Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
thomaso827

Cowboy Lager a Bit Flat

I made up a batch of the Cowboy Lager, 2 weeks in the LBK and now 5 weeks lagered in the refrigerator. My target date to get it out is December 7th, at a two-month mark, but we decided to open one up last night to see how it's going. Taste is pretty much what we were hoping for, but there was no head to speak of, just a little bit of bubbling. Not exactly flat, but not what I've had with my ales and such. This is my first attempt at cold lagering, so I wasnt sure if this is normal or not. 3 12-oz bottles are earmarked for my office christmas party on the 14th of December while the rest is bottled in 24-oz bottles for enjoyment by the wife and me. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom Oxley

ya,,,,,2 weeks at around 70* is a min to get good carb.

If using a lager yeast, you would still want to be above 45* +?? for good carbing.

yes, all beers wheither or not they are "lagers" or ales they need room temp to carb correctly, anyway you may wanna try three weeks to carb. some beers just take longer to carb and condition. no one knows why. so the only thing i can tell ya is to pull them out of the fridge and let'm go for another week or two. sorry :(

When Mr. Beer speaks of "lagering" they do so irrespective of whether one is using an ale or lager yeast. An ale as mentioned will need to be somewhere around the typical room's temperature depending on how high you crank your thermostat (mine usually sits at 66 this time of year, maybe 68-70 if SWMBO "asks"). A lager yeast will need to be on the cool side. However, most refigerators are set well below what the lager yeast wants to pass gas and make alcohol, and thus they will go to sleep. The beer however can be safely removed from the fridge and put in the yeast's comfort zone and they will wake up and start fizzifying (

Thanks. I missed the period at room temp. I'll take them out and to the basement for a bit. Dont think I have spoiled anything yet, but glad I checked.

Tom Oxley

Guest System Admin

Yes, good catch Tom. Bottling and then putting them right in the fridge isn;t going to let them carb up or condition properly.

In the future just ignore the term "Lager" on any MrB recipe unless you are using lager yeast and actually fermenting at lower temps.

Yooper, we need to start a Borg slang page and add this term (fizzifying) as the first entry!

I've got the Spring special Lager that I'm planning to start soon, having kept the yeast packet in the refrigerator. I'm sure it was a lager yeast that came with it, but will double check before making that same mistake. The wife said she actually liked the Cowboy Lager better a bit flat. Will have to leave a bottle out to un-fiz (another good technical term - or is it de-fiz?) for her.

Tom Oxley

"thomaso827" post=297397 said:

I've got the Spring special Lager that I'm planning to start soon, having kept the yeast packet in the refrigerator. I'm sure it was a lager yeast that came with it, but will double check before making that same mistake. The wife said she actually liked the Cowboy Lager better a bit flat. Will have to leave a bottle out to un-fiz (another good technical term - or is it de-fiz?) for her.

you should think about it this way, if the instructions say this: 3. Add 2 ½ teaspoons (tsp) of white granulated sugar to each 1-liter bottle, that is 2 and 1/2 teaspoons, ok. ok, now instead of putting that amount in each bottle, take a few bottles and put a little less in each bottle and then let it carb to that.

in my way of thinking, it does take a while for anything to get less 'fuzzy' but it is easier to carb to a lower or higher degree than to de carb. then you can either let the beer warm up or keep it cooler, to your wifes tastes.

also, do not forget to take notes on this, so that next time you brew for the wiffy, you can get the carb right. :cheers: :cheers: