Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chance drums

simple question on conditioning

:borg: I just brewed up some spicy christmas ale. Even though it technically is an ale, can I condition in the fridge or would it be better conditioned at room temperature? ANYONE with experience with this brew or one similars response would be great....I am hoping I can wait the whole 2 months minimum asked for conditioning ti :laugh: :drinking: me
Chance

"mashani" post=297669 said:

I'd condition at room temp.

+1. Ale yeast is going to hibernate and not do anything below a certain temperature (most likely below 60 degrees or so). Thus, your ale really wouldn't be conditioning if you refrigerated it. No changes would be taking place, as the cold sort of puts things in suspended animation.

When you cold crash a newly fermented beer (put it in the refrigerator) the yeast fall out of solution and sink the the bottom of the fermentor. Once they do that they are no longer able to convert any of the flavor precursors created during fermentation and your beer will end up with a higher amount of off flavors. For the cleanest tasting beer condition it in the fermentation temperature range and then cold crash in the refrigerator just prior to kegging.

Put it the back of the pantry, and try to forget about it for awhile. Drink other beer to kill the time!