Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
afd359

Bottling question

First time using this kit. I have had Octoberfest in the keg for 21 days today. I pulled a sample from the tap and it has a somewhat 'vinegar/cider' taste. I tasted it at the 14 day mark as well and it is now way less harsh tasting. I have been brewing this in my basement, (finished basement in the utility room) which holds a pretty consistent temp. Should I bottle this yet? Or should I let it sit in the keg longer?

Thanks!

Welcome to the obsession..
What is the ambient temp in your basement? Should remain between 65-70 for proper fermentation. I usually wait 21 days to bottle..usually safe. Best bet for future brews would be to get a hydrometer to measure OG=Original Gravity and FG=Final gravity. I still have not purchased one, but intend to purchase one in the near future. I would say go ahead and bottle, if your fermentation temps were in the above range.

If it has been in the keg for 21 days go ahead and bottle it, than leave the bottles in your basement for a few more weeks. That off flavor will continue to dissipate while conditioning in the bottles.

:borg: Welcome to the beerborg information center afd359. You will be assimilated. Resistance is quite Futile: WE have BEER.

Yep. bottle that sucker, and let sit for a month at room temp. NOt sure why it has that vinigar/cider taste. The Cider taste could be from adding too much sugar. You didn't mention if you added anything to the Original Mix. The Vinigar taste would indicate a possible infection. Hopefully, it's just your first "thought" on the taste, as the vinigar/cider taste are two seperate items. Hopefully it will settle out. Bottle it and give it a chance. It won't hurt the bottles, and it would be a terrible shame to waste perfectly good young beer. ~ The NONG

Great! I'll bottle it tomorrow and let it sit for a month. The basement temp is about 68 consistently. That's the best way I could describe the taste. Hopefully it will turn out ok! Followed all the directions with sanitizing, etc. Looking forward to drinking this soon!! Thanks for the help.

"afd359" post=298169 said:

Great! I'll bottle it tomorrow and let it sit for a month. The basement temp is about 68 consistently. That's the best way I could describe the taste. Hopefully it will turn out ok! Followed all the directions with sanitizing, etc. Looking forward to drinking this soon!! Thanks for the help.

yep it will condition out, in about 2-4 weeks. possibly longer. after 3 weeks try one and then another one after 4 weeks. you will taste the difference. :cheers:

"Brian1179" post=298271 said:

"afd359" post=298169 said:

yep it will condition out, in about 2-4 weeks. possibly longer. after 3 weeks try one and then another one after 4 weeks. you will taste the difference. :cheers:

I agree. Give it a chance, and be patient. As the man said, 2-4 weeks, and you ought to be just fine. Congrats on making beer!

Just bottled mine today after 3 weeks in the keg. As everyone has said, just be patient and let it do its thing. Although I did have to sample a bit from my keg, and it tasted quite beer-like, just flat.

"afd359" post=298129 said:

First time using this kit. I have had Octoberfest in the keg for 21 days today.

Welcome to the Borg. You seem to have read and learned well already.

Fermented 21 days and are going to condition for a month.

You have learned PATIENCE and are on your way to becoming a great brewer.