Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrgoblueguy

can i se panty hose for a hop sack?

My wife has some new panties still in the package and I wanted to make some beer today and cant get to a homebrew shop. Can i just cut a pair of them for a hop sack and sanitize them like i normally would if i had a muslin sack? I dont see why I couldnt

LOL!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

I would say if you are dry hopping, maybe! If you are going to use them in a boil I wouldn't try that! They might sink to the bottom and melt!
My two cents! Good luck!

No disrespect meant by the LOL. It just tickled me a little to think about cutting up the wife's pantyhose for that!
It really is thinking outside the box!
Just thought about the grocery store and cheesecloth if need be!

Guest System Admin

I wouldn't use them in a boil either.

But then, I don't think you're asking the right people if you can cut up your WIFE'S panty-hose.

Maybe if you didn't cut them but instead just wadded up the excess and then, when finished, put them back in the package?

Oh. Forgot about this:

:P :laugh: ;) :cheer: :lol: :silly: :evil:

To stay out of the dog house I suggest going to Lowe's/Home Depot and buying a paint strainer bag. They come in 1 gallon and 5 gallon size. The 1 gallon is like $1.98 and will work perfectly. I use them for BIAB and hopping.

Here is a link: Blue Hawk 2-Pack 1 Gallon Strainer

When I first read this thread, I was just wondering if Mrgoblueguy was suicidal or something...but then realized he was serious. Um, you could use one of YOUR socks for it. But the popping into Lowe's is a better idea.
Or, just cold crash after the fermentation...

i would say suicidal. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

unless you went to the store and bought several pairs of the wrong size (for your wife). course, it would be just as easy to go to lowes, home depot, or LHBS to get that stuff.

"Joechianti" post=299134 said:

Even so, I think he should be commended for going with new instead of used in this case.

I agree. Beer normally tastes better before it's filtered through someones kidneys and liver. I don't care How Cute they may be... :blink:

Guest System Admin

You know, normally I try to inject so humor into these types of threads but.......this time........I got nothin'.

I do second the paint strainer bags - I picked up some for doing my steeping and they work excellently.

"Brian1179" post=299082 said:

i would say suicidal. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

unless you went to the store and bought several pairs of the wrong size (for your wife). course, it would be just as easy to go to lowes, home depot, or LHBS to get that stuff.

In this case, would it be wise to buy them too large, or too small?

If your wife finds you buying panty hose.. Is she gonna think you got new girl friends or decided on a wardrobe change this late in life....

"pete rose haircut" post=299267 said:

"Brian1179" post=299082 said:

In this case, would it be wise to buy them too large, or too small?

if it were me i would go with the wrong size. :laugh:

I actually use those little hose/sock things that they give away at shoe stores. Luckily, my girlfriend is an avid shoe shopper and I grab a handful every time I see a box of them sitting out. DSW especially comes to mind- they leave boxes of them all over the store. They are essentially the feet of a pair of panty hose and boil just fine, but I don't mess with them much (squeezing, pressing, etc.) when they are in the boil.

Leave your ladies panties out of it!

"BigRiverBrewer" post=299307 said:

I actually use those little hose/sock things that they give away at shoe stores. Luckily, my girlfriend is an avid shoe shopper and I grab a handful every time I see a box of them sitting out.

eeeew
my sister works at a shoe store and she said alot of people use and return those to the box all the time

Guest System Admin

YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK.
Big River is brewing up "Essence of Feet" beer.

LOLOLOOLLOLLLLLLL

"mrgoblueguy" post=299411 said:

Wow..this is the last time I make a post from my cell phone. i didnt realize some of the errors I made.

Happens all the time. That just makes it more fun.

Guest System Admin

Do you have any "cheese cloth" at home?

I don't know what chemicals the hose is made with and not food rated. So I would not use it

This is getting good, thanks for the great advice. I'll make sure I return all them booties to the shoe store and quit using them, I wondered why all my beer tasted like athletes foot.