Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jen_New2Brew

Gooey Crystal looking things .....

I searched the forum and have not found any threads regarding my issue. Very very new brewer and bottled my first batch yesterday then decided to make another batch of brew. Added the HME for BBA and a pack of booster to the hot water and had to stir forever with a whisk because gooey looking crystal clumps appeared. After an hour of stirring 98% of the crystal thingies melted but I still ended up throwing out a couple of small chunks of gooey crystal looking muck. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Did I do something wrong?

"Jen_New2Brew" post=297834 said:

...Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Did I do something wrong?

Perfectly normal. That Booster can be is always a booger. Using a wisk helps.

Edit: In the past, I have added a little at a time. I finally gave up on that method, and I started dumping in all the booster - all at once. Then all you have to do is stir until your arm falls off. It is the nature of the beast.

The instructions will have you adding the Booster first, mix well, bring to boil, remove from heat, AND THEN add the HME. This method will most likely work better for you.

Guest System Admin

@Jen,

If you had the HME on the stove for an hour......did it never boil?

Agree with Packer....next time just dissolve the Booster (or LME if it's a deluxe) in water first, boil for a couple minutes, turn off heat and then add the HME.

@ Wings - -

The HME did not boil but did start to cool down, at which time I turned my burner on low to keep it warm in hopes that the gunk would melt.....

I will follow your input for my next brew...Thanks!!!

Guest System Admin

You should be fine then. I never did like booster - too hard to dissolve that stuff.

the gooey crystal looking things are most likely undissolved booster.

I had read that the booster dissolves better in cold water, I've tried it both ways and my arm falls off either way. My new plan on dealing with the booster is to not deal with it at all, my next 3 recipes don't include it.

:chug:

grrr hated booster.

New cans are better and I switch to using dextrose instead (dissolves way faster)or straight malt.

Warm water ...dump booster in....wisk your butt off...

"Patsguy" post=297886 said:

...My new plan on dealing with the booster is to not deal with it at all, my next 3 recipes don't include it. :chug:

"Creativewoody" post=297890 said:

...New cans are better and I switch to using dextrose instead (dissolves way faster)or straight malt...

I'm with you fellers. ;)

"Jen_New2Brew" post=297893 said:

So does it make any sense at all for me to be adding booster to craft series brews? I am making the Winter Dark today....

Only if you desire to bump the alcohol level. Otherwise, don't bother.

I made the winter dark 3 weeks ago, but did the deluxe which was a package of robust LME instead of booster, tasted yesterday and bottling tonight. (my arm didn't fall off!)

"Jen_New2Brew" post=297893 said:

So does it make any sense at all for me to be adding booster to craft series brews? I am making the Winter Dark today....

if you do want a boost in alcohol go with DME or LME instead. You'll get more body to it and will probably taste better than putting booster in.

I stayed away from booster after my first batch tasted "thin".

Liquid Malt Extract or Dry Malt Extract has given me far better results.

Good morning, I was given advice by the folks at Mr Beer, I no longer use the Booster, instead I use the LME in place of booster. If I want to bump up the ABV I use the booster and the LME. I always have hated dissolving the booster.

I have a can of the Czech HME that came with my kit.... would the booster be good for something like that? I have like 50 packs of booster thanks to a family that wants my beer...

I would not add the booster to the Winter Dark. Many of us have already seen it produce a krausen overflow without additional sugars to enjoy. It has a decent ABV without additions if that is the only reason you want to add it.

I have a can of the Czech HME that came with my kit.... would the booster be good for something like that? I have like 50 packs of booster thanks to a family that wants my beer...

You can add them to any of the standard brews if you wish. However, as other has said - LME or DME additions are preferred over boosters. LME and DME add body and flavor as well as boosting the ABV. Booster is basically just boosting ABV.

When I used booster from the old recipes I would put the water on to boil and then whisk the booster in while it was still warming up. The booster would form little balls but I would just stir occasionally while it warmed up. 99% of the time it would be dissolved before it came to a boil. The only time it wouldn't dissolve by boil time is when the booster was in a solid block in the bag.

Guest System Admin

Duff, I actually used this method as well upon advice of the Borg back when I used booster. I agree that it worked pretty well. A whisk was very helpful too....better than a spoon.

"Jen_New2Brew" post=297903 said:

they want FREE beer