Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jen_New2Brew

What happens to the hops?

I was checking out a recipe that another member is considering for API IPA and it calls for the addition of hops. After reading the instructions I do not see anything that calls for straining them out. Do they disintegrate?

Hello - Yes they melt into the trub, but I prefer to use a sanitized hop sack. You put them in there & tie the top so you can capture the excess.
If you're adding alot, use a hop sack. Cheers :chug:

Some folks put the hops in a little sack, like a tea bag, and then pull out the sack when done boiling. Some even leave the sack in with the wort when it goes to fermenter.

Some folks just dump the hops in without a sack, and then leave them there, obviously. They will settle to the bottom of the fermenter in the trub layer during the fermenting period. Cold crashing gives an extra assist to settling and packing down the trub, including hops, before bottling.

It's a matter of choice.

Oh I forgot. At Wal-Mart I got T-Balls. Great during the boil. This is a real big one as you can see. Holds about a ton of hops. :laugh:
[attachment=9358]tea-ball-chain-lg_2012-11-13.jpg[/attachment]

It's a personal choice how you do your hop additions. Some use a hop sack, some use a tea ball, some throw them in "commando", and some have constructed a "hop spider", made from long carriage bolts attached to a PVC pipe with a nylon paint strainer clamped onto it. This is what I use, and I love it! Keeps the hop particles all together and allows the wort to boil through very thoroughly, and it's reusable.

If you're going to use a sack or a tea ball, make sure there's enough room for the hop pellets to expand, as they will during the boil. You want the wort to be able to circulate well through them.

I've never used a hop sack and have never had any floaties in my beer.

Of course I always transfer into a bottling bucket using an auto-siphon, which leaves almost all solids behind. Then when I bottle I don't completely drain the bottling bucket, so I'm left with MAYBE less than 1% of the solids in the bottle, which when I pour the beer gets left behind in the bottle. So far so good. :)

I had wondered as well what happened to the hops.. Good to know for the future so I don't have a freak out if I add hops without a bag or filter of any kind.

I'm with Gymrat in that I use a hop sack for my hop boils and more importantly, for dry hopping. I had a clogged bottling wand when I did a commando dry hop (just putting the hops in without any sack or tea ball). I didn't find it worth the agrevation to clean the wand out and hassle with bottling. So now I always use a hop sack.

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=296740 said:

I currently use hop sacks as well but I'm going to build a hop spider one of these weekends.

Seriously......Click HERE

It won't take you any time at all to build it, and you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

I use gymrats method. It gets most of the crud out, plus it does a great job of aerating the wort at the same time.

+1 to the strainer. I use pellets and throw them in commando. Only ever had a problem one time with them plugging the spigot on my turkey fryer. Maybe I've just been lucky. I keep a sanitized "poker stick" handy just in case.

Yep, hop spyder works great. I use it when I have more then 1/2 oz of hops to add over multiple drops.

I also use a small hand strainer (fine mesh) to swish around in the wort during the cooling phase. It removes any free hops and free fines from steep grains. Adds to the aeration better then a slotted spoon plus helps with the faster cool down.

Since I transfer my wort from brewpot to carboy with an auto-siphon, I'm not transferring many particles anyway.

This is a good thread, if only because it lets Jen experience the truism that if you ask ten homebrewers a question, you're going to get about two dozen answers! :laugh:

When using pellet hops I always bag them and then remove them before transferring the wort to the fermentor.

When using whole hops I scoop them out using a large stainless steel strainer so that I don't have to deal with plugged up lines and valves.

Funny, I too was wondering the same thing, hadn't gotten to hops yet but know I will. Good thing I tend to search around some before I dive in and ask. Thanks Jen and borg for answering my unasked question!

P.S. Think I'm gonna build up that hop spider just because. At this point, I may need to build up a brewers tool box too.

"FedoraDave" post=296827 said:

Since I transfer my wort from brewpot to carboy with an auto-siphon, I'm not transferring many particles anyway.

Truth is, I have way more trouble keeping the gunk from the hot/cold breaks out of the fermenter. I just recently read I have to make a whirlpool?? :blink:

"alb" post=296902 said:

"FedoraDave" post=296827 said:

Truth is, I have way more trouble keeping the gunk from the hot/cold breaks out of the fermenter. I just recently read I have to make a whirlpool?? :blink:
Making a whirlpool helps a lot, not just in getting the crud to pile in the center of the pot, but in cooling the wort faster, as well.

In addition to using an ice bath for LBK batches, and an ice bath + immersion chiller for my fivers, I stir them constantly. Makes sense, since the moving liquid allows more of the wort molecules to come into contact with the cooler stuff, and makes transfer of heat more efficient.

This was a Public Service Announcement brought to you my Mr. Science and The Philanthropic Council to Make Things Nicer.

Guest System Admin

Don't forget the letters F and U.

LOL

Sorry....I could not stop myself after I read "This was a Public Service Announcement brought to you my Mr. Science and The Philanthropic Council to Make Things Nicer. " You see, I have this innate need to turn everything into a crude joke. I'll be leaving now.

PSAs from the Philanthropic Council to Make Things Nicer is a tag line Bob and Ray used on their great radio program. I like the sound of it, so I've hijacked it.