Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
radonc73

American Classic Light

I bought a couple of the newer MB refills from Sears. It was $20 for a ACL and Pat. Lager. I was thinking of making the ACL nextweekend when I bottle another batch. I have heard to add #1 DME to the mix,going by Qbrew that would give me an OG around 1.046 and an expected FG around 1.011 could I add another # of DME and bring it to OG 1.062 and a FG of 1.015. Would I be over DMEing it by adding the second round of DME?
Thanks in advance

Guest System Admin

IMO that would be a bit much for the beer type. You could do the two pounds along with a hop boil of some type. If it were me I'd do a 1.25 lb of pilsen DME and maybe a 1/2 oz each 7 and 15 min hop boil. I'm sure you'll get more suggestions than just mine on this question.

Guest System Admin

Agree that Pilsen DME (or maybe Golden Light) would work. Normally if you add more than a pound of added malt, you need to offset the maltiness with a hops boil as @stevecon said. I routinely add 1.5 to 1.75 Lb of DME to my base MrB HME's and the beers turn out very well - and I also do hops boils on each and every.

I do have a 1/2 oz of cascades from a few weeks ago that my wife wants me to get out of the fridge door. My LHBS is closed today and tomorrow so Tuesday is the earliest I could do this brew. Most likely wait until Saturday so the wife can keep the kids at bay.

I'm thinking of brewing the Classic American Light and a pound of Golden Light DME along with a hop boil. Any hops suggestions? I have two 1/2 oz MRB packages at home but can't remember what type. I appreciate your thoughts.

thanks. that's not a bad price. too bad there's not sears close nearby here.

Guest System Admin

"Birdman925" post=302208 said:

I'm thinking of brewing the Classic American Light and a pound of Golden Light DME along with a hop boil. Any hops suggestions? I have two 1/2 oz MRB packages at home but can't remember what type. I appreciate your thoughts.

You could do a variation on the Cowgirl Honey Light recipe:

1 Can Classic American Light HME
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (or your choice of yeast)
1 lb. Pilsen or Golden Light DME
1 Packet Saaz or Cascade Pellet Hops
1 Cup Honey
1 Teaspoon Fresh Grated Ginger

If you want the aroma of the hops, go with @7-10 minutes or for flavour go with @20 mins of the boil. Meaning minutes left of course. Just my $0.02 on it. Let us know what you end up going with and how it turns out.

wemt to sears picked up a refill. Thanks for the head's up.