Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrgoblueguy

First time brewing hard cider!!!

I finally got my order today and am really excited to make my first attempt at a hard cider. Does anybody have any tips? Anything I should know? Is adding a can of blueberries in a good or bad idea the first time?

Thanks again!!!

Ive made a few. The one that went over well at a get together was called 'Kts caramel apple Cider' or something from the old MrB. It was quite good after conditioning for 3 months. A little hot but very tastey. But some folks seemed to black out that night cause I got calls the next day saying wtf was that? It was like 10% AbV. I wont make it again. But it has become somewhat of a historical event when rehashing old stories and it gets a lot of laughs. I have a pumpkin cider in the bottles for later this fall which tasted a lot better and sweeter going into the bottles. When I serve that Im going to dust the rims of the glass with sugar and cinnamon. Its a big one so I am going to warn everyone before consuming.

Blueberries would be a nice addition to a cider for sure. Its easy to get carried away with the fermentables so be careful as to not make it so strong that you get an alcohol taste. Yankeedag owns these parts for cider concoctions so maybe he will chime in.