Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
redchuck1964

New refill kit w/o booster

I'll start out my posting career here on the forums with a question that has probably been asked before. My apologies for looking dumb right off the bat(I normally conceal my stupidity for at least a small amount of time). I've been using a Mr. Beer kit for a couple of years and purchased a refill kit at a local store the other day. I noticed the packaging was different but what really has me thrown for a loop is the fact that the kit did not come with booster and the instructions did not mention the need for booster(it was mentioned as an option). What is the beer(Oktoberfest) going to turn out like without it, and what would be the benefit or harm in adding it? Like I said, I've made 3 or 4 batches using the kit that had booster in it before and they all turned out very well. I feel like I'm going out on a limb by not using it. Thanks for any input.

You can make this one straight up or you could add a 1/2 pack of booster to add additional ABV or better yet you could add some DME or LME and have a great beer. :gulp:

The company was recently sold, and they revamped the lineup to an all-malt series. You can brew up the can as-is.

I haven't made this one yet, so hopefully someone else can come along and give you a short review.

Hi Redchuck,

Welcome to the forum, post-wise, at least.

The new refills are 'all-malt' when prepared as is, and that's considered to be superior in quality to the old refills with malt and booster combined.

It's always a matter of taste, and most people here generally find the new standard refills to be a little 'watery' as is. Like they say, you can always feel free to add some booster or more malt. The malt is the preferred choice.

They also have an upgraded 'Craft Series' of refills with more malt than the standard ones, which is better, but some folks still like a little extra malt even in that one. Then there's the 'Deluxe Series' which actually comes bundled with some extra malt.

Hi Red--- Welcome
The new C-MRB recipes are quite different. All malt. No 'real' need for booster anymore.
The OVL is actually quite good 'as is'. So brew it with no additions and find out if 'you' like it.

I make the recipe with exactly 2 gal of water, not filled to any line on the LBK.

I made it as a real lager with lager yeast. Quite good.
I suspect when brewed with the CMRB Ale yeast it will be good also.

Welcome Red.

I started brewing in march.

The first can I tried was the old style. I found it too watery and since have always added a malt extract of some sort.

Right now, I have the new can of Bohemian Pilsner with Barley LME and the new can of Aztec Cervesa with Light LME.

I will let you know how mine turn out.

Anyways,I avoid the booster like the plague now that I use Malt extract. It's so much better for your beer. Frankly I love the new cans.

RedChuck: welcome to the borg aka "The greatest place for homebrewing information, MB * C/MB * or otherwise"...If you have a local homebrew store in your area you will be able to make some valuable add-on purchases there using CMB refills and the pricing will be a little better for your wallet and they can assist you live with your brewing as well. good luck, hoppy brewing and seize the day. :cheers: