Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Connie

Sticky Wicket

I plan on brewing this up today and I was able to find the original recipe. My question is should I brew as is (first time for this HME) or should I add either a LME or a DME to it. If the answer is yes I have picked out a Golden LME, or a Smooth DME which one would be best?

Are you using the original MRB 2-can HME kit?
If so then there is really no need to add the LME. Assume you are using both cans.
I have not used the new LME packs. If you wanted to add one I would use the darker. The malt addition will bump ABV a bit and add some body.

If you are using one can, then yes you should. However the hop to malt profile is based on 2 TWO cans of HME.
With one can, and added LME 8oz you will obtain a beer with less hop flavor and in this case a thinner beer due to the lack of malt.
Original HME 1.21 pnd the LME packs are 8 oz.
I will assume you are not adding any hops to this recipe.

Guest System Admin

"Connie" post=296253 said:

I plan on brewing this up today and I was able to find the original recipe. My question is should I brew as is (first time for this HME) or should I add either a LME or a DME to it. If the answer is yes I have picked out a Golden LME, or a Smooth DME which one would be best?

Did this one a while back, and used two cans of the original MB HME and added 1/2 lb of Amber DME as I didn't have Dark HME at the time. It turned out really good. Remember to let this beer condition for a min of two months before putting into fridge. The longer you condidtion stouts the better they get IMHO.

Welcome to the borg Connie.....Nice pic, is that a Fat Bob? My wife and I have our own bikes. A Sporty Custom and a Softail Standard.

It is a StreetBob and I love it. I got it back in 07 we ride when ever we get the chance. DH has an Electric Glide and one of our sons have a StreetGlide