Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
russki

Smoke'm If you Got'm Classic Rauchbier(5-gal)(AG)

So, as I'm doing a D-rest for my Bohemian Pilsner, I couldn't help but think that in a couple weeks I'll have a nice firm cake of Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager yeast. It would be a shame to waste all this yeast, so I figured I would brew another lager.

I've always wanted to make a classic rauchbier (smoked lager), and I think that's what I'm going with. I put together a recipe in Hopville using stuff I have on hand - here's what I'm thinking:

Smoke'm If you Got'm
Classic Rauchbier

Specific Gravity
1.052 OG

Color
12° SRM

Bitterness
23.4 IBU

Malt & Fermentables
% LB OZ
47% 5 0 Best Malz Smoked Malt Mash
47% 5 0 Best Malz Munich Mash
5% 0 8 Melanoidin Malt Mash
1% 0 2 Briess Black Malt, Mash

Hops
Use Time OZ Hop Variety AA » IBU
boil 60 min 1.500 Select Spalt ~ pellet 4.0 » 23.4

Yeast
Wyeast Pilsen Lager (2007) - repitched slurry

I haven't used Best Malz smoked malt before - so I'm going a bit conservative with just under 50%. I'm open to comments/suggestions - please chime in!

:cheers:

50% smoked to 50% non smoked malts makes a good Rauchbier AFAIC, so your numbers look good.
I've just used pilsen malt for the non smoked portion so far so your recipe is a bit maltier and darker than I have made, but it sounds pretty tasty to me.

Sounds like a great use of the yeast cake if you like Rauchbier.

I unfortunately don't like raouchbier. At least every one I've tried, and I've tried a handful just to make sure it wasn't a particular beer. Just don't like smoke in my beer for some reason.

"mashani" post=294459 said:

...I unfortunately don't like raouchbier. At least every one I've tried, and I've tried a handful just to make sure it wasn't a particular beer. Just don't like smoke in my beer for some reason.

That is one of the reasons that I like making my own beer.

Rauchbier is one of those beers that sounded good when I read the style guidelines but when I tried a Schlenkerla I found it to be to much, almost medicinal tasting.

I did try some small additions of cherrywood smoked malt in a couple beers and I liked it.

Then I made a real rauchbier with 50% each rauchmalt and pilsner. Actually a jalapeno smoked beer. Only one other person said they really liked it, most everyone else said it was way too smokey tasting. If I make this again I will do 20-25% rauchmalt instead. But I do plan to make a straight rauchbier as well.

Another style that I thought sounded good was Strong Scotch Ale, but the versions I found at Bevmo seemed thin and lacking. I made my own recipe with an oak addition and got a nice thick 9.0 ale.

When I taste commercial beers I don't think that is the only way that style can turn out. If the style description sounds good I wonder how I would make it for my palate.

Maybe I'll brew one with just a TINY bit of smoke like I'd use spice, and see what I think of that.

"mashani" post=294739 said:

Maybe I'll brew one with just a TINY bit of smoke like I'd use spice, and see what I think of that.

Mashani - I've made a couple beers with smoked malt - a porter and an amber, and I think that smoked malt works great with dark roasted flavors of a porter. I would suggest using beechwood-smoked rauchmalt vs. stronger cherrywood smoked malt. For a 5-gallon batch, use a couple pounds for a nice background smoky flavor that's not overpowering. Here's my Smoked Porter recipe - it's very tasty and a great "introductory" smoked beer (note that I ended up doing it as AG - see the last post in there). That porter with some BBQ ribs is heavenly.
:stout:

"mashani" post=294739 said:

The first time I used it I steeped 1 oz in a Mr. Beer sized extract batch.

Getting ready to brew this one tonight - just have to stop at the store after work and pick up some spring water.

I'm torn between brewing this as is, or subbing light munich for vienna (have both on hand) I wonder if maltier flavor of munich malt would work better with the smoke. Anyone wants to help me decide?

I don't know about the smoke, but I have not found a beer where I didn't like a bit of Munich added to it.

I don't know if it is something that you might consider, but when I have found smoked malts to be overpowering, or even medicinal in taste, I took my wort (using various recipes, and at various times) and actually smoked it for several hours in my electric smoker. It did not overpower the beer, and actually added what I thought to be the perfect amount of smoke to my rauchbiers. Perhaps it is simply my personal taste, but I found this method to work rather well. Cheaper too.

"mashani" post=297405 said:

I don't know about the smoke, but I have not found a beer where I didn't like a bit of Munich added to it.

Ok...you talked me into it... Munich it was... Just finishing the boil now.

Ended up with an OG of 1.056 - and the whole house smelled like bacon. Surprisingly, wort didn't taste very smoky. Split the wort between two LBKs and pitched about a cup of Pilsner slurry into each, oxygenated with O2, and into the fermentation fridge @50F they went.

Bottled tonight - FG: 1.016. Tasted like bacon in the glass. Mmm... BACON! Looking forward to trying this one carbed and lagered!

I look forward to hearing your final results. I've got five pounds of Briess cherry wood smoked malt that's not getting any fresher. Was planning on using the whole thing until I heard how strong it is; might have to give some of it away once I open the bag.

"oly" post=310315 said:

I look forward to hearing your final results. I've got five pounds of Briess cherry wood smoked malt that's not getting any fresher. Was planning on using the whole thing until I heard how strong it is; might have to give some of it away once I open the bag.

I've brewed a killer smoked porter with Briess cherry wood smoked malt - 1# per LBK batch (I posted the link to the recipe a few posts up). It could have used even a bit more. Maybe a good way to use some of that malt - it is pretty potent for a Rauchbier IMHO.

I've also done a smoked porter using Yazoo's recipe for GABF silver medal winning Sue. I really enjoy Linus' version, and I enjoyed my version as well. It doesn't come anywhere near rauchbier levels of smokiness (cherrywood smoked malt was 11% of the bill - .75lb for a Mr. B sized batch), but it adds a nice smoky flavor to the porter.

recipe

I've been itching to make a rauch, but, to be honest, I'm itching to make a lot of styles, so I don't know when I'll get around to it. Keep us posted... I'm interested to see how this turns out.

"mashani" post=331514 said:

It looks very tasty. I'm still scared of it.

Me too, but just a little.

[attachment=10903]scared_2013-02-05.jpg[/attachment]