Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jsan2011

Yeast

Okay I took a peak with a flashlight last night and I saw some yeast floating on top. Does the yeast fall to the bottom when it's done?

Yes. The top of the beer will eventually clear, for the most part, and everything eventually settles to the bottom.

"packerduf" post=301430 said:

Yes. The top of the beer will eventually clear, for the most part, and everything eventually settles to the bottom.

+1 for that post.

The biggest hurdle to overcome in home brewing is patience. Give the yeasties time to do their job. It will clean up nicely, and fall to the bottom.

Best thing to do is just forget the beer exists for at least 14 days (preferably 21). As tough as it might be at times. It's the best recipe for a good beer.

If you are wanting to know for sure if the fermentation process is complete. It is best to take hydrometer readings. You will know for sure if it is ready to bottle.

+1 +1 FLA Brewer.... First batch of standard (came with the kit) brew was ready to be cold conditioned after the 2,2 point. Once it was cold I could not resist and cracked a bottle. The term "green beer" was never more accurate. It tasted like beer but was sweet, carbonated like soda, and smelled still yeasty. I drank it all mind you (waste not want not and all that), but will let the rest of the bottles cold condition for 2 or more weeks. Being a noob I know drinking your home brew early is completely expected. :gulp:

@Jen:

Wait !

Are you saying that you are cold conditioning after 2 weeks fermenting and only 2 weeks in the bottles?

That's too early to put 'em in the fridge! The bottled beer needs 4 weeks to carb/condition at room temps BEFORE going in the fridge.

Once you put it in the fridge, conditioning of ale yeasts stop as the yeast goes to sleep.

Guest System Admin

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=301495 said:

That's too early to put 'em in the fridge! The bottled beer needs 4 weeks to carb/condition at room temps BEFORE going in the fridge.

Once you put it in the fridge, conditioning of ale yeasts stop as the yeast goes to sleep.

Correct :charlie:

Wanting to taste your first batch early is expected. Though you will have a MUCH better beer if you leave it carb/conditioning for at least 4 weeks, as Wings_Fan suggested before going to the fridge.

@jsan2011, the urge to peek is normal, and I still do it, especially during the first couple of days. I brewed a batch yesterday and looked at it as soon as I got home from work this evening. The yeast were churning around, there was a healthy krausen on top, and the blow-off was bubbling nicely, so I was satisfied. I probably won't bother to check it until I get close to bottling day, in three weeks.

But don't be concerned. Those floating particles are normal, they'll fall out of suspension, and you'll have a nice, clear beer if you're patient enough to wait four weeks at room temperature after you bottle, and give it a couple of days in the fridge.

The waiting is the hardest part, believe me.