Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jt3_jon

Yeast Strain Temperature Chart - which is correct?

I'm thinking about brewing an Octoberfest (I know I'm a little late :) and read the FAQ here which is full of great information, in which I found this chart on Yeast strains for lager: http://www.onebeer.net/yeaststrains_lager.html

I found an Octoberfest in the list and it says to "Atten." at 73% to 77% (what does this mean?) and Temp of 48° to 58° F, which I'm assuming is the temp I need to keep the beer while fermenting. However, I also read the Mr. beer manual, which states keep the beer with 68°-76° F. Which is correct?

The manual also states that Lagers take longer to ferment then Ales. How much longer? I'm still torn on going for the Octoberfest (Lager) or the Witty Monky Witbier, which I dont know what type of beer it is, haha!

Thanks in advance for the help.

If you are using the MB yeast, it is an ale yeast, not a lager, despite the recipe being called a lager. To get a true lager, you need to use a lager yeast. That is fermented at lower temps than an ale yeast.

The 73% to 77% means attenuation. So the percentage it ferments to 1.000. Typically beer is 75%.

But if you are doing an MB recipe with the included MB yeast, you need to ferment at ale temperatures.

Thank you so much for your post!! You have cleared up the confusion!

As for time, I plan on keeping it in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks, and then bottle for at least a month before cracking one open. Does this seem fine for the Octoberfest?

Again, I'll say here that I really wish Mr. B wouldn't use the word 'lager' in their extracts that they sell with ale yeast. That's a bit corn-fusing...

"jt3_jon" post=293331 said:

Thank you so much for your post!! You have cleared up the confusion!

As for time, I plan on keeping it in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks, and then bottle for at least a month before cracking one open. Does this seem fine for the Octoberfest?

Fermenting 2-3 weeks and waiting a month to open a bottle is a good standard to go by.