Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creativewoody

My rookie mistake with bottle wand

Ok...

So I was really excited about buying my bottle wand for filling and batch priming.

I'm getting the bottles out this week... my buddy is over and then he mentions..

"don't you need a siphon and tubing to use that thing?"

.....DOH!!!

Actually, you don't. So smack your friend in the head for me, willya?

It might take a little bit of tubing to make it fit properly on the LBK spigot, but I and others have done it.

That's for bottle priming. For batch priming, you need at least some tubing to rack to a priming vessel, although now that I've got an auto-siphon, I use that. But the bottling wand (with a bit of tubing) also fits on the priming bucket spigot.

No, I take that back. If you arrange the level of the LBK and the priming vessel, you can make it work without tubing. Also, the bottling wand I use comes apart, so it's just a tube. You can drain it directly into the priming bucket that way.

Ain't no big thang, and your friend is just a buzz-kill. :lol:

Not necessarily. My bottle wand attaches right to the spigot of the LBK and I can bottle without transferring (siphon and hose) to another vessel. That, however, is still in concert with bottle priming.

Now if you are looking at batch priming, I believe it is best to siphon to another vessel with your priming solution for a better distribution.

To date, I have not used a siphon for transfers. I simply attach my hose to the spigot and let gravity do its thing.

Rick

Well, no , IF it is the MRB auto-fill bottling wand.
If your batch prime bucket is another MRB keg or a slimline or another bucket with a bottom tap.

The wand is attached to the spigot tap of the keg or bucket.

IF you are using a prime bucket with NO tap on the bottom - then Yes you need a siphon and tubing.. I suspect that might be messy. I have always batch primed and bottled from the LBK or a slim-line

Not to contradict you, Rick, but I've seen pictures of one of the Borg members who sets his LBK on a counter, with the bottling wand attached, and another LBK on a chair or stand or something just below it. The bottom of the wand barely touches the bottom of the empty LBK, and the transfer goes smoothly, with pretty much no aeration. It's just gravity doing the work instead of needing a siphon to start the transfer.

hmmm.

me thinks my wand does not fit the new spigot

thus the problem.

egads.

will need to get tubing and auto siphon in future.

I do it exactly as The Hat is describing. The bottom part of my wand comes off to make it just a tube. I set the priming vessel...another LBK...on a tv table below the counter where the primary is and the wand acts as my transfer tube. Gravity is a wonderful thing.
Then, once its all transferred, I just reattach the the bottom part of the wand and bottle away.

"FedoraDave" post=296258 said:

Not to contradict you, Rick, but I've seen pictures of one of the Borg members who sets his LBK on a counter, with the bottling wand attached, and another LBK on a chair or stand or something just below it. The bottom of the wand barely touches the bottom of the empty LBK, and the transfer goes smoothly, with pretty much no aeration. It's just gravity doing the work instead of needing a siphon to start the transfer.

Yes that is how I do it. I should post some pictures. Works great no tubing mess or accident waiting to happen.

I had to use boxes to shim the kegs for the correct height.

"FedoraDave" post=296258 said:

I never thought about using my bottling wand for transferring like that. I pretty much do the same thing with my hose, although it is long enough that I can keep my kegs on the floor. When I naturally carbonate my kegs, I position the hose along the side of the keg so I get a nice circular motion during the transfer in hopes to aid in the mixing with the priming solution.

Rick

The older wands did not have any tubing. The new (current last I knew) wands have a little 1-2" piece of tubing to connect the wand to the spigot. This solved the problem some people were having of the wand just falling out of the spigot.