Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Patsguy

New guy

Hello all, by my subject you'll note I'm a newbie here and to brewing. Received my kit for my birthday on oct 7, brewed first batch oct 14, after pats game of course. First batch was west coast pale ale that came in the kit.

I had some experience with dad 20 some odd years ago, have been to local breweries and wineries and have made some wine at one of them. So I'm familiar with the necessity to sanitize everything. Have to mention I was particularly excited about this gift, knowing right well where it would likely lead me (even if the fam didn't get it).

I had the basic kit with LBK, WCPA, bottles etc. and after lurking around here realized I needed more tools for the trade, of course I didn't make the purchase until after I brewed first batch. I never got the OG of that batch but refused to bottle it until I received my hydrometer. After 11 days I got a reading of 1.010 which meant fermentation was done based on info here. Well the sample tasted very bitter to me so I waited a few more days before bottling. I bottled yesterday oct 14 (after pats game of course) and boy was I surprised at the flavor, much better! I'll wait the 2 weeks after bottling and another in fridge for conditioning.

In the mean time, I now have 3 LBK's ready and some other tools so the itch got me going tonight while waiting for the storm to knock out power. Just finished brewing my winter dark ale delux which I intend to have ready for Christmas. Maybe tomorrow ill brew up the classic American blonde ale I received as part of the gift. This still leaves 1 LBK so I'm afraid I'm gonna have to head out to the store to make a selection, maybe an IPA since I'm drinking red hook long hammer IPA and I'm "hooked".

Anyway, hello all and happy brewing!

"Patsguy" post=293291 said:

I'll wait the 2 weeks after bottling and another in fridge for conditioning.

???

You mean you'll wait FOUR (4) weeks for carb and conditioning and THEN put it in the fridge for about a week. Right?

-------

So, you brewed on October 14 and bottled on 10/28? Not bad. The basic WCPA kit should have been good by then. 14-to-21 fermentation is good.

-------

Welcome to the obsession. The more you read and learn and experiement and all of that...the better it gets. Aaaaaaaaah Beer. :)

Sorry if my terminology is off, I meant that I'll wait 2 weeks for carb and conditioning then put in fridge for a week

"Patsguy" post=293301 said:

Sorry if my terminology is off, I meant that I'll wait 2 weeks for carb and conditioning then put in fridge for a week

That's ok and it will work, but 4 weeks in the bottle would be alot better, then fridge .

+1. The common belief on this forum is that it takes 2 weeks to carb and 2 weeks to condition (4 weeks at room temps) and THEN you put the beer in the fridge to chill for 3-4 days prior to cracking open.

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=293306 said:

+1. The common belief on this forum is that it takes 2 weeks to carb and 2 weeks to condition (4 weeks at room temps) and THEN you put the beer in the fridge to chill for 304 days prior to cracking open.

That explains why mine have been lacking something. I've been cracking them open after only 303 days.

Welcome to the borg Patsguy.....a good rule is either a 2-2-2 or 3-2-2, first number is fermentation, second number is carb (room temp), third number is condition (room temp), lastly you put in fridge for another two weeks. So really it is more like 4 weeks conditioning with 2 out of fridge and 2 in fridge. Don't know why we don't make our numbers something like 3-2-2-2. Also note that higher gravity beers and dark beers take much longer to condition. I condition my stout's min two months room temp.

Welcome to the Borg! :borg:

Like many others, the WCPA box kit was my first batch almost 3 months ago. 2 weeks in the keg.

After much welcome advice from others here, I realized that although it was "beer" at that point, it would be better beer a week later, and much better beer a month later. You get the point I'm sure, especially with your previous experience! :)
I attempted to let them carbonate + condition for a while. However, I was also interested in what difference the waiting would make. After 2 weeks carbonating, I move a bottle to the fridge every week or two.

After 7 weeks carbonating (and 5 batches later), it was worth the grueling wait! Although it's wasn't the best beer I've drank (or made), the wait definitely improved the taste.

I've recently bought the WCPA again - this time I'll use 2 cans of the malt extract, 2 packets of the 2g yeast, no booster, and maybe a golden softpack/LME too.

Wine, eh?

Oh, I'm not sure the (cold @ 35-50F) fridge counts as conditioning. My understanding is at that temperature, the yeast takes a nap and doesn't assist anymore in some of the cleaning up of the taste.
(I'm hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong or confirm if this is correct.)

:chug: Cheers!

Orange, I think the fridge time has more to do with overall flavor and absorption of co2 created. I believe your right about the yeast hibernating. Cheers!

"Patsguy" post=293372 said:

Orange, I think the fridge time has more to do with overall flavor and absorption of co2 created. I believe your right about the yeast hibernating. Cheers!

Yea, you are absolutely right. I've follow 3-2-2 method. I carb condition slightly warmer, say around 70 for 2 weeks and then put the bottles in the basement at 66 ish for 2 weeks. I've noticed when you put the bottles in the fridge, they need to stay in the fridge at least 3 days before opening one so the C02 is absorbed. I opened one really early and it just wasn't carbed correctly with different sized bubbles. I waited a couple of more days and the C02 was perfect.
Stay safe in this storm!

Yeah I used to think as soon as room temp conditioning is done they are ready...
Til I had one of the same beers that had been in the fridge for a week.
The cold conditioning really improves the flavor for some reason...especially in heavier beers.

Guest System Admin

I've noticed when you put the bottles in the fridge, they need to stay in the fridge at least 3 days before opening one so the C02 is absorbed.

The cold conditioning really improves the flavor for some reason...especially in heavier beers.

+1 and +1

Welcome to the forum and good luck to you! Feel free to ask any question you might have. There is such a vast wealth of knowledge that the forum members have that someone will certainly have thes answer(s) you are looking for. They have been such a great help to me, I'm certain you will find it the same. Welcome to the obsession!

Thanks all for the welcomes, and yes I find plenty of good reading around here. Only problem is, the more I read, the more I want to make. :cheers:

"Patsguy" post=293677 said:

Thanks all for the welcomes, and yes I find plenty of good reading around here. Only problem is, the more I read, the more I want to make. :cheers:

That's not a problem, just a challenge. ;)

Guest System Admin

Resistance is futile. You have been assimilated!

:borg:

Welcome aboard! I'm relatively new here myself, but already learned so very much about brewing.
The guys here are very knowledgeable and very willing to share. None of the "it's my recipe and YOU CAN'T HAVE IT" going on here.

[attachment=9274]TheBorgLife_2012-10-31.jpg[/attachment]

"Patsguy" post=293677 said:

wow this guy is good !!!! it took me more than 5 posts AND 4 BATCHES - untill i thought the same thing 2-YEARS A GO !!!!!!! :pound:

Welcome, Patsguy. My brother is a Patriots fan, too, and since my son and I are Giants fans, we have a good time giving him the business now and then.

The advice on carbing and conditioning is solid. Many beers are good when they're young, especially wheat beers and lighter colored beers. But even these won't be hurt by extended conditioning at room temperature. One member here recommends four months from bottling to eventually drinking a beer. I used to think that was excessive until I built my pipeline up in the spring and actually had a chance to try a beer after that much time. It does make a difference.

Since you have 3 LBKs, I'd recommend getting a brewing rotation going. You can bottle a batch every week, and then turn right around and brew another once you've cleaned the LBK. That gives you 3 weeks fermenting, and an immediate turn-around, so there's less lag time. You'd be surprised at how quickly you can build up the pipeline, and how much easier it is to wait until the beer is properly conditioned. Set aside a couple of bottles from each batch, too. There's nothing better than discovering "hidden" beer, and it'll help you appreciate extended condition times.

FedoraDave, on the football front you must feel very fortunate, lucky even. :whistle:

I have to admit that I had little trust in my patience before I stumbled in here. After reading a few posts here and there it began to feel a bit like peer pressure to just leave the beer alone for a while. So the 3 LBK began to feel like a necessity to build a pipeline.

Right now I find myself in a bit of a hurry to empty my bottles of the free beer so there will be enough for bottling day. Just another challenge I suppose.

Noticed your fermenting apple crisp, hadn't seen that one around. Where may a new englander find the recipe for that one?
:chug:

I do feel fortunate, Patsguy, but not lucky. But don't worry, I won't get DEFENSIVE about it. :whistle:

The apple crisp recipe is from the Brooklyn BrewShop's "Beer Making Book". But it's reproduced here in a 2-gallon format.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1645551

Now, to be fair, I haven't even bottled this yet, so I can't vouch for it, but I think it will be a good beer. Be forewarned, though; this had such active fermentation that it blew the airlock off my carboy. Keep the LBK in a roasting pan or something to catch any overflow.

Welcome!! Keep hanging around here and you will learn enough to brew great beer. Plus this is a great bunch of guys and girls.