Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
vitch61

Diablo IPA: Straight Up Delicious!

I bring you GOOD NEWS!

Just finished a 2-liter bottle of the new MB Diablo IPA. I did it straight up and according to 2-2-2. Nice and hoppy! Now I like the old ADIPA, but this is better. Little bit more malt and more bite, IMO. I'm very excited by this new "Craft Beer!"

Since I did the whole series, I'm going to dive into the Winter Lager, NW Pale Ale and Bewitched during tomorrow's NFL games.

I'm very glad to hear this. I'm doing 3-3-3 so it'll be almost another week before I give it a try but I appreciate your update.
I hope others update as well.
I'm curious (only because I'm a hop head) but what kind of commercial/craft beers do you like? I ask to get an idea since I wasn't a huge fan of ADIPA.

I'm not a hop-head either, but I do like Sierra Nevada. I've had lots of IPA before, with most being a bit too hoppy for me. I think this Diablo brew is more in line with a Pale Ale. And I do think ADIPA was like that, too. But yes, I do like this Diablo a lot. I love the bite.

Ive done a half dozen batches so far, and this one is my favorite by far. Cant wait to do it again.
I did 3 weeks in the keg, 2 bottled in the dark, 1 week in the fridge.
Came out great and was a hit amongst friends.. Didnt modify the recipe much, but definitely open to do so for future batchs with the Diablo
:gulp:

Guest System Admin

So Diablo is a lot like SNPA?

The finish reminds me of SNPA. We all have different tastes and takes, but SNPA came immediately to my mind after my first pint of Diablo. Nice biting pale ale. Little darker in appearance, I'd say.

Really good news. I'm doing a 3-6 where the "3" is over next Tuesday. The extract coating in the empty can tasted super.

We bottled our Diablo IPA today. (OG=1.045, FG=1.009)
This was the first batch that we kinda cold-crashed before bottling. I took the FG yesterday afternoon, then put the LBK in our super-cold fridge for 24 hours.
The hydrometer sample yesterday was cloudy, but tasted good. Not as hoppy as I was expecting with a name like "Diablo". All the bottles came out super clear today with an excellent golden color. I'm impressed, and plan to start crashing, racking, and batch priming future batches. (I'll have questions about that, I'm sure.)

I'm not a super hop-head, but let's just say I can appreciate a well-made IPA. I do enjoy SNPA when I've had it, so this is good news. I have a batch of Diablo carbing right now, so I'll be looking forward to enjoying it in a month or so.

BTW, this is my first batch with the new ingredients, so it's good to know the quality continues.

Not having tasted it yet, other than the taste when bottling, I find it hard that it's 70 IBU's. In fact, the Winter Dark which has 60 IBU's actually tasted hoppier than Diablo but I think it's because of the malts used.
I'm relatively sure that if/when I brew Diablo again, it won't be straight up and I'll not only be adding more malt but I'll be adding hops AND dry hopping.
However, I certainly can understand they make this beer for the middle of the road hop heads.

I may brew this up tonight. Given the night off, haven't brewed in over a month due to vacation and moving, won the batch in the MB contest; that all sounds like fate to me. Wasn't planning on brewing until an all grain batch next weekend, but who's to resist fate? Hopefully I'll have enough bottles come bottling time!

I was in the middle of debating on whether or not to give this one a try but after hearing all the good news of it I think I'm gonna go ahead and get an order in for my own.

"vitch61" post=291413 said:

I bring you GOOD NEWS!

Just finished a 2-liter bottle of the new MB Diablo IPA. I did it straight up and according to 2-2-2. Nice and hoppy! Now I like the old ADIPA, but this is better. Little bit more malt and more bite, IMO. I'm very excited by this new "Craft Beer!"

Since I did the whole series, I'm going to dive into the Winter Lager, NW Pale Ale and Bewitched during tomorrow's NFL games.

Was this a deluxe refill or a standard craft refill?

I did the standard St Patricks Irish Stout (new ingredients) and thought it was really good compared to the earlier MB mix.

This is exciting indeed. I was planning on brewing a batch of this tonight with a softpack of the "Smooth" UME for a little extra kick.

It is not bad, just not my cup of tea. I like Sierra Nevada, but I don't like Red Hoptober. This one IMO is almost a Red Hoptober. I can drink it, but I don't want to. I brewed this for a Hophead friend, so he should be in heaven.

I doubt I do this one again.

I'll throw my verdict in this weekend but as a hop head, I'm thinking this won't be hoppy enough. But, equally important is a hop-malt balance. Anyone can add hops to make a beer bitter and smell good. The balance between the two is what makes me spend good money on hoppy craft brews.

I'm glad those who brewed this are giving their opinions. Though I have this and Winter Dark, I would love to hear opinions from anyone on any of the Craft series, straight up or with added LME.

I tried an early bottle of the Diablo IPA (two weeks) brewed straight up. It's a decent IPA, very clear with a bit of head and some lacing. It has a nice bitter finish but lacks hop flavor in my opinion. I think this is common with all prehopped malt extracts.

My plan for next time is do a 20 minute boil of the soft pack LME along with a half once of cascades hops then add the Diaablo can at flame out. This will add some more body along with hop flavor without adding much bitterness.

Anyway, my .02

[attachment=9171]004.JPG[/attachment]
Am drinking a diablo right now and it does remind me of a SNPA. Just a bit darker. This is just the craft refill and I added 4 oz carapils and use US05 yeast. Could be a bit maltier but that is my taste preference. I'd definitley do it againd but I'd add more hops. I'm bottling another batch of it tomorrow or the next day. That one was the deluxe so it may provide what I'm looking for. I dry hopped .5 oz galena hops the last week in the LBK. I'm cold crashing now.

Guest System Admin

Wahooooo! I got my contest gift card today - THANKS MR BEER!!

Gonna be makin' me an order very soon........Diablo, you're on the list!

Mine is 12 days in the bottle so I must be patient, must be patient, must be patient......