Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
PaJim

Chocolate Extract

I want to make a chocolate stout I was wondering if anyone has used chocolate extract to make a chocolate stout if so how much?

Just to be up-front, I haven't made a chocolate stout, but I'm currently fermenting a Chocolate Cherry Porter. The recipe didn't call for anything like chocolate extract, but the chocolate flavor is derived from chocolate malt, which lends not only chocolate flavor, but coffee, toasted, and nutty flavors as well, all of which would be welcome in a stout. These grains don't require mashing, so a 30-minute steep will get you what you want.

You can also use powdered cocoa. Not the instant stuff you use for hot chocolate, but the powdered stuff you would use in baking. I made a Cinnamon Chocolate Oatmeal Stout that is currently conditioning. I've tasted a couple of them. I added 1/4 cup for the last 15 minutes of the boil. Judging by the tastes, which is a touch like a burnt chocolate flavor, I think I would have been better off adding right at flame out making sure that it dissolved fully, which would probably have not given me the burnt flavor. But it's still conditioning so it should get a little better. I have also read on the Borg that others have added it at bottling.

Guest System Admin

I used Chocolate Malt and Coco-Powder in mine and turned out really good.

Adding Vanilla to batch priming helps bring out the chocolate flavors (just an FYI)