The personal desk spaces were rarely used prior because most people were paired at the tables...

What you didn't already figure out we were geeks LOL.

@swenocha, There are shops here where folks don't really even have their own "desk" really, just a shelf somewhere to stick thing on. Everybody's got a laptop, wireless, and they just move between various communal spaces that act as "virtual desks" along with whoever they are working with at the moment. It works very well for them from what I can tell.

Is this the "debate" between the leading canditates? Seems like there should be a moderator they're tending to stray off topic :P

Guest System Admin

I just wonder how they are going to break the tie without any flimflammery.

:evil:

EDIT: Removed any proposals on what anyone should do related to this contest. It's really not my place to say. They can really do whatever they deem correct. Regardless, I'm appreciative of the votes, for the fun contest, and for whatever prize may come my way. And congrats to Mashani and the other finalists.

BTW, I wasn't accusing MrB of doing anything "suspect" at all.

I was just being quasi-cynical and slightly satirical.

Guess it missed the mark.

Guest System Admin

I don't even think "flimflammery" is a word!!

LOL

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=288904 said:

Yikes! No, I wasn't accusing MrB of doing anything "suspect" at all.

I was just being quasi-cynical and slightly satirical.

Guess it missed the mark.

Well I guess we know who the REAL trouble-maker is around here. lol.

Just being quasi-moto. I mean quasi-cynical. Let's all have a beer together.

:gulp:

Removed Swen's quote out of respect for his wishes to retract it

Will someone please cast the TENTH vote for me?

Ten is more respectable looking.

I don't like nine.

Crap.

Well I guess we know who the REAL trouble-maker is around here. lol.

Hey, Joe....................Bite me!

LOL

B) :laugh: :P :dry: :lol: :silly: :kiss: :whistle:

It appears Mr. B has outdone themselves in terms of generosity related to this contest. All I can say is thank you. You guys, as always, are great.

Wow! You both win! That is freakin' awesome.

Thank you, MrBeer, for the LBK and the $100 GC that you have awarded to each of the remaining 4 finalists. Will you be emailing us?

I am very pleased and honored to have participated and ended up in the top 6.

:borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg:

Congrats to our two winners, Mashani and Swenocha!

And congrats as well to the remaining finalists!

And congrats to all the participants for playing, it was fun!

:borg:

Very well done, everyone. Not gonna lie, I'm still sorta surprised that everyone was able to stay civil and respectful for the entirety of the contest.

But then again, I'm not that surprised knowing how everyone respects each other on these forums. A rare thing on the interwebs, these days.

Congrats to everyone.

"swenocha" post=288957 said:

It appears Mr. B has outdone themselves in terms of generosity related to this contest. All I can say is thank you. You guys, as always, are great.

Awesome. I am very glad that you are co-winner. I honestly didn't care (too much) if I won, I did this mostly for fun.

And I was serious in my responses in various threads about not needing or being able to use all this stuff. If Mr. Beer CEO can make arrangements where they can direct ship some of the lager yeasts and whatever other things they award me that I don't need/want to other folks who participated in this contest, and we can come up with a fair way for you all to call dibs on them, you are welcome to some of the stuff. I'll see if that can be arranged whenever I chat with them.

Congratulations Swenocha and Mashani! Y'all definitely earned it!

And a BIG thanks to Mr.Beer and MrBeerCEO for putting on such a cool contest and, frankly, blowing my mind with your generosity.

:cheers:

Yes, thanks Mr. B for a fun contest! Congrats to Mashani and Swenocha!

[attachment=9065]congratulationclrchnge_2012-10-06.gif[/attachment]

Just curious since I don't know how this is supposed to work... Were any of the winners contacted for shipping/mailing information yet? I hadn't heard anything yet.

Congratulations to Swenocha and Mashani. Well done. And congratulations to everyone who contributed ideas and comments. This was a lot of fun. Thanks, Mike.

"Brewsus Yeast" post=289830 said:

Just curious since I don't know how this is supposed to work... Were any of the winners contacted for shipping/mailing information yet? I hadn't heard anything yet.

BY: I got contacted by MrBeer on PM in this forum. They are shipping out my LBK and $100 gift card tomorrow.

"Brewsus Yeast" post=289830 said:

Check your private messages.

Out with friends tonight, and look what I returned home to...

286104_4436602225487_73606667_o.jpg
IMAG0135.jpg
IMAG0136.jpg
IMAG0137.jpg
IMAG0138.jpg

Holy crap! I knew it was a lot of stuff, but that's a lot of stuff!

Thanks again to Mr. B. I'm very appreciative, and all of the ingredients will be put to good use between me, my sis-in-law, and my 'brewing apprentice' friend. Though if there is someone that needs some bottles or maybe a fermenter, PM me. I likely won't use all of those items, and I'll be glad to get them to a good home if someone wants to pay to ship.

Swen, that's awesome!

You're right - it SOUNDS like a lot but to see it is something different.

:chug:

Yeah I posted pics of mine too on it's own thread, and I had already given away some items, It's a whole bunch of stuff for sure.

They went way overboard here with the prize package.

But I will find a way to use all of it. Some people I know will be getting "brewing kits" for the holidays. They will be so pissed LOL.

[attachment=9104]WOW.gif[/attachment]

[attachment=9105]treasure-chests-003.gif[/attachment]

Swenocha, Looks like you hit the mother lode!

[attachment=9106]congratulationblueglow_2012-10-13.gif[/attachment]

Guest System Admin

WOW!

Totally scored, now tax man loves you two ;)

Guest System Admin

Mashani, do you have any of those 1 Litre PET bottles left that you don't need and could use a good home?

I actually only need 4 of them but if you want to part with a full box of 8 that's OK too.

If you're still overloaded with PET's let me know and we can arrange to get some shipped my way.

smw14620@everestkc dot net

Guest System Admin

Check PM and thanks!

Guest System Admin

Swen - got the package today.

Thanks again, man!

Guest System Admin

I did, check my thread in the Basic Recipes topic. I did my take on Boulevard's 80 Acre Wheat using an "old" MrB WWW as a base.

"swenocha" post=292798 said:

I have some. PM me...

Swenocha, I sent a PM yesterday in case you have any more bottles you are willing to part with. Thanks :chug:

Bumping this thread since I posted pics related to this contest that I unearthed earlier.  Then I notice the same pics are already in the thread.  D'oh!  Regardless, that was some wacky times brewing all of those ingredients.  And it was a fun exercise to do that kind of combination logic puzzle.  Still appreciate Mr. B folks for doing that contest.  Was way over the top generous, especially when they broke the tie by giving both of us the full prize.

• Like 2