Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dustin

OG and FG question

Hello folks, its been a few months since my last visit here. I had to take the summer and fall off of brewing and I just brewed my first batch since May.

My question is I achieved FG in record time 8 days and I am asking if this sounds normal to any of you. Here are the details.

This is a basic all grain batch.

10lbs of US Two Row
2 lbs of Crystal 20L
8 oz maltodextrine (last 2 minutes of the boil)
1 oz US Golding (60 min)
1 oz Crystal (45 min)
1 oz US Golding (10 min)
1 wyeast smack pack with activator of American Ale Yeast

In qBrew my estimated OG was 1.066 and I actually got 1.060 so that is pretty good. qBrew estimated my final gravity at 1.016 and only after 8 days of fermentation I am sitting at 1.010 right now which should be right around 6.7 ABV which is exactly what I was shooting for but is 8 days way to short of a time to get that much gravity change? I estimated my mash efficiency at about 83%.

I just tested the gravity and tasted it and it all looks, tastes, and smells great. I guess this yeast must just act very fast because 8 days seems super quick if you ask me.

Just looking for your thoughts.

It can happen that quickly, certainly, if all the conditions are right.

Even so, I'd give it another week, at least, so the yeast can clean things up. Won't hurt anything to wait, at least.

Thanks Dave, and usually I ferment at least 14 days sometimes 18 - 21 depending on gravity. I was just super psyched that the majority of the fermentation happened that fast and my efficiency was so good especially being out of brewing for 6 months I thought my skills would have diminished.

Dustin, The only real way to tell if your fermentation is done is to get the same FG reading for 2-3 days in a row. But if you don't have a hydrometer letting it go 21 days won't hurt anything, unless you're in a hurry to brew another batch.

"Screwy Brewer" post=300915 said:

Dustin, The only real way to tell if your fermentation is done is to get the same FG reading for 2-3 days in a row. But if you don't have a hydrometer letting it go 21 days won't hurt anything, unless you're in a hurry to brew another batch.

I've got a hydrometer lol

I typically do not make a habit of taking gravity readings many days in a row unless I am worried about the process. In this case and with the drastic change in gravity in only 8 days I will just let it sit another week and bottle.

Thanks

I brewed a IIPA with an OG of 1.090 pitched it on a yeast cake from Blonde Ale and it was down to 1.020 in 5 days. BeerSmith calculated FG at 1.017 so not far off. May have been there sooner but did not check until day 5. After 2 more weeks that was as low as it went.
So yes, under the right conditions a beer can ferment out in 5-8 days. Just let the yeast clean up for a total 14-21 days.

Some yeasts are just monsters. I'm not familiar with the yeast you used, but my limited experience with smack-packs is that they tend to be pretty aggressive and efficient.