Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brewno

Fermenting at 80 degrees

I checked on the lbk im sitting at 80 degrees. Is this to hot?? I would hate to produce off flavors due to high temp fermentation.

That's not good. High temps tend to produce a different type of alcohol, an undesirable type, especially in the first week of fermentation. I've had a few mild cases of it and then one strong case of it that smelled and tasted like varnish or nail polis remover. After that, I immediately went out and got some ice chests for my LBK's, and I keep frozen water bottles as needed to keep temps between 65 and 70 degrees as much as possible.

its only been fermenting for 2 days. think ill be fine if i get it into a cooler room? or did i ruin the batch

As JoeC said Get a couple of coolers and keep some 1/2 gal frozen water bottles to keep the temps in proper range. Might try to drop in fridge to lower temp if it has not been over aout 8 hours.

If you can get it to a cooler spot, that would be good. The sooner the better. Even a cool damp t-shirt would help. Can't honestly say if any harsh alcohol tastes have already happened.

"Brewno" post=300020 said:

its only been fermenting for 2 days. think ill be fine if i get it into a cooler room? or did i ruin the batch

Cooler Room, PRONTO, senor....get that baby down to balmy 65* - 68* and she will purr like a kitten and taste good too!!! Like JoeC says "frozen water bottles in a ice chest"

well i got it down to 72 by moving it to a different room and putting a cold wet towel on it. i think itll drop down a few more degrees overnight. the room i have it now gets fairly cold. i did squeeze the towel onto the lbk to move it. and i heard air go out and come back in when i set it down. that wont hurt anything will it? i hope

if you let it suck air in there is a small chance that you might have contaminated the batch...but you won't know until you get a chance to taste it. Whenever I move my LBK's, I pick them up from the bottom and move them gently, trying not to slosh the liquid around inside. You'll probably be fine, but I wouldn't do that again.

I had the wet towel over the top of the lid so hopefully that might of helped keep SOME stuff out of it haha

Guest System Admin

Go ahead and ferment it out for 3 weeks and bottle. If the beer is lacking carb after 4 weeks it must be disposed of by a professional.

Ship it to me and I'll take care of it for you.

:evil:

"Brewno" post=300065 said:

so in other words.. It should be fine? lol

[attachment=9584]yougotit.jpg[/attachment]

My first batch was the WCPA, and it fermented at 80F, and tasted like rat piss. My second batch was the Quiet Creek Kolsch fermented in the mid 60's, and it was one of my best brews so far. I really wish I had saved a bottle

I don't mean at all to differ from those who recommend keeping the temperature lower, because that is the best. However, I have seen multiple web site discussions elsewhere saying that the Coopers ale yeast that I have been buying from other sources, in 7-gram gold packages, is fine up to 80 degrees - although it can produce fruity or woody flavors this warm. If the new downunda yeast is the same, you're probably fine.

I checked HomeBrewTalk which is the other main site I read and found these two excerpts regarding the teamp range:

Midwest says the yeast is good between 62-72F. Even at 74F,it doesn't produce diacetyl. It has to go higher than that to get that result. What results at 70F on up is a bit of nondescript fruity esters on the backend. Not what I'd consider an "off flavor" though. Temps below 70F give off a lot less of this ester.

What they mean is that higher temps, it'll still make drinkable beer, but with more diacetyl than you'd get otherwise. But damn that BS! Just keep the temp between 65-68 and the results will be pretty damn good.

From the what it's worth file, on my first batch Aztec Cerveza I had the same probs you are experiencing. I didn't move the link tho. I got a freezer pack and put next to Tje lbk and wrapped with towel. I found this method worked real well and have used on subsequent batches and have kept the temps nice and steady. On the other side when the lbk gets too cool I take a sunbeam heat pad ( from drugstore) wrap around the KVM and put on low setting. This works well too, just keep an eye on temps so it doesn't get to warm. Also maybe this will ease your mind, my Cerveza came out fine. I took it home over the thanksgiving weekend and of all the beer, mine was the preferred. I came home with nothing but empty beer bottles. Listen to what these guys tell you. 3 weeks in LBK and min 4 conditioning and u should be alright.

If your having trouble keeping temps low consider brewing a saison.
The saison yeast strain benefits from a higher fermentation temp.
Other Belgian yeast strains work the same way too, just google your specific yeast strain to see it's optimal temperature range.

ok i got it down to a 67-70 range. The last batch i did is comming up on 2 weeks in the bottles and it doesn't taste the best.. I think it may have fermented the full 2 weeks at 80,Hoping leaving it in the bottles a few more weeks wil help. Thanks for all the suggestions!

well i took another taste from brew #1 and i'm pretty sure i fermented to hot. It has a strong rubbing alcohol smell. Lucklily i got my current batch at 68-70 degrees. What should i do about batch 1? leave it sit in the closet or let them cold conditon. Carb and head retension is awesome.

Time will help smooth out the hot alcoholic taste I believe.
Someone more experienced than me can confirm that though.