Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
willsr

NWPA and Diablo IPA Hop Aroma Expectation Gap

I have read several of the reviews of these beers and one of the recurring comments is that people are not getting a lot of hop aroma from following the recipe straight up. I wanted to get a discussion going to see it it is really a fair expectation that these refills or any recipe for that matter have a strong hop aroma without dry hopping.

In my experience with Mr. Beer, about a year's worth and about 50 batches, adding hops as indicated by Mr. Beer is just wasting hops. Early on I followed the Mr. Beer instructions exactly on my first IPA attempts by adding the hops during the wort creation. I had some bitter, but no appreciable hop aroma in any of these beers. And for me, hop aroma, makes the IPA. I can take or leave the bitter backbone, it is far secondary in importance to the flavor/aroma.

Well, I started dry hopping after two weeks of fermentation (well after primary fermentation was complete), leaving the hops in the beer for about one week. Low and behold, lots of hop aroma coming through in the beer.

I don't know if there is 100% agreement out in the world on this, but it appears that CO2 is fairly good at stripping out the aromas during fermentation and thus adding hops pre-primary fermentation will just lead a loss of expected aroma. This works as an explanation for me and certainly matches my observations on the lack of hop aroma when the hops are present during the primary fermentation.

So, having said all that, is it fair to expect Nortwest Pale Ale or Diablo IPA to have much hop aroma (and some diminished flavor because much of our flavor sense is coming from the aroma) brewing straight up per MR. Beer instructions?

Maybe, Mr. Beer should set our expectations a bit better by suggesting that we dry hop and selling the refills with the appropriate hops as well?

I have centennial and centurion hops and LME. Would these be ok to add to Northwest or Diablo Craft series? Do I add the hops straight to the keg after a week or two?

Edit.... Centennial and Columbus hops..... Can I use the Columbus hops in the Diablo and the Centennial in the Northwest?

Yes.

I think those hops would work fine in those beers.

That said, I am likely going to put Centennial AND Columbus into my Diablo when I brew it, maybe some cascades in the Northwest, although I may brew that one straight up based on reviews just to see what it is.

"mashani" post=298100 said:

Yes.

I think those hops would work fine in those beers.

Agree.

Yeah you can't really get a stronger hop aroma than dry hopping.
Anything else is going to be underwhelming if you expecting a nice hoppy aroma.

Dry hopping is extremely easy too, I don't see why Mr. B doesn't include hops in their kits.

I know it's supposed to be super easy, but how hard is dry hopping really?
And for the amount of aroma and flavor it would add...it's worth it every time.