Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Beerisme

Canadian Draft PM Question

I have had this can of HME of Canadain Draft for awhile now and have never tried it before.
Since it has been on my self waiting for the day to be thorwn into my wort pot is there any suggestions on what to use to freshen it up a bit? Dont want to change it just get it back to where it belongs so to speak. I have a brew day planned to make a nutty oak brown and wanted to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. This extract brew and an all grain in 1 day fun fun.
You guys have not let me down before and have always recieved great advice.

Personally, I think the HCCD is nothing like a real Canadian beer (Molson Canadian, Labatt Blue, Moosehead). When I made it, it came with a Pale Export UME and when I drank it, it reminded me more of a marzen than a Canadian - it was on the darker side and pretty malty.

My reco would be to use 1 to 1.5 lbs of Amber DME coupled with some bittering hops in your boil......say a Hallertauer, Saaz or Tettnanger for about 30 to 45 minutes. Marzen's don't have much (if any) flavor or aroma hops...it's all about the malt. You do probably need to offset the malt addition with some bittering and I suppose you could use Golden Light rather than Amber as well.

:borg:

Here is one recipe I have working
High Country Canadian Draft Gold Honey

1 HCCD
1# Golden Light Dry DME
STEEP
2 oz Cara-Pils
2.7 oz Honey Malt
40 oz water Steep at 165* 55 min mini-mash
YEAST 3 MRB Ori hydrated
HOPS
.39 oz Columbus 30 min
.25 Northern Brewers 15min
Filled LBK to Q line overfill
OG 1.041 ADD HONEY 7DAYS 8 oz

and another - Gone

High County Canadian Draft + Amber UME
HCCD
Amber UME
Yeast 7g COOPERS Re-hydrate
HOPS
Glacier .89 oz 40 min
Willamette .25oz 5 min
OG 1.040 @ 68*
Added water to Q line for 9 qts 2.24 gal
FG 1.012 Good hop flavor but mellowed over time

I have 3 or 4 more HCCD recipes I can share if desired.
I never make the same one twice :)

Thanks, would love to see them. The ones above sound very good.
Looking at the grains that Mr. Beer adds to HCCD; pale, caramel, chocolate, vienna
and munich, I was hoping to come up with a steeping combo to add to make up for body and watery effect that all the extracts seems to have without over powering what the extract taste like. After this batch would love to try one of yours. I have 2 LBK and I love having something in them at all times.

Guest System Admin

Ahhh. You're not looking to add hops but rather add body and improve head. Got it.

OK if you don't want to mess with color then steep 4 to 8 Oz of CaraPils (or Dextrin).

If you want to add some color as well as body/head then steep 4 to 8 oz of CaraRed.

If you already have both on hand then use 4 oz of each in the steep.

I recently made HCCD with Light DME and about 16oz of Honey. I let it ferment for 15 days (I just started doing hydro measurements with the batch after this). I bottled it and its been three weeks and I just tasted and it is soooo not ready.

I was not sure if it needed to ferment more (which is what prompted me starting to use a hydrometer) or if it just needs to sit in bottles more. I think I also filled the bottles too high I think..