Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Screwy Brewer

Download Screwy's November 2012 qBrew Database Now

This month I've added even more items for every level of brewer from first time brewer to the most advanced there's something new for everyone. This month I've included four exciting new recipes and 10 ingredients made available from Mr. Beer/Coopers. The hops additions are many this month too, lots of new hops added and greatly expanded hopping descriptions for them all.

Guest System Admin

Awe-some! I just DL'ed the new file and all the upgrades are there.

I love QBrew. Thanks for keeping it up to date and relevant, Vince.

Super thanks for that.

A question:

What volume size should I be using for an LBK filled to about a quarter inch above the 8.5 level?

My latest brew measured 1.074 OG, yet the Screwy results come out higher than that. To get it down to 1.074, I have to make the batch size 2.7 gallons

I'm bumping this back to top because I'm wondering what my volume should be for LBKs on the Screwy program.

It was 2.13 gal, but I think might be wrong.

I use 2.13 gallons but the best way is to fill a quart or half gallon container with water, counting how many are used to fill the LBK to the level you'll be targeting. I think 2.4 gallons is about the most it'll hold and still leave room for fermentation.

You know that once you enter an ingredient, from the database, you can adjust it up or down and the new values will remain saved in your recipe. I do this a lot especially when using hop additions since the Alpha values change with each purchase I make.

If you're getting higher OG numbers just knock a point or two off of an ingredient, say instead of 1.036 change it to 1.035, and see how close you can come to the actual gravity. Like hops extracts and grains will vary from supplier to supplier a little bit but by playing with the recipe numbers you can dial the OG in accurately and then save the new numbers to the database if they're consistently better.

"Screwy Brewer" post=295760 said:

I use 2.13 gallons but the best way is to fill a quart or half gallon container with water, counting how many are used to fill the LBK to the level you'll be targeting. I think 2.4 gallons is about the most it'll hold and still leave room for fermentation.

You know that once you enter an ingredient, from the database, you can adjust it up or down and the new values will remain saved in your recipe. I do this a lot especially when using hop additions since the Alpha values change with each purchase I make.

If you're getting higher OG numbers just knock a point or two off of an ingredient, say instead of 1.036 change it to 1.035, and see how close you can come to the actual gravity. Like hops extracts and grains will vary from supplier to supplier a little bit but by playing with the recipe numbers you can dial the OG in accurately and then save the new numbers to the database if they're consistently better.

Great... that helps a lot. I was getting 1.094 as the OG on the recipe when the actual was more like 1.074. Next time a fermenter is freed up, I'll do the measure of volume to the fill line and then tweek the ppg to make it come out to 1.074. Thanks for the reply

:think: I have tried to download this and it still will not go I am not very computer savy I have been able to dl the original qbrew but not the updates with Mr Beer. I have tried a few times (7).
I have qbrew 0.4.1 on the computer right now but it doesn't have the MB stuff.
I renamed the file
unzipped screwys it gave me a list of 4 recipes and a blank top file but when I try to open one of the recipes it says that the file will not open in adobe b/c it says it is not supported

What am I doing wrong, I know it is most likely operator error, but don't know where the problem starts or how to fix it. :think: :think:
Thanks

Edit: after playing with it a little I figured it out I needed to give it more time I guess