Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
piscator

Scottish Wee Heavy

This is what I'm going to miss the most. It's based on Bewitched Red Ale and there is NO replacement in the Cooper's line up.

It's super-smooth, good nose, great flavor, and nice butterscotch finish.

Screwy says 6.7% and I believe it!

Scottish Wee (way) Heavy:

1 can BRA
1 refilled can of NB Amber
1 bag booster (yes, the whole bag)
1 cup Dark Brown sugar
4 TBS Butterscotch rum
2x old fromunda, or 1x new cooper

40 days minimum conditioning.

Yummy: :gulp:

Okay, glass is half gone...now what was I saying?

Who cares. :gulp:

[attachment=9253]ScottishWeeHeavy.jpg[/attachment]

Since my new hydrometer came today, I did a FG on the brew and that ain't easy with a carbed beer. Especially this one. The tube filled with head. So I sucked it out with a straw and added more beer. Suck, add, suck, add, etc until the darn hydrometer floated.

Then spin and knock the carb bubbles off, which kept floating the hydrometer up.

Eventually I got a reading. The .10 is covered by the meniscus. By best guess, this one is right around 1.010 or 1.011.

Back in the glass she goes.

"piscator" post=293345 said:

This is what I'm going to miss the most. It's based on Bewitched Red Ale and there is NO replacement in the Cooper's line up.

It's super-smooth, good nose, great flavor, and nice butterscotch finish.

Yummy: :gulp:

Agreed! So sad. :(

SWH was the very first batch of homebrew I ever made... and it's still my absolute favorite.

I'm not a LBK brewer, but was intrigued by this one, as it is in my wheelhouse of beer styles. It's been about (without looking at my notes) 2+ months conditioning.
Those of you who have made it, what is your opinion on how long it should condition for best results?

I'm really starting to like it now, with over 4 months of conditioning.

"Abqu" post=293421 said:

I'm really starting to like it now, with over 4 months of conditioning.

Sounds like this brew is a long term commitment... :chug:

Thanks. My plan usually runs 6 months, with only taking a couple out at a time. :charlie:

Yeah, somewhere between the third and fourth month was when it really tasted great to me.

Unfortunately, they didn't last much longer... I enjoyed them too much to see how they tasted with longer conditioning. :stout:

I have yet to brew this, but planned on it being good so I bought 4 cans of the red ale.

"ba1980" post=293517 said:

I have yet to brew this, but planned on it being good so I bought 4 cans of the red ale.

Where, where, where did you find them?

I found some cans on amazon of all places, about a month ago. Just wish I had the funds to buy more :(

Just now saw your post. I got them from Mr. B after they sent me a coupon.

I'm finally brewing it this weekend.

ba1980, are you using the original MrBeer Bewitched Red Ale or the CMB Bewitched Amber Ale? Reason I ask is that I don't have any of the old but do have acan of the CMB and would love to try a Scottish Wee Heavy.

Guest System Admin

He said it was based on BRA and there's no replacement. BAA isn't the same brew at all.

Guest System Admin

No problem, man!

There's a lot of stuff to digest in here.

I really spend waaaaaaay too much time on this forum.

This recipe may be dead for Mr. Beer but there is still a way to brew it. If anyone is interested. :evil:

I used 1 tablespoon schnapps at brewing and will likely add another 1 or 2 tablespoons after primary since I couldn't taste it at all in the hydro sample.

mrblase, wings is correct, I used the BRA.

"LouieMacGoo" post=314060 said:

This recipe may be dead for Mr. Beer but there is still a way to brew it. If anyone is interested. :evil:

Pay attention to the "ICON" folks....

The BRA has been reincarnated in a howling new can.

I made this today with modifications and hope that it comes out well.

Since I don't have and BRA and did not want to order from the :evil: I used a TBM Canadian Red Ale refill plus the LME, booster, brown sugar and butterscotch schnapps. Well the OG came out at 1.09 I guess due to TBM refill being 2.5 lbs of dry HME.

According to QBrew the FG should be 1.02 and the ABV would be at 9%. Wow that's wee bit on the heavy side for sure. I'm looking forward (in about 3 months) to tasting this brew. :chug:

I may have to grab some BRA at the local store that still has a small supply of the old Mrb stuff. I remember this one as not having the butterscoth I was looking for (added just one miniature of butterscotch schnaps) but definitely got better with age. After one or two months - not too good, cant explain why but it seemed green even though it probably wasn't. After a few more months MUCH better.

If I see any more of the BRA I can grab if for peeps if they want. They sell ALL old stuff for 14.99 per pack whether it is the ones with booster or the two can packs.

Cheers
jeff