Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brian N.

Optimum temperature for chilling ales ??

Is there a particular temperature for chilling an ale before drinking? Does it vary much with the type of ale?

Typical fridge temp to start with...and depending on room temp and how long it takes to drink it.....

"yankeedag" post=298417 said:

Typical fridge temp to start with...and depending on room temp and how long it takes to drink it.....

+1 to this. My mini fridge usually stays at 38 Fahrenheit for both Lagers and Ales. Usually doesn't get much past 45-50 before I get to the bottom of the glass.

Serving Temperature Guide

Very cold (0-4C/32-39F): Any beer you don’t actually want to taste. Pale Lager, Malt Liquor, Canadian-style Golden Ale and Cream Ale, Low Alcohol, Canadian, American or Scandinavian-style Cider.

Cold (4-7C/39-45F): Hefeweizen, Kristalweizen, Kölsch, Premium Lager, Pilsner, Classic German Pilsner, Fruit Beer, brewpub-style Golden Ale, European Strong Lager, Berliner Weisse, Belgian White, American Dark Lager, sweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Duvel-types

Cool (8-12C/45-54F): American Pale Ale, Amber Ale, California Common, Dunkelweizen, Sweet Stout, Stout, Dry Stout, Porter, English-style Golden Ale, unsweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Faro, Belgian Ale, Bohemian Pilsner, Dunkel, Dortmunder/Helles, Vienna, Schwarzbier, Smoked, Altbier, Tripel, Irish Ale, French or Spanish-style Cider

Cellar (12-14C/54-57F): Bitter, Premium Bitter, Brown Ale, India Pale Ale, English Pale Ale, English Strong Ale, Old Ale, Saison, Unblended Lambic, Flemish Sour Ale, Bière de Garde, Baltic Porter, Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Strong Ale, Weizen Bock, Bock, Foreign Stout, Zwickel/Keller/Landbier, Scottish Ale, Scotch Ale, American Strong Ale, Mild, English-style Cider

"yankeedag" post=298430 said:

Nothing like going all testical on us packerduf....

Too funny, 'dag! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I just want to say that it is good to achieve the temperature as provided by the previous guideline but time in fridge is important with naturally carbonated beers. I like my beers to be in the fridge at least 24 hours before drinking but prefer 48+ hours. This allows the yeast to settle out. If you were asking for serving temp ignore this paragraph.

That being said I do like my beers a bit warmer than other people seem to. Mid 50s seem to be good for most that I drink. I don't use frozen or chilled glasses and will frequently let my beer sit a bit before drinking it to let it warm up.

I like to tell my beers that they will sit in the fridge for 48 hours, and then yank them out earlier. It scares the Hops right out of it. Adds to the aroma and flavor. And add that to the horror stories the little bottles of cider tell them...woowah