Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nash1444

Not a happy camper

Hey All,
I tasted my beer tonight. My brother was over and had him taste them too. I followed the 2-2-2, also been in the fridge for over 2 weeks. My double chocolate stout tasted like a tin can my brother said, the caramel, cappucuinno, vanilla porter was very bitter to me. The prince Ludwig Lager i did not like. Only thing i liked was the blueberry pale ale.

Guess i should go back to making regular batches without adding stuff to them. But i am now interested in making wine! Thanks.

Try not to get too down, Nash. There's a good chance that the ones you didn't like will improve with age. Take them out of the fridge and let them condition for another several weeks...especially the stout and porter. In my experience, stouts take much longer to condition properly than some other styles, especially if they had a high OG.

As an example, I brewed a stout in the spring that was terrible after 4 weeks in the bottles but absolutely fantastic by 12 weeks in the bottles.

Patience, my friend...

+1 to what Mano has stated. Porters and Stouts take a significant amount of time to reach their true potential. When you mix chocolate, vanilla, coffee, fruits, etc. it takes time for those flavors to level out and settle.

I almost always cheat and drink one of my beers at 2 or 3 weeks conditioning and they always kind of suck. I've been doing it enough that even though they suck, I can see where the beers are headed directionally. Even my light, low gravity beers really hit their stride only after 6 - 8 weeks conditioning. That's why there is so much talk about building a pipeline up.

If you put them in the fridge for two weeks, that pretty much puts conditioning in suspended animation. Take them out of the fridge and let them sit at least a few more weeks. You state interest in wine and it's an even longer conditioning cycle, but same concept.

Best of luck.

"SmokeDiver3zero" post=291220 said:

Those will take more time. I would wait AT LEAST 2 more months before trying another.

:chug:

+1

1 1/2 to 2 months...I agree wholeheartedly.

Very tough to do, I appreciate that. But the odds of those ingredients meshing together well are so minimal, it would be very understandable for you to have gotten the bad taste your did.

Nash~

You mentioned a "tin can" taste.

According to "How to Brew":

Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

==================

Note the short note of the "hydrolysis of lipids of poorly stored malts". Whether that's on you or on the place you purchased the malts from...I would consider that possibility.

Again, I would strongly encourage a beer like this to sit for another 6-8 weeks...just to be 100% sure. But this explanation could also factor in.