Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RickBeer

Firecracker Red Ale doesn't disappoint

1 Can High Country Canadian Draft HME
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HME)
1 Can Dark Sweet Cherries in Heavy Syrup
1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

YOU PR0VIDE:
1 Cup Honey
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon

Opened this last night, and it was a favorite over the Cherry Wheat. Hint of cinnamon, you can definitely taste the honey. Didn't produce much of a head at all though. I think when I make it again I'll add some LME.

Right on always good to hear when a batch comes out right. You might think about steeping a bit of carapils or using maltodextrin for getting head retention. Read up on it as there have been several post about this. I'm too darn lazy to post a link.

Guest System Admin

At 6 weeks it was better, and much better than the Cherry Wheat, which went on my Don't Make Again list.

I added the DME 1lb and almost had my first puking keg..glad I did not add extra yeast like I had thought about also glad that I keep my fermentation cave at 65 degrees. It went up into the cap but did not puke..This one smelled up the house as if I was baking wife really liked the smell.

Oh heck I have all of these ingredients sitting around - including some extra DME - I do have to be able to brew something relatively quick & easy after I get back from trip so this has moved WAY up the list of possibilities - as I bought a couple cans of both cherries and blueberries a while ago without knowing what hte heck I was gonna do with them. Now I know. Thanks
jeff

Guest System Admin

"onefatgerman" post=338370 said:

Thanfully I have a can of HCCD. Is there a replacement recipe with any of the new HME's?

Not as of yet. I just checked MrB's website under "Fruity Recipes" and this one is not listed so they have not yet reformulated it and may not.

I have not tried this specific recipe with raspberries. But the old recipe for "Mountain Raspberry" used the High Country Canadian Draft with raspberries. That is a recipe that I surprisingly liked very well. SWMBO also liked it quite well. I have 2 cases of it conditioning for spring.

I also like the "Firecracker Red Ale" I still have a few bottles of it left.

Rick

Guest System Admin

Did you use a pale or amber DME for this?

I used a Pale DME. 1 LB. Make sure you do not use Saigon Cinamon from Costco, it will have a harsh taste on the backend.

From Mashani:
Suggestion: Use Ceylon cinnamon, not Cassia next time if you don't like the harshness. You will get all the good cinnamon flavor, without the bite.

+1 to the High Country Canadian. Been working daylight and nothing to do this week but sample a bunch from the pipeline. All the recipes Ive had with said HME are all very good. I dont remember leeping out of my chair on the basic refill but my note taking wasnt as extensive as it is now. I still have 3 cans of this and just made a lagered version of first pitch pilsner. Will defenitley google some of the discontinued recipes using this.

To answer the honey question: add honey after primary fermentation, a week after brewing. Then, let it ferment another 2 weeks, since fermentation will start again. If you add the honey at the start, the flavor will blow away during primary fermentation. The final result will still not taste like you might expect, but the honey adds a nice roundness.

This one just keeps getting better with age, either the cinamon is conditioning out, or I am getting used to the harshness..Has quite the kick too. :gulp:

Definitely might add this to my list when I am in a rush and want a simple Mr. Beer recipe to brew.

Just out of curiosity, when did you add cherries, cinnamon and honey?

"calledthestig" post=347624 said:

Definitely might add this to my list when I am in a rush and want a simple Mr. Beer recipe to brew.

Just out of curiosity, when did you add cherries, cinnamon and honey?

I added it all in the beginning, added cinamon and honey to the hot wort, topped off with cold water and then added the pureed cherries.

Mr. Beer has you add everything at flameout.

I literally just finished this again minutes ago. I modified the recipe, which actually is a different Mr. Beer recipe, St. Valentine Cherries in Honey. It removes the cinnamon.

Based on my learning since the first batch, I will add the cherries at 1 week.

I made this with 3.5 ounces of honey malt (thought I got 3 but it measured 3.5 at home) and 4 ounces of carafoam, steeped for 30 minutes. I then added 1 lb of pale LME, and 1/2 cup of honey to raise the ABV 0.8. 1 cup would be too high an ABV for this with the other items.

At 1 week I'll sanitize the blender, puree the cherries, and pour them in gently.

I've got one bottle of this left from maybe 9 months ago. When it was "new" it smelled and tasted like......not good beer. At the 6 month in the bottle mark, it really was something good. I should finish off that last bottle before it gets too old. But yeah, good stuff.

I saw where someone mentioned they looked up the old recipe. Where are those at? I've got a handful of old MB cans that I'd like to spruce up...the old basic refills with just the can and booster don't do it for me anymore. :P

"antiwraith" post=354190 said:

I've got one bottle of this left from maybe 9 months ago. When it was "new" it smelled and tasted like......not good beer. At the 6 month in the bottle mark, it really was something good. I should finish off that last bottle before it gets too old. But yeah, good stuff.

I saw where someone mentioned they looked up the old recipe. Where are those at? I've got a handful of old MB cans that I'd like to spruce up...the old basic refills with just the can and booster don't do it for me anymore. :P

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AvC_u0VMvajpdHRSYlVpUElvbGZJYl9hbFo3NkVmR3c#gid=1 http://web.archive.org/web/20100430174242/http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/8

I finally got around to making my version of this. It's as follows:

1 can HCD
1 lb. Light DME
1 Cup Agave
1 Can Raspberries in heavy syrup

Plan on adding the Agave after the first days.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
T4G

Hey all quick question - I'm adding my pureed raspberries after a week. Do I stir thr puree into the wort or do I just add it and then sealth the keg?

Thanks,
T4G

No stirring. Gently pour not stirring up anything. Lid back on quickly. Blender sanitized first.