Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
reduno

Octoberfest Issue

I brewed an Oct fest using one can of Oct fest, one can of Golden Wheat and I did a partial with some Cara munich II grains for some body. I ended with a gravity of 1010. I fermented it for just under 3 weeks. I bottled it with 2 tspns of sugar. Now a month later, even though the bottles are very tight, the beer is basically not carbed at all. I've had them carbing for a month yet it still has not really carbed and it tastes rather flat as well as not much taste.

Anyone have any ideas what I may have done? If there's anything at this point I can do to help it?

thx

What temperature have they been stored at? How hard are the plastic bottles if that's what you used?

I had fermented at between 62-70 degrees but they were carbed at room temp, like all my beers (that ALWAYS carb ok). Even after cooling to the 40's, still nothing. The plastic bottles are as hard as all the other beers I've made.

I'm assuming I did something wrong in the fermentation and/or brewing process since I used some grain too.

Nothing you did in the fermenting process would have affected the carb levels.

What comes to mind immediately:
- Is that the right amount of priming sugar? How big were your bottles? I haven't bottle primed in a while so I can't tell you if that should be tsp or tbsp.
- Are you 100% sure that the bottles have a good seal? You can have rock hard bottles that leak CO2

"Kealia" post=295913 said:

Nothing you did in the fermenting process would have affected the carb levels.

What comes to mind immediately:
- Is that the right amount of priming sugar? How big were your bottles? I haven't bottle primed in a while so I can't tell you if that should be tsp or tbsp.
- Are you 100% sure that the bottles have a good seal? You can have rock hard bottles that leak CO2

That's my thought as well. The caps for the PET bottles need to be replaced fairly regularly.

Guest System Admin

The caps for the PET bottles need to be replaced fairly regularly.

Like 4 to 5 uses right?

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=296053 said:

The caps for the PET bottles need to be replaced fairly regularly.

Like 4 to 5 uses right?

I've used my caps abou 8-12 times and I am just starting to get some leakage I think as I have started having the same issue on my last 2 brews. The ones i bottled in glass turned out fine but not really the ones in the PET bottles :pound:

I use the PET caps 3 maybe 4 times. I mark them with a MM strip. At the low cost of caps, I will buy new ones. So far I only had a few that lost carb levels.

Thx guys. I'm sure the sugar was ok as I used 2 tspns per 1 liter bottle. But I'm now worried about the bottle caps. I've used them at least 4 times so I guess that may be where I've gone wrong tho, to me, a tight seal is a tight seal, but what do I know?

I have a question along this vein as well. I brewed a batch of Octoberfest completely per the instructions, no added grains or anything. Fermentation and all seemed to go smoothly. I use glass bottles as opposed to the PET, and add my priming sugar to the bottles instead of batch priming. On this go around I purchased some priming sugar at a local homebrew supply store as opposed to just using granulated sugar from the grocery store as I have in the past. Last night I tried my first bottle from the new batch, this after 10 days of conditioning. The flavor was spot on, but its carbonation level was well below par. I noticed this immediately when I popped the cap, first sample out of the bottle confirmed and when I poured it into a glass there was basically no head. I'm just wondering if I somehow goofed by using the priming sugar instead of granulated considering that I bottle primed instead of batch primed. Anyone experience anything of this sort? The other side of this is that it has been only 10 days and maybe it just needs more time, and I guess it is always possible that the bottle I plucked out and tried first could have been the one out of the bunch that comes out flat.

"redchuck1964" post=297677 said:

...The other side of this is that it has been only 10 days and maybe it just needs more time....

Bingo! The results obtained using corn sugar vs. cane sugar is slight, at best. More time is most likely what you need.

My Oktoberfest had little head after 3 weeks in the bottle, and it seemed to be under carbed. When I tried another tester, one week later, all was fine. Time usually heals all wounds, carb or otherwise.