Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BadKarma

New to Forum-12 Month Brewer

Although its my first post...many of you have helped me over the last 12 months with several batches with *all* of the great information on here. (Thanks) I am currently on batch 9, using 3 kits simultaneously and all have worked out well.

Now to my dilemma.

I recently purchased a "discounted" refill kit (Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner ) from Mr. Beer. Today, I placed the (2) two refills in warm water and began my 4 cup water boil. Upon opening the cans of Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner, I observed what appeared to be a "chunky" outer ring on the lid. Upon pouring the contents into my boiling water (removed from heat)...1/2 the can had a "chunky" consistency with a malodorous aroma to it. I then opened the second can, only to find the same thing.

I then opted to taste a small amount of the product from the can...and "STILL" cannot get the poor taste out of my mouth. Note: I regularly taste the small amount of product from the cans as it usually gives me a slight idea of what the final product is going to taste like.

See Attached Photo

Any thoughts??

Some of the extracts have hop residue in them. I'm guessing that that is what you have. Hops themselves have a very distinctive and potent flavor that can remain with you for a while. Chew on a fresh hop or a hop pellet to get an idea. Anyway, that's my guess. I think the beer will turn out just fine. Alternately, how old are the cans? LME will tend to change a bit with age.

Based on the pic alone I too would say that it's just chunk's 'o' hops. You probably got a taste of a good clump which oly noted will stick with you for a while.

Have you tried THIS recipe before? If not, you may likely just be picking up on the aroma of the hops that were used.

Again, just based on the picture I don't see anything to worry about.

Thanks a bunch. However...I just committed "Home Brew Sin" and cut my loses before even pouring it into my keg. I'm sticking with the refills I've had good luck with. Thanks again for the input but I "freaked" too soon. Ha ha

I ordered a bunch of those Czech Pilsner refills on that blow-out sale. I immediately stripped the yeast packets out from under thelids and put them in fridge. I found the mfg date on 2 of them to be like June of 2010, and all the rest to be May of 2011. I didn't look at the dates under the cans themselves. Apparently this stuff has a bit of age on it. I might have to check dates on mine and open a couple of the oldest ones and use them right away to get an idea of the condition. I'll try to let you know what I find. Maybe there are others out there who got some of that same stuff and used it already and are willing to share the results.

Oh, BTW, sorry. Welcome to the Borg, post-wise, anyway.

Thanks for that. Yeah, I tend to agree with the hop theory but after looking at the "Blowout" Special...have 2 cans dated 2010. This makes me lean to my original thought. None the less, I'm only out $7.00 and plan on ordering some new refills Friday. Thanks again all!

Welcome to the Borg, and better luck with the rest of your blowout cans. Good to have you here.

Ya, 12 months isnt much but I have really enjoyed it thus far. And the forum is a great, great tool.

Welcome to the forum BadKarma, Change your name to GoodKarma to have better luck on making beer. Just kidding. Welcome to the borg, good luck, and happy brewing. :cheers:

Thanks berryman. Actually, I have had great success with ALL of my refills up until today. I am 99% sure that the can (dated 2012) had just gone bad. Needless to say, I am looking to see what my next bacth is going to be. I currently have (1) Patriot Lager Bottled 4 days – (1) Oktoberfest Bottled 4 days and (1) Heffeweizen sitting two days in the keg. I have 2 kegs open for use and not sure what direction I want to go. Ironically, I really enjoyed the IPA that came with my first kit.

You ARE hooked. Making beer is a great hobby. A lot of hobbies you end up just sinking alot of money into, but brewing beer has a nice reward. Happy you joined up with us.

Thanks BigPapaG!

Yeah, before brewing...my BIG hobby is flying. I flight fixed wing, roto and powered parachutes. :)

"BadKarma" post=291987 said:

Thanks a bunch. However...I just committed "Home Brew Sin" and cut my loses before even pouring it into my keg. I'm sticking with the refills I've had good luck with. Thanks again for the input but I "freaked" too soon. Ha ha

You are a very bad man :: waves finger ::. :lol:

Never dump your beer!

Welcome to the forum. But never dump your beer. We do not like that.

Welcome to participating in the board.

Not the only, but the biggest problem you'll have with those old cans is going to be the color. For example, if the Czech Pilsner mix was supposed to be a 3...on a 2010 can. By now it's probably going to produce a brew around a 7-ish.

That being said, I don't know that there'd be anything "off" with the beer. I tend to agree with Mashani on this in regard to not dumping a beer. You paid for it and you could easily be tossing 2 gallons of fun down the drain on a mis-perception.

The picture you provided looks like those are hop particles. They HME syrups is really not supposed to taste that good straight out of the can.

===========

I hope you'll continue to participate more and ask questions if you ever need to in the future.

===========

Tell us a little more about you and what you like to brew/drink? Also...I'm interested to know...what you'd like to try in the future? Maybe a beer project we can steer you in the right direction.

Well, I do have another question.
I have a can of IPA but no yeast and no booster. I also have 2 packets if yeast from the Czech brew I dumped. Do I have anything there or am I still dead in the water?

Add 1# of DME and some C hop or Amarillo or other similar hop to that and you have good APA style beer.

Here is what I opted to go with. This batch is just going to be for fun with some various items I had left over from my trip to the home brew store.

Only thing I messed up on: I added my cold water the keg for shock, boiled my 4 cups of water, mixed my HME etc. etc. but when I sprinkled my yeast...noticed I had only filled the water to the 6 and not the 8.5 mark. So I then had to add water after already adding my yeast?

Note sure if that was a deal breaker or not?!??!?!

Below are the items I had.

I didnt think so but thats what happens when you "brew" on a 60 minute lunch break. Ha Ha

Thanks for the quick response.

PS-I have never used that DME? Smelled good when it was done and seemed to have a nice color to it. Who has used it and whats the end result?

:chug:

The water thing won't hurt you unless the pitching temperature was too high. Did you check your temperature before you pitched the yeast?

Typically, the instructions are intended for you to add the cold water top off to bring your wort temp down into the 60s or 70s to make it safe to pitch the yeast. If your water was cold enough...meaning refrigerated for a day or so...6L might have been enough to accomplish that.

If the wort was too hot, it could have potentially killed the yeast.

Yes- I always use refrigerated spring water that's almost to the freezing temp as my initial 4 quarts. And, I removed from heat/boil and had a solid 5 minutes before adding to the keg. My "kicker" was that after all was said and done...I went to screw on the lid and noticed it wasn't all the way to the 8.5 line.

Thanks again for everyone's time.

"BadKarma" post=292420 said:

I didnt think so but thats what happens when you "brew" on a 60 minute lunch break. Ha Ha

Thanks for the quick response.

PS-I have never used that DME? Smelled good when it was done and seemed to have a nice color to it. Who has used it and whats the end result?

:chug:

Right now all my brews are steeped grains and DME and hop boils. As a beginning brewer you can make some great beers that way. It takes a little bit longer than using hopped extracts but it isn't much more difficult to do.