Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Docniel

Deer Park Water

So I am asking the Borg, the house we are moving into, my friends left about 10-12 full five gallon deer park drinking water bottles the kind you find at the water cooler. Anyone use it? Anyone use it in brewing and/or as a secondary? Just curious.

I use Absopure Spring Water (the local Michigan equivalent) religiously. I have used well water, filtered well water, and bottled drinking water as well. The best and most consistent results I have gotten have been from the five gallon water-cooler type Absopure Spring Water.

If it is purified drinking water, watch out and be leery of it's use, as the water may no longer contain nutrients the yeast will need that are otherwise found in filtered spring water. The very same can be said of distilled water.

"Docniel" post=290837 said:

So I am asking the Borg, the house we are moving into, my friends left about 10-12 full five gallon deer park drinking water bottles the kind you find at the water cooler. Anyone use it? Anyone use it in brewing and/or as a secondary? Just curious.

Just to clarify, you are specifically asking about the bottles NOT the water that came in them. Is this correct?

"T8r Salad" post=290848 said:

Just to clarify, you are specifically asking about the bottles NOT the water that came in them. Is this correct?

T8r~

I agree that it looks like that's what he's asking, but people are answering something else.

I assume you mean the bottle itself. I have not, but I looked into it a while ago and if I recall, those bottles are not suitable for using to ferment. I believe it has something to do with the type of plastic potentially leaching chemicals. Either way, I would stick with something that is specifically designed to handle fermenting alcohol.

If you are talking about the plastic bottles - check the recycle code on the bottom. If they are #1 (PET), yes, you can use them as carboys for brewing. I routinely use Nestle water bottles that are #1 PET. As a matter of fact, Better Bottles are made of same plastic. #1 PET is virtually impermeable to oxygen.

Now, if they are #7, that would not be suitable for brewing at all - these are lexan bottles that have high oxygen permeability, and will oxidize your beer.

my friends left about 10-12 full five gallon

With the word "full" I, and several others, took it that the bottles were...full!

Sorry got busy with moving stuff yesterday.
Answers to questions:
They are full bottles of drinking water. right now
I am talking about the Plastic PET bottles in regards to a secondary fermentation/ conditioning bottle, (one time use)
Russki, I have to take some more stuff down to the house tomorrow, so I will look. Speaking of the PET plastic, aren't the LBK's PET2?
So if they are PET1, they would be good

"Docniel" post=291113 said:

Sorry got busy with moving stuff yesterday.
Answers to questions:
They are full bottles of drinking water. right now
I am talking about the Plastic PET bottles in regards to a secondary fermentation/ conditioning bottle, (one time use)
Russki, I have to take some more stuff down to the house tomorrow, so I will look. Speaking of the PET plastic, aren't the LBK's PET2?
So if they are PET1, they would be good

I think LBKs are PVC(#3) plastic, but I may be mistaken. PET is one of the best plastics to use for fermentation as it's nearly impervious to oxygen, and won't leach anything into the beer. That's what Better Bottles are made from. As I said - I buy 5 gallon jugs of Nestle water (#1 PET) - they are $12.50 at my grocery store, use the water for brewing, and bottles as secondary fermenters. 5 gallon Better Bottles are $25 at the LHBS.

Which is why I figured I'd ask. Plans changed so I'll know the answer to whether or not they are PET1 next week when we move.

So I got to look at the bottles and they are #1 PET.
On another note, how is everyone doing tonight?
As for myself, I'm good drinking my version of King's Nectar.

Doing good... ran around doing errands today, carved some pumpkins this evening; now I'm drinking a Pyramid Snow Cap ale... back to work early tomorrow morning!
:chug:

I would have a beer too, but I'm up early to drive back down to the new house. Glad to hear your doing good.